Author Topic: Listers on the Nile  (Read 10085 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Listers on the Nile
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »
Had a phone conversation with a friend in U.K. this morning. John had just returned from a business trip in Sudan.

After the conclusion of the business, his hosts took him on a river boat trip near the confluence of the Blue and White Nile Rivers. John reports that there is very little tourism in Sudan, and along the river he saw mostly small farming plots irrigated with river water.  The boat trip took place in early evening and the otherwise quiet was punctuated every so often by the thumping of old Lister 6/1s (or maybe Listeroids) as they pumped river water into the fields.
Since we were constrained on phone time and talked of many other things, I didn't ask about photos.......I will ask and will post of they are available.
I would bet there are many of these engines still in service at remote locations around the world.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Listers on the Nile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
There are a tremendous number of these in real service in Africa and Asia... I saw quite a few running irrigation pumps in rural India. I remember looking at one at a construction site running a large concrete mixer... under the absolute worst conditions, in a big pile of debris, dirt and cement dust, seeping oil and smoking under the load - just chugging away. We would not consider running our expensive equipment under such conditions, but the third world, that is another story altogether! I talked to some suppliers who said the bulk of their export business was to Africa and Asia.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
I figure there are large number of British era singles still running in Iran, dating from when it was a British colony.  Most likely Listeroids too as India has been trading goods for Iranian oil for years, even through the current Europe/US imposed economic embargo.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
Iran used to be licensed to produce them in country... They were once a major point of manufacture and distribution for the middle east. Too bad that things like Politics and Religion have to get things so tangled up between people!  :(

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »
A lot in Guyana, S. America too as power is unreliable. Loads pumping water for irrigation and drainage too. A lot of the country is below sea level and is very prone to flooding. Not sure how many Listers it will take to keep them afloat with global warming going on. I was in Delhi a few years back and the place was heaving with Lister and Petter generators. Also Enfield motor cycles..... but that is another story.
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:43 AM »
......"Global warming is a total crock of shite".....

Casey.... care to chime in here?
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
Oh my Gosh,

I thought you'd never ask. 

First:  When purchasing equipment I always check to make sure that it is Y2K compliant.  My Witte and Mini both meet this difficult standard.

B.:  I look to Africa for confirmation of my scientific conclusions on this topic.  Kilimanjaro!  When I was a kid this adventure was described as an ice and snow climb.  Now it's advertised as a trek. 

Third:  This may not surprise too many of you but the CO2 arguments are above my pay grade and education level.  But my SMA Sunnyboy inverter tells me I've save tons.  HELCO, Hawaii Electric Light Company, has confirmed this.  It sure was fun getting those tax credits.  The fact that the drop in equipment prices has dropped more than the cost savings the reduced electrical load billings in the last three years hurts but when I break even in about 18 months I'll be ranting "Rant On Progressives"!  If I were a business I could have capitalized the personal part of the program and broke even almost a year earlier.  As we know, subsidizing businesses is good government and subsidizing citizens is creating a dependent slacker society.  (Sorry, the keyboard just took over.)

I'm still shopping for a LEGAL grid tie solution for my Witte.  I'll bet bet this isn't a problem along the Nile.  Have you noticed the deplorable conditions that many of these Lister and Lister types suffer and yet continue to serve?  These machines are absolutely astonishing.  So is there going to be an import exemption for Iran to import Lister Type vegetable oil burners? ;D

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »
For the sake of civility, let's just call it "climate shift" and "sea level variation" and not get mired in the natural vs man-made debate unless there is a direct relevance to Listers. There's plenty of historical evidence that the planet heats and cools, and sea levels rise and fall over varying periods of time.

If, as some scientists say, the current rate of sea level rise of 1/8" per year continues, how many Listers is it going to take pumping flat out to keep cities like Miami, Venice or New Orleans dry?

Ignore the possible consequential effects of adding Lister exhaust to the "greenhouse" as this could only be a minute fraction of the total global pollutant output. Has anyone seen Shanghai lately? I'm not sure the locals have......

http://media.salon.com/2013/12/china-shanghai-pollution.jpeg2-1280x960.jpg

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »
I reckon we are pretty much done for any way. There are too many people and we use too many resources that can't be replaced. The cockroaches will laugh at our demise as they feast on the last few.  :(
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »
Pffft!
Seen Sydney when one of our BBQ's gets a bit out of hand?

Yes, we can always tell when the "West Island" is ablaze.....spectacular, stunningly red sunsets.

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:41:20 AM »
next time you're travelling to Nu Zilund, let me know and we'll meet up for a feed of fush & chups. ;D