Puppeteer

Author Topic: Need help to set speed on Petter BA1  (Read 5128 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Need help to set speed on Petter BA1
« on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:56 AM »
I recently acquired a small 3 kW 'ish power plant employing an 1800 RPM head directly driven by a Petter BA1 rated at 6.5 HP.  It is running about 5 Hz shy of 60 and the output voltage is on the low side also.  I need to bump up the speed but cannot figure out how to.  The governor and rack are all hidden inside the aluminum of the crankcase on this engine.  There is an external solenoid that slams the visible outer rack control mechanism from off to full on when the start button is engaged.  This mechanism does not move beyond these two extremes during operation.

The engine appears to be running very well, just needs a slightly faster governor setting.

If anyone has a service manual that they could share in e-mailable format such as a .pdf that would be very appreciated.  Please send it to rcavictim (at) gmail (dot) com.  Thank you in advance for any assitance.

regards,
rcavictim
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to set speed on Petter BA1
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
Have not got an engine or manual close to hand, but recall the fixed speed Petters in this series had an adjustment stud and locknut on the side of the crankcase, near the stop control.  Looks more like an oil pressure relief adjuster. Has a screw slot in the end.  Screw it in I think to raise the speed.  Hope yours is similar.   
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.