Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS with Integeral Cooling Hopper  (Read 8044 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Lister CS with Integeral Cooling Hopper
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:23:55 AM »
Interesting accessory.
Here's a Lister CS with a bolt-on hopper attached to the cooling jacket inspection plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBLyjcx3bpo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Stan

Re: Lister CS with Integeral Cooling Hopper
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »
Still not enough mass to keep a Lister cool when under any sort of a load unless your in Nome Alaska in the winter.  The minimum mass of water needed to cool a Lister in a temperate climate is 45 Imp. gallons, and in a tropical climate 2 x 45 Imp gallon drums.

Interesting add-on though, I wonder how much stress that hopper full of water would put on that cast plate?  Especially with the vibration factored in.
Stan

Edit: I see there's two small rods bolted to the fuel tank frame, maybe to take up some of the stress.  They don't seem to be in the right position to take any weight although maybe they help a little with the vibration.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:43:42 AM by Stan »

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
Still not enough mass to keep a Lister cool when under any sort of a load unless your in Nome Alaska in the winter. The minimum mass of water needed to cool a Lister in a temperate climate is 45 Imp. gallons, and in a tropical climate 2 x 45 Imp gallon drums.

That's why you just keep adding water to the hopper as it boils away, so as to make up for evaporative losses. Hopper cooled engines were intended to be used where the operator is in full time attendance.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »

That's why you just keep adding water to the hopper as it boils away, so as to make up for evaporative losses. Hopper cooled engines were intended to be used where the operator is in full time attendance.

Here in the states the men who tended engines, compressors and the like were called "oilers" in the union books. Although the job is still listed it has been a long time since i have seen anyone doing  it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Stan

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
Tnx Listard....I've absolutely no experience with hopper cooled engines other than seeing them running at shows.  I've often wondered how one could hook up a generator to a hopper cooled engine and leave it run for an extended period.

Somewhere back in the dim memory banks stored up there, I seem to remember a plate that you could bolt on to a hopper that had hose fittings on it for that purpose, maybe it was a changfa type engine that was on.
Stan

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:18:30 PM »
It took me a couple years but I finally got a response and pitures of this rare option in a thread I started over at SEF in the U.K.   http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9335&highlight=hopper   It is the same engine. The tank was reproduced to match the rotted original. I have the before pics somewhere...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:10:16 PM by contaucreek »
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:57:55 PM »
Has it been researched as a "Dursley" original equipment option?
Stan

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »
Has it been researched as a "Dursley" original equipment option?

Yes David Edgingtons book on CS engines mentions the hopper as an original option.

Mick

Stan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 02:02:46 AM »
I must get my hands on that book one of these days.  I hope it's still in print?
Stan

Edit...Ah yes, I see it's still available from Stationary Engine Books.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:05:04 AM by Stan »

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 02:39:16 AM »
That book is a MUST. If you order it from SEB then request for David to give you a special inscription  ;)
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
Lots of places to purchase Edgington's books. We also keep them in stock in the US.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Stan

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
Thanks, I see Chapters and Amazon have a couple of his books but not that one.  I'll keep looking here in Canada first, I've been having a devil of a time getting things across the border.  My last try was a $65 machine, that could have fit in a very small shoebox, weighed 7 lbs and the store was asking $85 to ship it to me in Canada.  No thanks, I'll try Canadian suppliers first more and more from now on.
stan