Puppeteer

Author Topic: EPA Stationary Diesel Rule  (Read 8279 times)

lgsracer

• View Profile
EPA Stationary Diesel Rule
« on: December 18, 2005, 07:52:49 PM »
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/t3/fact_sheets/stadieselengineprop_fs.html

PROPOSED EMISSION STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE FOR STATIONARY COMPRESSION IGNITION INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES

FACT SHEET

ACTION
HEALTH AND
   ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS
BACKGROUND
MORE INFORMATION
  and HOW TO COMMENT

ACTION
On June 29, 2005, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed a rule that would reduce emissions of air pollutants from stationary compression ignition (CI) internal combustion engines (stationary diesel engines). These engines are used at facilities such as power plants and chemical and manufacturing plants to generate electricity and power pumps and compressors. They are also used in emergencies to produce electricity and pump water for flood and fire control. The proposed rule is posted at http://www.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/t3pfpr.html.

The proposed standards, known as New Source Performance Standards (NSPS), would limit emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx), particulate matter (PM), sulfur dioxide (SO2), carbon monoxide (CO), and hydrocarbons (HC) from stationary diesel internal combustion engines to the same stringent levels required by EPA's nonroad diesel engine regulations.
New, modified and reconstructed stationary diesel engines would have to comply with the proposed rule. A new stationary diesel engine is one that is manufactured or ordered, after the date this proposal is published in the Federal Register and manufactured after April 2006. Stationary diesel engines that start modification or reconstruction after that date also are subject to the rule.

This proposed rule also contains fuel requirements that limit the amount of sulfur in the diesel fuel used to run these engines.

The rule would take effect in three, increasingly stringent stages:

The first is a transition period to control emissions from diesel engines built after this rule is proposed but before the 2007 model year. Owners or operators would comply with this regulation by purchasing an appropriate engine and by operating and maintaining the engine according to the manufacturers' instructions.
In most cases, the owner/operator would purchase a certified nonroad engine for stationary use and that would be sufficient to comply with the regulatory requirement.
In less likely cases, the owner/operator would purchase a non-certified engine and would have several options (using manufacturers emissions data or previous test results on a similar engine, or stack test data) to demonstrate compliance with the pre 2007 emission limits.
In all cases, the information which demonstrates new engine compliance and the appropriate maintenance records must be kept on site.

Beginning in model year 2007:
Engine manufacturers would be required to certify that all new, modified or reconstructed stationary diesel engines meet the stringent emissions levels for NOx, PM, CO, and HC that are required for the same size engine and model year for nonroad diesel engines in the categories known as Tiers 1 through 4, with a few exceptions.
Stationary emergency diesel engines would be required to be certified to meet emissions limits through Tier 3 and also Tier 4, however, Tier 4 requirements for them do not require add-on controls.

Beginning with 2011 model year engines, add-on controls would be required to achieve the emission limits for non-emergency engines.

By 2015, EPA estimates that 81,500 new stationary diesel engines would be subject to the rule.

EPA will accept comments on this proposed rule for 60 days following publication of the proposed rule in the Federal Register. HOW TO COMMENT

top of page

HEALTH and ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS
The proposed rule would provide improvements in protecting human health and the environment by reducing pollutant emissions. EPA estimates that the total pollutant reductions will be over 68,000 tons per year in 2015. The proposed rule would reduce NOx, PM, SO2, CO, and HC emissions gradually from 2005 to 2015, with overall reductions of 90 percent or more from baseline levels in some cases.

EPA estimates the total nationwide annual costs for the rule, as proposed, to be
57 million in the year 2015.

Pollutants such as NOx and SO2 may cause both temporary and long-term respiratory symptoms, such as shortness of breath, changes in airway responsiveness, and increased susceptibility to respiratory infection.

NOx and SO2 also can form fine particle pollution. Exposure to fine particle pollution is associated with significant adverse health effects including shortness of breath, bronchitis, asthma attacks, heart attacks, and premature death. Diesel PM is likely carcinogenic and also contribute to a number of non-cancer health effects. Particle pollution also contributes to haze which reduces visibility in cities and in our national parks and wilderness areas.

Both NOx and SO2 react with moisture in the atmosphere to form acid rain, which, when deposited, causes acidification of soil and surface waters.

NOx can react in the air to form ground-level ozone. Ozone can cause coughing, shortness of breath, and aggravate asthma and other chronic lung diseases such as emphysema and bronchitis. Ozone can lead to reduced lung function in both children and adults.

CO and HC are considered harmful to human health and the environment and are linked to various negative health conditions in humans.

top of page

BACKGROUND
The Clean Air Act (CAA) requires EPA to promulgate NSPS for stationary diesel engines. The standards must consider emission control technologies available and costs of control.

NSPS are a statutory requirement under section 111 of the CAA. The original NSPS for stationary diesel engines were proposed in 1979 but never finalized.

The schedule for completing this rule is part of a consent decree with Environmental Defense which requires the EPA Administrator complete a final rule by June 28, 2006.

top of page

FOR MORE INFORMATION
The proposed rule is posted at: http://www.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/t3pfpr.html.

Today's proposed rule and other background information are also available either electronically in EDOCKET, EPA's electronic public docket and comment system, or in hardcopy at EPA's Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center, Environmental Protection Agency, Room B102, 1301 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC (Docket ID No. OAR-2005-0029). The Public Reading Room is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The telephone number for the Public Reading Room is (202) 566-1744, and the telephone number for the Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center is (202) 566-1742.

HOW TO COMMENT. Comments should be identified by Docket ID No. OAR-2005-0029 and submitted by one of the following methods:
online through the Federal eRulemaking Portal ( http://www.regulations.gov );
by e-mail ( a-and-r-docket@epa.gov );
by fax to (202) 566-1741;
by mail to (Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center, Environmental Protection Agency, Mailcode: 6102T, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20460); or
by hand-delivery to (Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center, Environmental Protection Agency, Room B102, 1301 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC).
For further information about the proposed rule, contact Mr. Sims Roy at EPA's Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards at 919-541-5263.

EPA's Office of Air and Radiation (OAR) home page on the Internet contains a wide range of information on the air toxics program, as well as many other air pollution programs and issues. The OAR home page address is: http://www.epa.gov/oar.

kpgv

Re: EPA Stationary Diesel Rule
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:35:56 PM »
Hi Igsracer,
I read your post, and the links, against my better judgment, since any site with a ".gov" suffix makes my head hurt, and raises my blood pressure.
I am surprised there hasn't been more response traffic here.
Can someone who can read AND understand "legalese" shed some light on what you think the implications and effects of these rules will be for the "Listeroid" and other Diesel and "Alternate Fuel" home-gen and co-gen crew?

My questions at this point are:

1) Will the people that import these machines in the current technological trim be able to continue?
2) Will there now be a "registration" paper trail following these machines "home"?
3) Is this an attempt to basically "outlaw" these IF ".gov" decides to enforce these rules?

More questions to follow.... >:(

Paranoidly Yours,

Kevin

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 01:55:30 AM »
It is likely to be unlawful to import non compliant engines. However there are plenty of non compliant Chinese engines imported every day.

Another note, it could be possible that such an old design would be considered "antique" and therefore exempt. I have read that the current (pre 2007) law, and if I understand it correctly, antique engines are exempt.

Another thought, parts are probably going to still be available without worry.

India has recently had a serious crackdown on gross emmisions. This may affect the Listeroid.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

lgsracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 04:37:53 AM »
Onr thing to note this is not a law. It has not and will not be voted on by our elected officials. It is a proposed regulation. That means it hasn't even been standarized or approved yet. There is a link to go to if you want to put in your two cents. Also write your senators and congressmen and get them to put in their two cents.

HOW TO COMMENT. Comments should be identified by Docket ID No. OAR-2005-0029 and submitted by one of the following methods:
online through the Federal eRulemaking Portal ( http://www.regulations.gov );
by e-mail ( a-and-r-docket@epa.gov );
by fax to (202) 566-1741;
by mail to (Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center, Environmental Protection Agency, Mailcode: 6102T, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20460); or
by hand-delivery to (Air and Radiation Docket and Information Center, Environmental Protection Agency, Room B102, 1301 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC).
For further information about the proposed rule, contact Mr. Sims Roy at EPA's Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards at 919-541-5263.

But here is the part that worries me:

Beginning in model year 2007:
Engine manufacturers would be required to certify that all new, modified or reconstructed stationary diesel engines meet the stringent emissions levels for NOx, PM, CO, and HC that are required for the same size engine and model year for nonroad diesel engines in the categories known as Tiers 1 through 4, with a few exceptions.

Does this mean if you add to an exsisting engine or rebuild it? If so then even the true antiques must stay broken when they quit.

I don't really know what this proposal means but I am going to write my congressman and see if his staffers can find out and translate it to plain old english.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:15:23 AM »
I read it to mean that any engine sent back to the manufacturer for rebuild or upgrade must meet the new requirements, beacause the rule requires that the manufacturer meet the rule. It may require 'in frame' overhauls performed by the manufacturer also comply.
We (except maybe Hotater and Quinnf  ;)) would not consider ourselves to have 'manufactured' or'remanufactured' our engines.
Scott
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

kpgv

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:27:03 PM »
Hi All,

It sounds to me like the choices here are to already have one, or to get one quick, and then "fly under the radar" discreetly,
(I wonder what will eventually happen to the parts availability IF no more of these can be imported and sold?),
or to somehow try to get some kind of exemption to this proposal for a "category" of engines that we need to define, that fit our purpose.

Maybe propose something like an exemption for "less than XXX liters" and/or "less than XXX H.P." and/or "less than XXX RPM"...???

I think we also need to have more than "we like them" as justification.

There is an impressive group of thinkers, doers, and well equipped "inventive" types involved in this. I believe there is a value to all of this "self financed" R&D, especially with respect to "Alt. Fuels" and "Co-Gen", even though not everyone is doing that.

Is there any word from the folks we know who are importing these???
I wonder what their strategy is for this???

It there any interest out there in maybe coming up with a "position paper" or "form" letter that can be made available to those who want to help to influence this process in our favor, but aren't good enough at writing that kind of stuff themselves???

Kevin     

quinnf

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 08:28:35 PM »
Guys, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  Regs like this are usually phased in over a period of time.  There's also usually a footnote that exempt marginal users like hobbyists, antique buffs, remote sites, alternative fuels, etc.  If the worst should happen, there will be plenty of time to grab any parts you think you might need, and common wear parts like rings and bearings are standard sizes.  Any auto machine shop could find them in a catalog, or modify something to fit.  And I'm sure you'll always be able to order parts from overseas. 

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:57:37 PM »
As the they make more rules it makes more sense to escape to where you NEED a Listeroid!
  By the time they find my non-compliant engines they'll BE antiques.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

quinnf

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 03:14:44 AM »
Yeah, it's getting so a guy can't even shoot his cannon across the river any more without getting a visit from the constable!   ;)

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 03:49:35 AM »
...they can have my Listeroid when they pry it from its cold concrete mount…. ;)

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

quinnf

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 04:29:36 AM »
Hey, probably a stupid question, but is anyone using off-road diesel for their 'roid?  I expect Jack is because he had his fuel delivered.  What's it take to buy off-road fuel?  Doesn't make much sense to be paying all the highway taxes if you're just generating watts.

Quinn

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 04:40:48 AM »
Quinn---  I've run both, but have run nothing but red fuel since a delivery in October.  In this area you can buy off road fuel at many places.  The price at the pump is fuel ONLY...once inside sales tax is added just like if I was buying C store goods, BUT no road taxes.   It saves about forty cents a gallon.

It seems since diesel pick-ups have become the ONLY thing the ranchers drive the tax people have given up checking them for off-road fuel.  The local sale barn prohibits the tax people from checking fuel on their property and many businesses have the same policy.  I know of trucks several years old that have never had taxed fuel in them.....but there have been some fines paid, too.
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 05:39:03 PM »
My local (newly remodeled) gas station sells both on and off-road diesel.  Separate pumps, but it seems like any station could sell it if they wanted to.  Possibly mine does because it is owned by a part of a logging company.  Hard to say.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

GerryH

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 04:03:47 AM »
Hi Hotater
Your concerns about a corrupt government organization are justified. Hell, we have had one running Canada for years. But, has anyone ever measured the exhaust on a lister? It may comply or be very close. In my industry, (mining) the only engine cerified for underground use unless computer controlled--is a Deutz. Why? because it has a precombustion chamber like a Lister. This creates a cleaner burn, and with the addition of a scrubber(catalytic converter) the exhaust is ok to breath. We test emission daily with a gas tester for NOx and CO. My point is this engine is so de-rated in its power output it is bound to be very clean burning as is, and as Quinn says, they will exempt hobbyists (and people with enough guns)

Gerry

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 03:26:57 PM »
Gerry--

I worked around the mining industry for several years.  Most of the underground man haulers in the Utah coal mines were Nissan diesels with a lot of Deutz engines on the roof bolters and mine haulers. (I was in the steel supply end and didn't pay too much attention to engines, then.)

In 1965 in Korea our ammo and eight inch gun multi-fuel tow trucks ran 24/7.  I guar- RON-TEE they didn't meet emmisions 'standards'.   ;D  There was a pall hanging over every Camp in calm conditions.