Puppeteer

Author Topic: 3/1 bore out bigger?  (Read 3154 times)

newlister

• View Profile
3/1 bore out bigger?
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
 Hi chaps, does anyone know if it is possible to bore this cylinder out bigger to fit a liner and piston. anyone done this.  Ta. Newlister.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 3/1 bore out bigger?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
What definition of "bigger" did you have in mind? That cylinder can certainly be bored and sleeved with a liner and returned to service that way.
The individual casting itself will limit how much of a bore change might be achieved. In some cases 1/4" might be reasonable to expect...but you must of course have a compatible piston and ringset in-hand, as well as considering availability of future service parts.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:08:27 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

newlister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
Thanks Deiselgman. Here i go again thinking without the brain. I thought it might be possible to bore out to make it up to 6/1 spec. As I have this cylinder, and it was originally on this engine. and was trying to do things in a cheaper way.  getting towards £275.00 for cylinder piston n rings. for the 6/1 then idler gears, all adding up into  GBP. 's --- sorry I'll have to start writing things down and check the measurements.      Another question does the compression, chamber cup come out  of the cylinder head, as you know mine is leaking a bit, when screwed fully in. I was looking at this 3/1 spare/head I have and it looks like it will come out.? There are two, one that comes out with the screw,and one that is way down inside,at the bottom of the threads. Thanks Newlister.

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Looking at Cylinder castings, I'd guess that the 3/1 is not cored to enable the larger 5/1 cylinder, there would be too much iron wasted, but I will double check the two castings later.

The compression change-over valve should all dismantle out of the head.

Peter