Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister Forum Gathering/Engine show  (Read 17101 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Lister Forum Gathering/Engine show
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
I have been showing engines at the Oblong engine show for the past few years;

http://www.theonlyoblong.com/antique_engine/

Butch Cherrington brought over his two beautiful engines last year as did Tom Jambowitz.  We had a nice gathering of British iron that probably has never before happened on this side of the pond.  

I have talked to Paul (Contracreek) and Butch (38AC) and we are testing the waters to see if there is interest in gathering on a larger scale.  This show is in early August and that would be the place to gather.  I am offering my place as a gathering spot.  I am about 50 minutes away from Oblong.  This is a nice friendly show with a nice collection of larger permanant display engines.

I have a call into the Oblong show folks to run this past them.  

Your thoughts?

Bob
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:35:34 PM by rleonard »
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister Forum Gathering/Engine show
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
As Bob said we just had a phone conversation about this and was funny that we both have been thinking about the same thing, a gathering of sort for dieselheads. As for engine types welcome I am very open as I like them all.  British, Indian, Chinese, Polish or what ever would be OK but as Bob said nothing in stone and looking for inputs and checking for interest.  Oblong Illinois was mentioned since we had an unofficial type gathering  there last summer and as Bob said it is a pretty nice venue for what we are discussing.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »
Anyone from Ontario besides me ??
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »
I spoke with Mike Garrard of the Oblong show group.  They would be happy to accommodate us.  Flyers are already ordered so we probably would not be featured in the first round of advertising.  If a second printing is done, we could be promoted.

Bob

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »

What are the dates for the show?  I had planned on being in Olney to visit family the first week of the month but then I have to be

in Alaska the middle of the month.  Would be nice to take in the engine show and meet with you all.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:36 AM »
The Oblong show is the second weekend in August

Bob

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:42:28 AM »

Drat!  I have to be in Fairbanks on the 11th.  OK, maybe next year.

Dave

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:57:33 AM »
What are you doing in Fairbanks Dave? It is full-on winter up there don't you know?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:09:25 AM »

No - OH NO - The 11th of Aug (when the Oblong show starts)  I haven't been to Alaska in the wintertime in 43 years and it still chills me to the bone to think
 of it.  This summer we're meeting friends for a trip to Denali Park.  Haven't seen some of them in 30 years or better and the logistics were hard enough to work out this time.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
Oblong show in 2 weeks. 

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 05:44:43 AM »

Steam Engines
  http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/EventsSchedule.html   steamevents -   July 4th, and mid September
 I'm in the same town, Willits, Calif,  if anyone  is wandering on
the west coast engine shows, feel free to contact me.

Mike

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
Those guys have a lot of neat old logging equipment, including a steam locomotive. I think I'll try and make the July 4th show.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
So did the get together ever happen at the oblong show? Will there be a get together in 2013? Engine shows are fun
Honda lee

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
Just a bump

Steam Engines
  http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/EventsSchedule.html   steamevents -   July 4th, and mid September
 I'm in the same town, Willits, Calif,  if anyone  is wandering on
the west coast engine shows, feel free to contact me.

Mike

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 06:42:57 AM »
Sept 7 & 8 2013  Next weekend  (in Willits, CA.  3 hours north of San Francisco on the 101 hwy)

http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/EventsSchedule.html#Festival
    Roots of Motive Power Festival
  The major steam-up event of the year is the Roots of Motive Power Festival, held annually in September at the Roots facility. Our work efforts throughout the year are aimed at having every piece of operable equipment under power. Plumes of steam and the shrieks of steam whistles will fill the air as a variety of steam-powered equipment is fired up.
  In addition to the steam-up we reserve the Recreation Grove Park across the street for the Early Day Gas Engine Society and Bill Rose's Model A Tour group to set up under the oaks. Late Saturday afternoon in the park we also hold the annual Roots Appreciation BBQ and raffle which has become legendary among the gourmet BBQ set. The smell of whole pigs roasting on the spit draws a huge crowd for the perfect ending to a wonderful day.
  The steam-up is free and open to the public, however there is a charge for the BBQ.

But wait - there's more:     *The 2nd Annual Willits Kinetic Carnivale powers up on September 7 and 8 with a full weekend of activities combining the old and new in a way that is uniquely Mendocino and totally 21st century. Visit www.KineticCarnivale.com for more information.  (I'm in a RR hand-car race crew)

September 8

*Willits Airport Day and Kinetic Fly-in: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Willits airport. Historic and unusual aircraft are expected to be flying into Willits to help celebrate the 49th anniversary of the Willits airport. Flights in a variety of aircraft being offered to the public for a small fee. ($35 plane, $60 helo) A free shuttle links the airport activities with the combined Kinetic and Steam festivals.

////   
   I'll be busy with a handcar entered in the handcar races, and my listeroid is in pieces while wife has me digging garbage out of creek and planting 4x4 fence posts .  But if anyone wants to say hi, drop me an email, and I'll send you my ph #
   Mike