Author Topic: Variable flow propane CS conversion  (Read 5284 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Variable flow propane CS conversion
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:00:04 PM »
I'll start a new thread so I don't keep polluting the turbo thread. 

My original post:

"I did some testing with adding propane to my intake manifold and got a modest power increase with adding propane fuel to my 6/1. I also got a cleaner burn (heavy load with black smoke in the exhaust became a no smoke load with propane added to air intake).  I like the convenience of propane (delivered), and I like the cleaner exhaust and engine.  So I may fiddle with some home-brew propane throttle/metering one of these days.  By crude fuel rack position measurement it appeared that up to 80% propane ran reasonably well with no timing/compression change (at my 5600 feet elevation). The hard part is metering the propane at a variety of loads/rack positions. On the gas conversion kits it's done with intake manifold pressure, but I have doubts about that working with our little intake pipe."

Response from CarlB:
"Bruce,

I run my listeroid on diesel and natural gas.  As it is only used for backup purposes i don't have a lot of hours on it, maybe 50 hours or so.
 What I did was use a small adjustable needle valve and set it to add enough natural gas to handle 1500 to 1700 watts or so which is about the normal draw during backup usage.  With the needle valve adjusted in this manor the rack is almost completely closed,  using just enough fuel to keep the engine running.  When the load increases the rack opens adding more diesel as needed.  I have pulled 3500 watts for short periods of time with my 6/1 with very little black smoke.  When running at lower loads the exhaust is very clean and not smoke can be detected.  Also when running natural gas the exhaust does not have a strong diesel odor.   I figure the ratio is about 80/20 natural gas to diesel maybe 85/15.

If you wanted to really have it handle varying loads you could disconnect the governor from the ip and set the fuel rack to just barely keep the engine running at say 300rpm then have the governor open and close the natural gas valve as needed."

Response from BruceM:

"Hi Carlb, thanks for the info on your natural gas setup.    It sure is a nice, simple solution for your setup with a relatively fixed load. The problem with a fixed gas injection rate is that when your load is cyclical (like a washing machine), you must settle for a much lower (LP or Natural) gas proportion in order to avoid knocking at the load "lulls".  I typically have the well pump and washer on at the same time, but the pump will kick off once the tank is full, and the washer draws nada during fill times or between cycles. "

Response from dieselgman:
"The natural gas Listers do have a gas carburetors and throttle connections to the governor, that kind of setup could allow for varying loads and automatic operation."

Response from BruceM:
"Thanks Dieselgman.  I just went to your website- wow!  I'm thrilled to see a US supplier of parts and engines/rebuild kits. What a great service!  I'll be ordering some spares soon.

Do you have a mechanical linkage gas carb that would be appropriate size for a CS 6/1?"

Response from dieselgman:

"Bruce, the Impco gas carbs we have are jetted/sized for both twin and triple HRs. Higher displacements than your CS. I would expect that they could be modified to suit a smaller demand engine though. The throttle body is of a size that could be easily made to fit. Governor linkages would be custom for sure, but maybe could be adapted from the existing 6/1 setup. An interesting thing to consider. I will take a good look at our parts here and see what can be done.

I have done some conversions on V-8 gasoline engines but possibly quite a different beast than a diesel Listeroid being fueled in this way. The Lister HRGs are low-compression spark-ignition variants of the diesel HR."

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Variable flow propane CS conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
Thanks in advance for taking a look, dieselgman!
Bruce M

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:32 AM »
Here is an Impco updraft 110 with side entry as used on Lister HR3G. We also have Impco 125 updraft with bottom entry and Impco 225 updrafts around the shop here. The 110 and 125 both use a throttle body with 1 3/4" i.d. and a flange bolt center of 2 3/4". These meter the fuel intake with a direct mechanical governor linkage - and that in concert with a vacuum controlled valve (built into the carb) can vary gaseous fuel feed in concert with actual loads/engine speed.

dieselgman

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:34:11 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:46:58 AM »
Thanks dieselgman!

I found a drawing for the CA55 (rated down to 1.5 HP) - yep, there is a butterfly valve for air metering.  I'm not sure these Impco carbs are the right thing for a diesel "add on" propane valve. I'll have to study the parts diagram more to see what they're doing...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:59:24 AM by BruceM »

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:44:16 AM »

dieselgman,

Aren't those carbs for the NG Listers with spark plugs (diesels converted for NG) ?

Wonder how it would work with true diesels using liquid fuel for pilot ignition.?
The original diesel fuel system would have to remain in-tact to supply the ignition.

veggie

GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:43:26 AM »
Yes, those carbs are for spark ignition Listers (and others)... the HRG models are not 'converted diesels' but they do use the exact same bottom end as the diesel HRs.

We have not experimented with these yet but it may be possible with the right Macguyver - not certain how to do it but the resource is there to experiment with.

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:09 AM »
Also, these same systems can be adjusted to run on LPG.

dieselgman

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 04:13:48 AM »
Thanks again, dieselgman. These would be perfect for an LPG-spark conversion, but for a diesel with propane add-on they won't work; they are designed to regulate the gas flow via intake manifold vacuum, which won't work right on a diesel due to the lack of butterfly valve and adequate intake manifold vacuum.

I guess I'll have to make my own low force metering valve or modify something suitable like a gas stove valve or some parts from a 2 cycle RC engine carb (a free moving ball valve, in effect). A ball valve can have it's output linearized via a notched plate next to the valve.