Puppeteer

Author Topic: 12/1  (Read 5743 times)

shagal

• View Profile
12/1
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:59 PM »
hello every one
im looking for a gen set to power house as back up thinking 6/7 kw shoold be plenty .also like to fuel it on wvo any ideas on what would be the best engine / gen head for the job was thinking 12/1 cs engine but im very new to this so any help wpuld be greatly appriciated ,
im in ireland if any one knows of any suitable set around here  thanks every one

38ac

• View Profile
Re: 12/1
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:39:53 AM »
I dont have a 12/1 but have it's twin cylinder relative, 25/2. Baised upon my experiance with it  Id go with a 650 RPM 12/2 twin before a 1000 RPM 12/1 single. I'm just not a fan of the over 650 RPM CS variants. Others sem to get along fine with them.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

shagal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
hi 38ac
i never though of useing a larger engine at lower rpms  sounds to be the thing to do :)
what hp would it put out at 650 rpm ? and are they easy to get in ireland ?.
thnks for ur input
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:14:34 AM by shagal »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Hello, Being a Statesider I have not a clue how things are viewed in Ireland.  I am pretty sure that importation is legal there? I know of a fellow from Ireland who is dealing in the Chinese diesels if you have any interest that way.   As for HP the 12/2 is supposably a 12HP engine at 650 RPM. In theory it would produce the same KW on a generator setup as a 12/1 the differance being in the drive ratio to the head. The twins are not without thier problems, camshafts and drives can be troulesome but I would stake my power needs on a twin at 650 RPM over a 1000 RPM variant any day, it's just not a 1000 RPM design in my opinion. The Brittish stopped at 800 RPM I think for good reason. The original 1000 RPM engines were an entirely differant design, what we now know as JP engines.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
Keep a watch on eBay UK and they do come up from time to time if you are patient. I second the vote for slower speed and more displacement as being the best combination for safety and reliability.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

shagal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »
have u any contact details on the guy from ireland who is dealing in the chinese engines ?
or should i stick to the originnal ,have heard a few horror stories ovet hte last few days
about casting sand in the crank case and dodgy build quality also heard of one guy who got his new engine
to discover first that it was painted AFTER it went into the shipping crate then found sand etc
but having said that have heard of quit afew people that are very happy with them (chinese engines)
so i still dont know what is best although  big and slow seem to be the way to go rather then small nd fast