Author Topic: 2.5 Kw 4 pole generator avalibility  (Read 35215 times)

trowel

• View Profile
Re: 2.5 Kw 4 pole generator avalibility
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
  Trying to understand my typing is like trying to look into the sun...painfull.... :laugh:
Sometime i forget, you guys don't know me and im still new to this fourm, with that being said i don't mean any harm at all and is not looking to caulse any trouble or force anything, no hit and run from me, looking for the long term, computers are the way to go these days.
  It has been a few years since i last looked into this, this is were i left off :

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CGkQrAIoADAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Flisterengine.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php%3FPHPSESSID%3D97f2b17fd3b395b480c4c198b92ea6b8%26topic%3D5072.0&ei=wlXrTtWlLOXn0QGQ4qWjCQ&usg=AFQjCNE6ABMdoHkSJQb1LGZR3AcG9wOtlw&sig2=8ePcVU_3IGbfPpsWSSDEzA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CGoQrAIoATAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Flisterengine.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php%3FPHPSESSID%3D11cc6fb60a8616e8221510614f837c94%26topic%3D3586.0&ei=wlXrTtWlLOXn0QGQ4qWjCQ&usg=AFQjCNHZtZr5Ge02-p2-kiQaLe76NOm3Tg&sig2=WXurgR0zU8DVE3qNsjbD0A

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
 The above post is only half of what i spent an hr. typing up, this new computer i currently have has the touch pad in the way of everything, a slight brush of my finger can and will wreak everything, everyone keep telling me that progress and new tec. is good but it has become a nuisance, can't solve one problem with 5 new problems,..
 Anyways, i hope im not insulting anyone by the links i posted above, it's were i left off.

Are theses high speed diesel engines (model PH1?) avalible and if not what is it's equivalent (lister or petter), what are the prices of these engine new and used, does anyone have one of the ''good'' ones for sale, how and were can one be bought from, are parts avalible and not over-priced or hard to order in, how is the quality and durability of these clones, can it be converted to burn veggie/wast oil/biodiesel, and most of all...is it worth the money, give it to me straight it takes a lot to make me  :'(
I would prefer a used engine due to my finatual limitation and can overhaul one so long as parts are avalible and not stupidly over-priced or hard to order in, but if a good NOS is avalible ??....

Dieselman, Amen to what you said, i enjoy overhauling/rebuilding old engines also, it is a labor of love, my first complete overhaul when i was a kid that got me started was a small simple 1949 air cooled 4 stroke Clinton gas engine model B-1102, it provided many years of survice and is now a retired heirloom, i also collect David Bradley walk behind garden tractors and it's attachments and find myself at engine shows to display and educate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xswNdbW13zg
Engines are not new to me but diesels are, have yet to overhaul/rebuild one.
Thank you and looking forwards to any and all comments,

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
  Deeiche, i did not miss your post, just wanted to get the engine question out of the way,
i have a 1/2 hp compacitor start AC motor off of a Ideal reel mower blade grinder and a 1 hp  sump pump motor that could be converted into a generator using compacitors in parallel, i think the sump pump motor is a induction motor, just found out that indution motors do not make good converted generators.
 have a 1950's Master Mechanic 2.5 Kw single bearing gen head that came off of a Briggs model 14FB, gen head is the 2-pole 3600 rpm type and parts have been long obsolete but saving it for parts if needed.
The current utility gen set i have is a worn out 1956 Onan AJ 1M 1A 2.5 Kw that needs to be retired, can be used for parts also.
Was thinking PM type generators but can not find one in the 1.5 to 2.5 Kw range with the exeption of wind generators.

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:50 PM »
  Deeiche, i did not miss your post, just wanted to get the engine question out of the way,
i have a 1/2 hp compacitor start AC motor off of a Ideal reel mower blade grinder and a 1 hp  sump pump motor that could be converted into a generator using compacitors in parallel, i think the sump pump motor is a induction motor, just found out that indution motors do not make good converted generators.
SNIP
Yep, that is why I asked what you wanted to power.  Induction motors turned into generators are aok for resistive loads, but when I read one of your later posts you mentioned wanting to run power tools.

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
I finally had time to sit down and fully read the up dated posts on utterpower.com

search ended, don't bother looking for something that can not be found.

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
  To add to my above post i am severely pissed that i can't just simply order what i need or want due to political B.S. over a popular engine ! i figured after wating a few years it would pan out and eventually the smaller high speed lister petter diesels would find it's way in but it has gotten worse since 2008, sooner or lator the EPA will come after my emission free engines.
Makes me feel like a 10 year old with a abusive alcoholic father,.....

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
1800 rpm, air-cooled, original Listers are in ample supply in the USA. These are old enough to be grandfathered - completely legal, and EPA will not be bothering you over any of them.

Of course no one can completely & accurately predict the future - and with a government run amuck, who knows what can happen? Best not to worry about that and take appropriate measures for the protection of ourselves and those around us!  ;)

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:00:34 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:02 AM »
Ok then,
LR1-3.3 hp
LT1/LV1-9 hp
AC1/AD1-5 hp
then it goes to the indian clones

trowel

• View Profile

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 03:24:50 AM »
To elaborate just a bit further... LD, SL, SR, ST, TS, TR are also Lister variants available in very small singles. You can cover from about 3hp to 10hp with a slight variance in speed ranges from model to model. Some of these are rated to run at less than 1,000 rpms as well, but mostly run at 1200 and up to 2500rpm with pretty good power curves at around 1800rpm. These models are all air-cooled so are not well-suited for most CHP systems but retain the Lister reliability and simplicity and are often used for small genset and battery charging applications.

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32:02 AM »
Trowel,

One other matter I just noticed... that link you provided needs to read something more like www.diesel-electric.us to get to the Lister stuff. That site is old and needs updating but it will give you a fair idea of what is available from Alaska and the US Midwest.

Thanks!

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:35:34 AM by dieselgman »

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 05:07:22 AM »
  Your welcome, next time i'll do a better job on the link, and i said Canada insted of Alaska, opps, typed and dropped the link quick without paying attention, looking around to see what's there, having to look thrugh hundreds of web pages to find the right ones, it would make a great field unit, simple single cylinder air cooled unit, the LR, SL and A series seems to be in the 1.5 to 2 Kw range, the T and S series are in the 3 to 5 Kw range it seems,..correct me if im wrong,..would the LR/SL spin a 3600 RPM 2 Kw gen head ok ?

I was eyeballing the water cooled single cylinder TR/ST for a at-home stationary power plant, looks good.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »
For AC power, a direct coupling is always preferable, especially in designing a mobile unit and using very small prime movers like these. You would not normally want to run LR or SL much above 2,000 rpm but with a belt-drive a 2-bearing 2-pole head spinning at 3600 could be easily coupled. The kW ratings are actually just a bit higher for T and S series singles up to about 7kW for TR1.

Please note that these are all available as air-cooled units and very few if any water-cooled versions can be found. Most of the water-cooled marine conversions are built around multi-cylinder models and they can generally be found in marine service. I do not believe I have seen water cooling used on any of this particular range of singles... you would have to go to one of the Petter designs for that specification.

dieselgman

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
  Thanks,.. did it again, did not expain my intentions clearly, i meant belt driving it so it can be run at the ideal 1800 RPM range.
Regarding direct drive i noted that there are two different types of fan shrouds, sheet metal for open flywheel and full cast for inclosed direct drive, the water cooled prime movers i was looking at must of been petter verients then.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
Yes, most likely Petters if they were single cylinder models and water cooled. We recommend using a 4-pole generator head if you have a choice in the matter... 1800 rpm is a better rotational speed to manage. The Lister sheet-metal fan housing is good for saving excess weight in the little engines but not suited for drive mountings of any sort... you must use the cast-iron housing for a close-coupled gen head.

dieselgman