Puppeteer

Author Topic: 2.5 Kw 4 pole generator avalibility  (Read 35213 times)

trowel

• View Profile
2.5 Kw 4 pole generator avalibility
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »
  When the slow small slow speed generator/inverter topic came up again i thought of Lister Engine Fourm and figured it's time to ask.
Is there any 2.5 KW 4 pole belt driven generators for 1800 rpm engines being sold in the USA, have been looking wind gen heads, has anyone made/built a small compact portable diesel powered inverter/generator yet ?  thinking of building a small slow speed unit someday if it is feasible and price wise.
 Any and all idears would be great and thanks,

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 2.5 Kw 4 pole generator avalibility
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »
Chinese ST heads come in that spec. Perhaps not all that common because the demand is in the slightly larger versions.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
 Please bare with my ignorance, im still learning, me and my uncle has been talking about this on and off for a while, the reason behind this is for a compact utility slow speed gen set that will burn a range of fuel from converted wast oil to boidiesel that can be mounted in a pick up truck's tool box for use out in the field, looked at Onans Micolite RV series and Hardy Diesels compact units for road tractors but as usual the prices are so high that i would prefer to spend that amount of money on a Lister 6/1 with a 5 Kw head.
Sorry about the rambling, just trying to show were i stand on this idear as of now.

Dieselman, thanks, i did not know they made ST gen heads that small, i will look.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »
The 2.5kW or 3.5kW ST head is fairly small, but the Lister is 780lbs. and bulky to boot! NOT portable and NOT suited to running around in the back of a pickup - unless that truck is just a dedicated generator platform. I have seen people set these up on trailers and that could easily be made viable for portable field service.

dieselgman

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:40:54 AM »
Oh, no, a Lister 6/1 is way too big as you said, i led you in the wrong direction, i was thinking smaller/compact more along the lines of a single cylinder air cooled Yanmar Diesel running at 1800 rpms belt driving a 4 pole gen head, do you think that would be a ok set up ? or would the gen head be too much and i should stick with a 2 pole spinning at 3600 rpms ?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:48:44 AM »
The smaller range of Lister air-cooled engines would be better suited to your portable utility use. You can get them in very small singles around 2.5kW and up around 15 to 25kW in the largest 3 cylinder. They are mostly priced quite high, but the Lister dependability and fuel economy is there. Think LT1, LD1, SL1, LR1, SR1, ST1 ranging from 3 to 6.5 horsepower at 1800 rpm. Simple equipment and about 30% or less of the weight of one of the older slow-speed models.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:53:36 AM by dieselgman »

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
Now that's way better then a Yanmar, were would one find a Lister 2.5kw on the east coast, im in Massachusett and is it a place that keeps these in stock ? im trying to keep the gen set in a budget of $ 600 to $ 1,000 or is that wishfull thinking ?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »
You might check around some of the salvage yards to come within your budget, otherwise you will need considerably more funds to order and ship one of the small Listers. We do not deal in any of the clones except for the old oversized slow-speed variety. Original Lister stuff tends to run at least double or triple the cost.

dieselgman

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:45:59 AM »
I was afraid of that which is why i mentioned Yanmar, there was a place in Maine that sold listeroids but dried up and i never checked back in, this is not the first time i have asked about the peteroid PAZ1 types, seems no one knows anything about these clones, much less interested in one around here.
 Now that you see the direction im heading in are there any gen heads that fit what im looking for, a 3 to 4 hp diesel engine ? possibly with a 120/240 plug option.

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
I see this thread is going noweres so i'll stop here, sooner or lator so long as im patient and watch full i will find what im looking, someweres, someday, the right gen head, the right engine will show up and i will have the money for it.
  Just in case someone stumbles across this thread and has such an engine, gen head, or is willing to sell one in the near future shoot me a PM,
Thank you,
Jesse

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
I am curious what you intend to power with the generator?  Lights, heaters, motors?  If it was just a resistive load you could consider using an induction motor as a generator.  Just a thought.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
Jesse,

The thread is about as vague as the information you have supplied. If you are ready to purchase and know your budget, then we can make something happen for you. That is after all,  my living and my professional expertise!

dieselgman

gary@dieselgen.com

trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
 Dieselman, im not trying to be malicious in any shape or fourm and your area of expertise and way of living is not under scrutiny by me or any one else, there was no mention of it in any of my postings, i have no doubts in your area of experties you know your stuff and it was what i was counting on, i stated my intentions and plans with the hopes of catching someones attention who was in the same situation as me, looking for a quality built used high speed Lister or Petter cone diesel engine that is avalible for purchasing on the east coast of the USA and parts avalibility for these types of engines, i have spent the past 5 years quietly looking and asking only to watch dealers such as yourself blocked by the federal gov. and the EPA and these options dry up and replaced with chines clones so im no longer looking, more or less im interested in options for the gen head itself and is not interested in the off brand china cone gen heads being offered but is willing to build one following plans by experts in this field of expertise and be able to purchase off the shelf parts if avalible in my area, thing are very limited regarding quality in this state and quality built equipment is at a astronomical price these days with no options of being able to purchase just the engine and gen head itself and fabricate the frame and needed conponets in-house and i would prefer to customize my gen set to fit my spicific spec. and needs, a very small compact single cylinder air cooled mini diesel gen set much like the examples i posted above in the 1.5 Kw range i can mount in the back of a small pick up truck, preferably into a existing truck mounted tool box for running power tools and charging batterys at non electrified job sites, farm fields, and deep in the woods of western and norther Masssachusetts for firewood and timber cutting and i want to have the option to convert if feasible a diesel engine to use other cleaner burning fuels with out having to use the weak ethanol laced gases, bio-diesel and converted veggie/wast oil fuel is being made no more the 6 miles from were i live but i do not own a single engine that can burn it.
 Im currently looking at military surplus 3 KW diesel gensets but at 750 lb and 3Kw of power it is too much for what im looking for and would be better off with the Onan MEP002a 5kw gen set, also looking for Onan single cylinder diesel engines but all are at if not over 6 hp, anything lower the 3Kw is gas powered 3600 rpm screamers with a very short working life spand only used for intermediate uses, i know quality when i see it and see that 2.5/3.5 hp diesel engines are being MFG'ed following the old time tested petter/lister design but know nothing about them or how and were to get one at a resonable used price, im not rich or able to throw around thousands of dollers all at once like some guys are able to and post a onging projet on the internet, it takes many mounths of saving hard earned money so a project such as this has to be carefully planed or i will loose a lot of money and time, with the economy in it's current state with no hard evidence of it ever improving any time soon this is what we have to deal with as a whole, as of now i am still looking, watching and saving,
Is this clear and to the point or is more needed ?
AGAIN, i will say, it is not a personal attack on anybody in any way, shape or form, im just asking for help from experts and others who was in my boots at one time or another and is willing to send me in the right direction or to the right people.
Thank you for reading this long winded post,
Jesse

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
Sounds to me like you have covered the ground pretty well... if you want some specifics I will be glad to oblige. And yes, I do have some trouble following your thought process thus the comment regarding "vague". That is alright, we are not all wired the same and there is ample room for every approach on God's green earth! No offense intended!

I think that if we were all counting our time energy and dollars invested in the old equipment we might all have some second thoughts... it is mostly a labor of love and we derive a lot of satisfaction out of the process - so it is well worth it.  :D

dieselgman

gary@dieselgen.com