Author Topic: Fuel filter modification for cast iron filter heads  (Read 4789 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Fuel filter modification for cast iron filter heads
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
 :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:07:27 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Stan

Re: Fuel filter modification for cast iron filter heads
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:03 AM »
Here's my method.  Using the original housing but ditching the "snake" cotton filter for a FRAM C11860PL which is really a crossland 457 english filter that almost fits perfectly. All you have to do is add a piece of 7/8" dowel that is 5/16" long glued to the bottom rubber fitting of the filter, and then coat it with some kind of diesel proof coating.  I use "Seal All" a wonderful product that is available almost everywhere in a bright red and yellow tube and it smells just like old fashioned plastic airplane model glue.  The rest is evident from the picture.
Stan

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:11:37 AM by Stan »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Hey Stan,
I figgured out a much simiilar modification to use in my Dursley built engines but when I tried to install it in a 'roid I found that the Indians saw fit to shorten the housing by a fraction and my filter element wouldnt fit, Grrrrrrr.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Stan

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »
Using the filter in my setup, the filter cartridge is a half inch or so shorter than the case, hence the wooden dowel which is used to take up the slack.  That would make it work on a roid filter case, just adjust the length of the wooden dowel.
STan

mauicole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
I modified mine kind of like yours Stan. I used a rubber cork instead of a dowel tho. We'll see how long it lasts... When I change the filter next I going to try your mod 38ac. I kept the stock cast housing cuz it warms up with the engine - great for WVO.
1972 Lister SR1
DES 8/1 w/iron piston & 6/1 cam
1983 Ford F250 6.9L Diesel

Stan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
The stock casing also looks much more "authentic".  8)
Stan

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »
I modified mine to accept some stainless mesh filters from our companies helicopter. It was not a particularly difficult task. I simply machined a part that would seal on the filter elements "O" ring and the housing. It's held in place by a strong spring at the bottom.

Works great and the filter element is cleanable.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence