Author Topic: I'm New Have pity on me  (Read 3370 times)

Yianie

• View Profile
I'm New Have pity on me
« on: December 29, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »
I'm the new guy so please have pity on me. I only know two things that I am a mechanical engineer, and that I want a lister engine. If I can get any input on where to find one that would be awesome, thank you.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: I'm New Have pity on me
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:04:16 AM »
First off hello and welcome. ;)
Are you looking for a real Lister or an Indian clone also known as Listeroid? Shipping is expensive and expensive times two if shipped twice so it would help if we knew your whereabouts?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
Basically check eBay and CraigsList, also check eBay U.K. There are a few that come up for sale from time-to-time. If you have the patience then the auction circuit sometimes has some old iron. You can purchase old stock when it comes available or buy parts and build your own... current production clone engines can no longer be imported into the USA due to EPA regulation. There are parts vendors here to help you get whatever you might need though.

What would you like to do with such an engine? Are you setting up an off-grid power system? Want to tinker with an antique? Want emergency backup power for a household or shop?

Welcome to the forum!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Yianie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
Thank you for your welcome.  I do not currently have a need, I own an Apollo 6500 generator already.  Its diesel and nice, but I would like to put together a genset with a Lister.  Do I need one? No, but I would like to own something I can tear apart and put together.  Also, I really like the simplicity of the engine.  True engineering is  what is simple, not high tech.  When I was a kid, visiting the island in Greece my mother grew up in, I used to hear a very strange noise in the distance.  I did not know what that noise was until recently.  Just need to have it now.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
The Lister slow-speed clone engines have a loyal following for the reasons you mention... and others. The economics may be questionable for some folks, but if it is the pure enjoyment of an antique engine you are after, you are in the right place! 6/1, 8/1, 18/1 singles (less than 850rpm) and a similar complement of twin cylinder models are available... sometimes as complete engines and sometimes as parts - as in projects or kits. We can help you find whatever it is you would like. What is your location?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Maybe that engine is still sitting in it's shed on that island, alone, abandoned....................... :D
BioDiesel Brewer