Puppeteer

Author Topic: All members - some thoughts.  (Read 14807 times)

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
Re: All members - some thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 09:31:07 PM »
<< snip >>

MY way is different.

My way is I can fall out with one or two people, and when we have fallen out we both can continue posting, even to the same thread, we just stay off standing on each others toes and nobody else has to pick sides.

that leaves the door open for me and them to stumble across something in future we agree upon, and perhaps decide we like each other after all.

"my way or the highway" doesn't cut it, unless you own the highway of course, which you don't.

One way to tell a good friend from just a friend is if you can have a flat out never going to convince me argument while unloading his $10,000 tractor at your place so you can do a little dirt work for the cost of the fuel. >:(

Guy and I may have different opinions on the usefulness or at least the application of certain equations, but based on the type of stuff he carries around in his vehicle I am reasonably sure we would have some good times if he were living next door.

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:03:06 PM »
I wonder if flaming is all this thread is going to be useful for?  GuyFawkes and I haven't gotten along too well at times.  Doesn't mean I'm going to start crap in every thread he posts.....  He has redeming qualities outside of suggesting that Oil is a terribly corrosive lubricant that should be replaced with Water.....  :-P

As long at the already definied topics for the forums are followed, I fail to see how limiting things severely can be useful.  We already have a place for "other slow-speed engines" and such.  Plenty of diversity at the top of the page on Indian/Original Listers, etc...

I say it's fine the way it is.  It's organized and easy to find information.  The "other stuff" isn't mixed in, making things hard to find.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 11:47:10 PM »
yes I want, at the very least you can post links to some pictures.....

I think you should give me one of your engines, that is much fairer...  ::)

I will try to get some up tomorrow.
Took me a long time to find the first engine, but it was like bate for the next.  A guy come up to me at a local threshing show and says you know I think I have an engine like that in the weeds someplace.  I am not sure how you lose track of 5000lbs of iron you have been mowing around for 20 years.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 03:51:19 AM »
"I am not sure how you lose track of 5000lbs of iron you have been mowing around for 20 years."

now that is funny,,, sadly it probably shouldnt be.

god only knows how much cool stuff is out there rotting into the ground, an example
years ago while searching for 55 chevy parts, i came upon a farmstead with an old dual glide harley complete with leather
saddle bags rotting into the dirt (axles down to about 2 inches from the surface, spokes down in the ground)
i asked how much? he asked what does a new harley sell for? i replied i dunno maybe 3 grand. his responce,,,, well  i want 3 grand for that one! i asked if we could dig it out and push it into the barn? he said no!! it has been there for 20 years and it will continue to sit there.  some peoples children!

sorry i digress and effectively highjacked the thread :)

back on topic...

folks get all upset and get offended at being challenged, or at least some folks. The thing is we as regular folks don't get to
see first hand the level of discussion such as that in a scientific forum or debate where opposing sides really go to town in what would appear to be nothing short of a knock down drag out war of words, usually without fists. After which they all go to the bar and laugh at each other and get along if not well at least cordially.

personally i have said and i will say again, if one is sure of his position he should be able to relate it without name calling or ridicule. Basically state your position and support it! Give alternative view points or at least alternative questions. It serves no one to beat each other up by debaseing someone, and it really becomes tedious to alot of other folks that come along the forum and the offending thread. I wonder how many folks (fearing a flame job) withhold good and pertinent questions, experience or information.

ok now how about a group hug.... lmao

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 04:14:17 AM »
I used to run a forrum on home brewing and a funny thing happened about a year and a half into it....
We ran out of things to talk about. Every now and then a newbie would join the list and ask the same questions again and the same people would say the same things, and things would quite down at Good Homebrewing a slow and withering death realy.
The reason is we focussed on the technical aspects of brew and less on the enjoyment of the hobby. We thumbed our noses at extract brewers and debated pointless things. Now a quick pop over to Hopland a sister site today shows a lot more posts because they drink and chat about beer some brew some buy and some just drink wine....

Setting limits on a forrum is kind of foolish, at some point we'll run out of things to say once we identify the best Indian cam gear and solve the gentle weep of coolant. This is a hobby to some and a way of life to others, what you run is less important than the fact you run something.

Let it be Stationary and IC is all I ask. Lets explore all the options of speed, fuel and aplication. Let's talk about producer gas and cooking oil out of turkey guts. Let's see pictures of homes, kids and cottages. Lets keep the door open for all manner of electrical equipment pumping systems and perhaps even Hvac.

When we close the door off topic we risk loosing good ideas and people who will keep the discussions lively and open.

Doug

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 12:35:03 PM »
I used to run a forrum on home brewing and a funny thing happened about a year and a half into it....
We ran out of things to talk about. Every now and then a newbie would join the list and ask the same questions again and the same people would say the same things, and things would quite down at Good Homebrewing a slow and withering death realy.
The reason is we focussed on the technical aspects of brew and less on the enjoyment of the hobby. We thumbed our noses at extract brewers and debated pointless things. Now a quick pop over to Hopland a sister site today shows a lot more posts because they drink and chat about beer some brew some buy and some just drink wine....

Setting limits on a forrum is kind of foolish, at some point we'll run out of things to say once we identify the best Indian cam gear and solve the gentle weep of coolant. This is a hobby to some and a way of life to others, what you run is less important than the fact you run something.

Let it be Stationary and IC is all I ask. Lets explore all the options of speed, fuel and aplication. Let's talk about producer gas and cooking oil out of turkey guts. Let's see pictures of homes, kids and cottages. Lets keep the door open for all manner of electrical equipment pumping systems and perhaps even Hvac.

When we close the door off topic we risk loosing good ideas and people who will keep the discussions lively and open.

Doug

To which I can only add ...AMEN!  We live with too many (externally imposed) rules as is is, without adding a lot more of our own.

Russell
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »

Doug

To which I can only add ...AMEN!  We live with too many (externally imposed) rules as is is, without adding a lot more of our own.

Russell

I 3rd that motion....  Not that anyone would listen to me....  :-P

GerryH

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 03:52:41 AM »
GuyFawkes,
You have a good point, reguardless of the babble. I suggest we limit it to stationary engines under 100 hp. I just included that afterthought as I am going to be dealing with a Cat 3512 which is sho'nuf stationary, but not my style. Steam has always been a fantasy of mine. Used to subscribe to Light Steam Power mag from you neck of the woods

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »
Yay Doug!
I have very eclectic taste (and questionable spelling) and like this forum better than any other I've snooped around on.
Guy, I'd hate to have you impose those restrictions of yours on yourself  ;) you certainly wax eloquent, or at least Hot on your topic of the day. I check the posts for such good reading. There I go telling more about myself than I meant to..
I like the people that inhabit this little world. The topics range around, but always start at a Lister, and usually come back to one. These engines are no good unless they fill some need in our lives. Sofar I haven't needed mine except as an engineering project and an adjunct to my engineroom / powerplant. We haven't had a power failure since I got the dang thing!
I fade out from time to time, others have too. But I come back to see what my cyber buds are up to, and who the new ones are.
Scott E
I'm alittle concerned that the EPA restrictions will eventually doom this forum, but maybe it won't.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

GerryH

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »
Shipschief, Doug,
I like your thoughts. Thats why I suggested to GF that if he wants restrictions make them wide enough to include everyone. Guy would be bitten in the ass by these restrictions almost immediately, reading his posts. But even the 100 hp rule excludes some interesting people like Mamad. I like hearing from them thats doing, and those Stork's he was playing with were too much hp.

However, as has been noted elsewhere here, this site functions in an unmoderated condition. Sometimes this causes frustration with people and their childish behavior, and I think GF wants to weed out the Listeroid wannbe's who wouldn't even know which way to crank the thing. Other members have said this privately, and George B. just sees red over this forum because of this.

To me the best example of the usefulness of this site is the help Geno recieved in removing his butchered gib key. When I need help I know where I am coming to for advise.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 09:28:44 PM »
  I'm a newbie of course, and the engine I have right now is a Lister-Petter AC-1 3600 rpm.  Listeroid on the way.  Trying to find all the pieces of a Briggs & Stratton ZZ around here someplace.  I appreciate this forum a lot.  I don't consider the AC-1 appropriate to get into in depth on this site other than as to how they apply to the Listeroids.  I can get info about it at other places.  Same for the Briggs.  How many places can you get info. about the Listeroids??  Maybe that could be one starting point -  Info not available elsewhere -  for the situation. 
  Forum seems to be doing OK for now, IF offtrack things start to build up then consider moving them into a different slot.  Les
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Doug

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 05:34:21 PM »
Off track is good....
An area for everything, because I do like to ramble.

Doug

guest161

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »

Doug

lets see, what is it....+4 now?

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 11:31:19 PM »
What bothers  me most about the rambling nature of this list is when  one posts which  is appropriate for that heading and some one  throws off the wall crap in and then someone  replys  effectivly hijacking the thread.. A few more joine in and the subject title now dosent represent crap. It bothers  me enough that I now rarley ever read and even less joine in. I have found the list as whole full of usefull suggestions though.

Greg
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 01:42:02 AM »
   "Want to weed out the Listeroid wannabes " well,that takes care of me. I don't have one yet,and with the EPA thing ,I may not be able to get one . Does that mean I'm not welcome,how about the other guys who discover Listers,and cant get one?  You guys sound just like Dr Suese's "Star Bellied Sneeches"
   I don't suppose that old IHUD9 that I got rusting quietly out back counts huh? Just a tad to fast ------OH well