Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister TL3 A006 Workshop Manual  (Read 7468 times)

Davethebarge

• View Profile
Lister TL3 A006 Workshop Manual
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
Hi, I urgently need a manual for my TL3 engine.
Can anyone out there help me out withi this in any way.
Cheers, Dave.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister TL3 A006 Workshop Manual
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:36:02 AM »
We have them... gsj@gci.net

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »
If its of any help, this engine is nearly identical to the Lister Petter TS and TR range, the only differences being:

1), The TL series has a belt driven axial cooling fan, compared to the TR /TS engines which have a flywheel mounted fan.

2), A slightly different timing gear cover which allows for  different mounting arrangements for auxiliary drives to such items as hydraulic pumps etc.

3), Different SAE bell housing, when compared to the TR/TS series.

As a bare engine they are otherwise identical.

Hence if you are unable to  find a TL manual, the TR/TS manual will give you most if not all of the important information that you would normally expect to need.

FYI: The TL series was only made as a 2 or 3 cylinder version whilst the TS and TR series was available as 1, 2, or 3 cylinder versions.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Original TL pistons are quite different than anything else (4-ring and notched out skirts for counterweight clearance)... for replacements, TR will work fine though because bore and stroke are the same. If you can still find an original TL piston, it is a much more robust and solid piston.

There are a number of other small differences between them... lack of decompressors is one thing that comes to mind.

The TL is much closer to TX in external design, but you are right about the TR manual being the closest manual besides the actual one printed for the purpose. I recommend you get the actual TL manual since it is available.

dieselgman

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
Original TL pistons are quite different than anything else (4-ring and notched out skirts for counterweight clearance)... for replacements, TR will work fine though because bore and stroke are the same. If you can still find an original TL piston, it is a much more robust and solid piston.

Whilst you are quite correct, this observation is only the case for early TL 2/3 engines, because as time went on Lister Petter [in an effort to reduce costs standardised on the same basic piston design for the TL TR and TS, range. Granted there were some different combustion chamber designs depending upon the build number]

There are a number of other small differences between them... lack of decompressors is one thing that comes to mind.

Correct, I forgot about that one, but it was still available on TL engines as an optional extra ;)

The TL is much closer to TX in external design

It is if you forget that the TX is a crossflow engine, placing the inlet manifold and air filter housing are on the opposite side to a TL engine, and also that the rocker covers are of a unique design on the TX when compared to the TL.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
The points taken are intended to guide the OP (Dave) in his intent to get the proper manual for the TL. Your input is appreciated as we all tend to forget the small details from time to time and I do not intend to nitpick. I find that with the long run of Lister Petter designs that not all the changes and variations are documented - sometimes they are inconsistent with subsequent builds for different markets as well. My observations are accurate from the standpoint of someone who has torn down and rebuilt literally hundreds of them.

It seems to me that the TL was discontinued after only a relatively short production period.

These manuals are available without any problem.

dieselgman

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
^ We are all trying to assist the OP  :)

As the OP is very likely UK based, my original point was that he could buy a TR/TS manual such as this item on ebayUK  at present: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Operators-Hand-Book-Lister-Petter-TR-TS-TX-/320792220852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab0b4d4b4 and it would provide him with most of the information he needs. Then at a later date acquire the correct manual for his engine.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
Not a problem... Thanks!  :laugh: