Puppeteer

Author Topic: Yet another Newbie  (Read 8942 times)

Slojo

• View Profile
Yet another Newbie
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »
Greetings from lower NY.  My name is Joe and am just getting into this, so be patient and gentle with me.  I am married with 3 kids, 2 dogs a wife, full-time job + a side business, so I am busy, busy, busy.  I have worked on cars before, but not in a really long time now, but I have a brother who is an auto mechanic + a dad who is a retired aviation mechanic.  I hope to learn a bunch and of course acquire a few new toys (shhhhh, don't tell the Mrs.)

Joe-NY

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Yet another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
Welcome Joe,

Enjoy the wealth that is here!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
Welcome aboard Joe ;)
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
Welcome Joe, what are your plans?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Slojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
Welcome Joe, what are your plans?

My plans?  Hmm, acquire an engine, make some contacts that can assist where needed, build out a small genie system to maybe run a fridge, charge a battery bank, then increase my capacity with a larger unit once that can run a bit more and learn, learn learn.  Just hope I have the time for this new hobby.  I work full time, + own a small business so I will have to keep my actual tinkering on the low side for a while (hence my other post looking for a mechanic).  I also have 3 small childern, although fun, do not belong anywhere near these things when running.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Joe-NY

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I am also new here and could not figure out how to make a new thread.

My name is Denny and I live in southeast Missouri. Have seen slow speed diesel throughout the years but only in the last few years have I seriously thought about getting one. Currently I am looking at two and would like everyones opinion on what would be the best deal.

Deal #!

Max Power
1999 or 2000
12000 WATT diesel
24 hp
single phase
240 volt
50 amp

The price for this one is $2500.00

Deal #2

GTC 24/2 (24 HP) Listeroid Diesel engine, purchased in 2006. Engine ran only 1-2 minutes when received. Has been sitting in a warehouse ever since.

(1) Marathon Generator (Magnaplus) two bearing # 284PDL1708, 4 wire, with SE350 regulator. Wired for 120/240 VAC, marked for 28 KW.
(1)GTC Generator 15KW 110 Volt
(1) gib key puller
(1) adjustable idler pulley
(1) 15 KW panel

The price for all of this is $6000.00

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also I would everntually like to run my house on used veggie oil as some local factories have plenty of used soy bean oil. I also need to make sure it is legal in Missouri.

Denny Hawkins

Slojo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I am also new here and could not figure out how to make a new thread.

My name is Denny and I live in southeast Missouri. Have seen slow speed diesel throughout the years but only in the last few years have I seriously thought about getting one. Currently I am looking at two and would like everyones opinion on what would be the best deal.

Deal #!

Max Power
1999 or 2000
12000 WATT diesel
24 hp
single phase
240 volt
50 amp

The price for this one is $2500.00

Deal #2

GTC 24/2 (24 HP) Listeroid Diesel engine, purchased in 2006. Engine ran only 1-2 minutes when received. Has been sitting in a warehouse ever since.

(1) Marathon Generator (Magnaplus) two bearing # 284PDL1708, 4 wire, with SE350 regulator. Wired for 120/240 VAC, marked for 28 KW.
(1)GTC Generator 15KW 110 Volt
(1) gib key puller
(1) adjustable idler pulley
(1) 15 KW panel

The price for all of this is $6000.00

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also I would everntually like to run my house on used veggie oil as some local factories have plenty of used soy bean oil. I also need to make sure it is legal in Missouri.

Denny Hawkins

Welcome.  Got any pics or links you can post of these?  That Listeroid set-up seems nice, if not expensive.
The thing is with these clones, and even the orginal Listers, is who did the build or re-build, how did they do it, were they qualified, what parts did they use, etc?

Joe-NY

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
Actually both engines are brand new. Test started but never ran more than a few minutes. They are still factory new but have just sat in storage. 24/2 is from India and the other is made in china.

At work now but have pics.

Trying to figure out what is the best deal for the price.

Slojo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
'New from India' is a relative expression with these Listeroids as I have come to find out from reading, still waiting on my first direct experience.  Apparently the India versions, even brand spanking new are prone to having sand, presumable from the castings, inside the engine.

Joe-NY

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Yes I know I will have to tear the engines down and inspect them befor inning them. What I have been asking is if either one or both of these are a good deal. And if they are, which is the better of the two?

I only have so long to act on these.

Slojo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »
I am not a fan of the Chinese made stuff, but the $6k setup for Listeroid has me perplexed.  Is it a bunch of parts in a crate, not the motor, but all the other items.  I mean, what's it all mounted to if not, and if it is mounted, why would someone go through all that trouble of the complete set-up without first doing the tear-down of the engine?  Unless I am not following.

Joe-NY

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:05 PM »
The guy bought the listeroid as a package deal. It had the wrong size gen head when it came in. They compensated him the difference to upgrade onto the 28KW. The engine is mounted to an I-beam frame but nothing else is.  Everything else is in the boxes they came new in.

His wife is currently in the hospital and he has started to loose interest. Plus he says that since the changes with the EPA, he is worried about running it. He says he has around $7500.00 in it.

Slojo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 02:35:52 AM »
6g's is 6g's, which by mean a chunk of change.  My threshold is about $3k at the moment for a base unit for a 6/1, which is an apples to orange comparison to what you are looking at.  I have seen the 6/1's as high as $3k and as low as $2k recently for just the engine.  Not sure that 24/2's are roughly double that, I just don't know.  I do know that they do come up for sale from time to time, the 6/1's, have not seen too many 24/2 come up yet though.  You obviously would need to add the approximate value of the other items to the equation.  Also, does he have any paperwork, any documentation he can provide?

And really, comparable sales in the market place truly should be your benchmark.  I have a feeling that the prices of these little babies are only going to go up as the Feds continue to close any of the remaining loopholes.

The seller's explanation about being worried about the EPA thing seems totally bogus to me though.  For buying, I can see the concern, but running it???  Com'on!  Don’t get me wrong I would love to get my hands on a 24/2, but I cannot justify that kind of outlay just now.

Joe-NY

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:41 AM »
It is a big chunk of change. But I have priced the other 2 gen heads, the transfer panel, the reduction pulleys and other items and what he says he has spent sounds about right. He lives in a large city and said he was worried if he would get in trouble and fined if he was caught running it. I did tell him before I bought it I would lie to fly uP and see it.

As you said I have seen 6/1's but have not see any thing larger uP for sale in a very long time. When I initially called him I asked what he would sell the 24/2 for. He said 4 grand but he added I would still have to go out and buy everything else. Which was true.

Thanks for your input Joe.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 06:24:42 AM »
KOEL 8/1s are $2750 and available now as complete new engines. kits for 6/1 and 8/1 are $1990. Larger sizes are also in the works.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations