Author Topic: You Tube Vids  (Read 25696 times)

bloomers359

• View Profile
You Tube Vids
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
A good bunch videos of info and tips for Listers & listeroids on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/user/WCAEAPS?feature=watch

38ac

• View Profile
Re: You Tube Vids
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »
Take it easy on him guys, he is a newbie ;D
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
[edit: no, I'm not going to say anything.]

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:22:05 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:05 PM »
IRT the videos, is that who I think it is:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:26:25 AM »
Yes it's who you think it is.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »
Yes it's who you think it is.

Timken trailer bearings...  So that's how they last 100,000 hours...  Whooda thunkit:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 02:05:22 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D I figgured this would be a kool thread,  ;D ;D ;D

Have any of you watched the snow vids yet? Purdy good entertainment.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:10:29 AM by 38ac »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:50 AM »
Wow, now he's pitching 85-140W gear oil for engine lube, and synthetic grease on the rocker arm, no oil on the valves. 100K hours. Hmmm.

bloomers359

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »

Tell me more... :-)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »

Tell me more... :-)

Willem is,,, ahhh,,, ummm,,,  ???  I don't know how to describe him.,, maybe a legend in his own mind? My Father would have described him as a "fart in a wind storm" I would describe him to be like vapor. Here today, gone tomorrow, business changes weekly. Nobody seems to know him personally and nobody claims to own any of his engines even though the many different  sites over the years  would lead you to believe he produces them by the car load.  I think I have seen exactly one of his engines, on Ebay several years ago. I make no claim to being a Lister expert but I am an engine man. Some of the things he promotes are actually good, some is nothing short of pure BS. Be carefull what you take in of his rambles.

He was thrown off here years ago, long before I came here.  Search " Old Style Lister" or Willem Adree.

Hate to say it but actually he is darned entertaining for me to listen to, he makes me laugh 8) 8) 8)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
It really is too bad that he had developed such a reputation. The videos are interesting and contain some good information. Certainly, the switch from plain bearings to roller or tapered roller bearings is not a guarantee of increase in longevity. The support provided by tapered roller bearings could be far inferior to a well designed and oiled plain bearing.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
Does anyone remember him crowing on his website of how clever he was for saving money and using cold rolled steel for the bus bars connecting his batteries, and how he gushed at how much power was going through them because they got smoking hot?  It never occurred to him what that heat represented.  And do you remember where the batteries with hot bus bars were located?  Close beneath the wooden floor joists of a childrens' day care his family ran. 

I think that one was shortly after the rant about how he was cutting the cord and going off-grid because the evil electric utility had the unmittigated gall to turn off his service just because he hadn't paid his 'lectric bill.  I'm sure he's registered under a false name and is reading this.  Check in and see how his website and videos will have changed once he realizes (again) that we're on to him.

q.
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
Yes, Willem's posting under aliases, to have conversations with himself, and to self-promote was very- "memorable". The ever shifting businesses and stories relating to them were memorable too.  

I didn't see anything on important basic longevity issues like idler gear lash problems which XYZ'er (Dave) researched, identified, published, and offered a bargain solution for (the offset idler bolt- thanks XYZer). I guess that's what his use of 85W gear oil is for. Nor did he get the main bearing/lubrication issue resolved (the hollow dipper by XYZer and groove-less upper bearings by JohnF - woodnstuff.ca).  

I feel sorry for the newbies trying to sort through his material. They'll never know which third are nonsense.  The clips showing using a rod to rough check main gear and cam lobes was actually useful, though I  doubt he's ever done any corrective work, since he has no jigs, and talks about using excessive valve lash to compensate.

I'd forgotten the steel battery buss bars- what a hoot. Thanks, Q.

The word sociopath is popping into my head; I can't imagine why.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
I'm told he's a nice enough guy, if you met him, just possessed of an enormous ego and not much to show for it.  Hence, the videos, some of which showing projects that only my hero Red Green would be proud of.

Pithy quote:  "The wise man knows what he doesn't know, while the foolish one doesn't know what he doesn't know."

- or -

"A man's got to know his limitations."

-- Dirty Harry

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
I'm replying to myself.  Not a good sign, since we're talking of diagnosable psychological conditions . . .

But here's a blast from the past:

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=3012.msg36543#msg36543

and another one:

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=1578.msg18962#msg18962

If you're a Noob, or know anyone who is, they really need to read those threads.

quinn