Author Topic: Progress report on my Omega 10/1  (Read 9678 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Progress report on my Omega 10/1
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
Very interesting reading Sfene! Thanks for that link.

Of course they are talking about steam driven large machinery and almost all of the failures seem to be from overspeeds due to governor failures. The engineering formulae are of interest in determining what is likely to be a failure likelihood in a well-constructed flywheel. From what I could tell just skimming that material, there is a 300% to 350% rated rpm safety factor built into the designs.

Quinnf, thanks for that link!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Sfene

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
It's been a while since I read completely through it but one thing I do remember was that max rim speed was in the neighborhood of 60 miles per hour for a cast iron flywheel, good rule of thumb....

Sfene

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »
Yes, that is what I gathered as well - 60mph is the design target. That should give a large safety margin unless castings are faulty. I am guessing that it is x10 for the engineering calculations from what little I know about cast iron rotating mass.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »
I've added more pics in my album: http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6208  In here you will see the lead weights I fabricated and also pics of the air motor I added to my set up.

Also, I have added a video of me starting the lister with air start for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDl-MMbfl50&feature=channel_video_title

I didn't know that my air motor had a built in siren.  As you will see and hear in the video I managed to wake up a peaceful neighborhood.

I'm really happy with my set up.  It all worked fine and made starting much easier.  Most air starters I see use an air ram to engage the motor to the flywheel, but I thought I'd try something different.

Thanks, Mark

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 04:56:19 AM »
I am sure amazed at how well you have gotten your 10/1 to balance. I salute you sir ;) ;) :o

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?