Puppeteer

Author Topic: SR4 Rebuild  (Read 14108 times)

Rxe

• View Profile
Re: SR4 Rebuild
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
Wow, you're quicker at checking availability than I am!  Yes, the price is ugly, but as I said, if I wanted cost effective, I'd have got a Yanmar.  Some people spend that much on a night out clubbing.  I'd rather be in the garage fixing an SR4.

I'll drop them a line and report back.   

Thrusts are fine.

Rxe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »
And now for some good news: Sleeman have delivered a new set of undersize bearings and a couple of the felt seals for the bottom end.   

I'm pretty close to CMES, so they're going to get the grinding job.  While I'm at it, I will wire brush all of the old flakey paint off the outside of the block, then get them to put it through their parts washer.  Assembly will be easier with a nice clean block, and it will take paint rather more easily!

I've found the bolt holding the cam in, will hopefully have time next weekend to get it all ready for machining.

Rxe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »
Good news and bad news.

Good news: the cam and the oil pump are out.   The cam was easy - pull the dowel on the top deck out, withdraw cam.  Simple.  The oil pump was very stuck.  The instructions say "undo the two set screws and withdraw".  Hmmm.   A shim of wood and a big lever behind it eventually persuaded it out. 

Bad news:  I dropped the oil pump, and one of the "ears" for the set screw has snapped.   I assume that this is a unique oil pump, and I have the only one in existence on my work bench!   (or maybe it is the same as the SR3 pump).   I'm not overly worried - given the way the pump is shoved in, I think the ears stop it rotating over time rather than materially holding it in.   If I can get a spare housing, I will rebuild the pump in to it.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
 I assume that this is a unique oil pump, and I have the only one in existence on my work bench!   

Listers also made a SL4 engine, which would share the same type of oil pump, but in reality this would be just as rare as the SR4 engine.

Other than reasemble it as it now is your only other realistic option would be to contact Sleeman and Hawken to see if they have any remaining stock.

The oil pump would not have been made by Listers, so if it has any identification on it, you could contact the manufacturer directly if they still exist.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
For anyone in the UK interested in buying one of these engines, I have just noticed this offering that has appeared on Ebay UK:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lister-diesel-4xcyl-petter-dumper-/160780301134?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item256f40b34e