Puppeteer

Author Topic: oil presure  (Read 11135 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: oil presure
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »
I concur that the Indian copies sometimes leave much to be desired... however, the basic design has proven to be successful over a half a century in a lot of different engine models and aside from the normal wear-and-tear issues, gives very little trouble. I say check out your components - if the machining and fit is proper and the unit pumps as it should - you are golden!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Don_Edwards

• View Profile
    • krawlr.com
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
I never had an issue since I put the Vitons in but I can switch back to steel just in case.

I'm making a primer system using a Mazda slave cylinder to backfeed the oiling system. I'll be able to juice it up good before it ever cranks from now on.
Don Edwards

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
There might be different versions.  The one I have had the ball resting against a (really poor quality) clearly hand-wound coiled spring about the size of one you'd find in a ball point pen.  I never even bothered to see if it would work.  Don't get me started. 

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 12:31:15 AM »
When I initially took my engine apart I took the oil pump apart and found both balls lying horizontally at the top of their bore, they had made small indents in the sides of the bore, now how in the hell did those balls get sideways?
BioDiesel Brewer

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:21 AM »
Gremlins at work!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 02:42:42 AM »
When I initially took my engine apart I took the oil pump apart and found both balls lying horizontally at the top of their bore, they had made small indents in the sides of the bore, now how in the hell did those balls get sideways?

Turbulence in the oil flowing past the balls causes them to rattle around at the top of bore, and they probably beat into the sides of bore doing so.  (We have a diaphragm chemical pump that has plastic check valves and a clear plastic body, I can see the balls rattling around in it).
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:04 AM »
Clarification:  The springs were holding the balls gently against their seats in the pump I have.  The inside of the pump was (poorly) machined from brass, so it wouldn't take much rattling of a steel ball to peen the seat out of shape.  

When you mentioned the balls rattling around and the damage they can cause, I was tempted to draw an illustration involving testicles and an athletic supporter.  But it's probably too soon to do so, since I recently mentioned the fat lady in a thong riding a bicycle down a washboard road as an illustration of the forces that must be countered when balancing a single cylinder engine.  So I'll resist engaging your imagination for now.   ::)

q.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:20:53 AM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew