Puppeteer

Author Topic: Small slow speed diesels  (Read 16382 times)

Grael

• View Profile
Small slow speed diesels
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »
Heya guys,

Been a long time since I crept around and posted on these boards since I got my 6/1 'roid up and going years ago, but I have returned with a question.

Does anyone know of a smaller single cylinder slow speed diesel in the range of 2-3hp? I was thinking that it would be a good thing for our home up here since even a 6/1 is able to make more than we consume and so it isn't always loaded down. This is especially true in the summer when the vehicles aren't plugged in like in winter.

A small 3hp engine wold be enough to run in the summer time to charge batteries and run the house. It would also burn less fuel.

Preferably it would be a slow speed (sub 1000RPM) engine and have electric start.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Small slow speed diesels
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »

Does anyone know of a smaller single cylinder slow speed diesel in the range of 2-3hp? I was thinking that it would be a good thing for our home up here since even a 6/1 is able to make more than we consume and so it isn't always loaded down. This is especially true in the summer when the vehicles aren't plugged in like in winter.

A small 3hp engine wold be enough to run in the summer time to charge batteries and run the house. It would also burn less fuel.

Preferably it would be a slow speed (sub 1000RPM) engine and have electric start.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

With the exception of electric start, and if you could find one of course ;D
A Lister CS 3-1 fits your requirement, this engine is identical to the more usual Lister CS apart from the bore size being 3.75". There are also many parts interchangeable between this and the larger CS.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
for slow-speed like 650 rpm you might be stuck with the heavy iron antiques like the 3 1/2 - 1 or larger. Maybe the Lister Junior.

The newer air-cooled stuff is available down in that horsepower range and some tidy little packages. LD, SL, LR are examples. These are typically not rated to run under 1,000 rpm though. I believe that their practical loaded ratings start at about 1200 rpm. horsepower ranges are about 3hp to 4 1/2hp and are designed to be run up to much higher speeds if more power is required.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:31:36 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »
Another thing you might consider is slowing the 6/1 down. Not sure how slow they can run and still lubricate themselves? I have seen several CS and clone generator setups with two pulleys on the gen head. one for 650 RPM engine speed and one ofr a slower engine speed when there is less demand.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
Of course, the newer stuff does have electric start and a more modern pressurized oiling system as standard equipment. Maybe offer better fuel-pinching economy and less maintenance as well.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:32:19 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »
All valid points.I have considered slowing down the 6/1, but am concerned about oiling not being sufficient.

A modern air cooled high speed diesel would be nice with the electric start and such, but would be far too noisy for my tastes.

Now a 3/1 would fit the bill nicely. Does anyone know if there are copies made in India? Or is there only the original Listers to be had?
GTC 8-1

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
Now a 3/1 would fit the bill nicely. Does anyone know if there are copies made in India? Or is there only the original Listers to be had?

Thats the problem, the 3-1 or later 3.5-1 was only ever made in the UK, which is why it is imperative to buy one with a good cylinder and piston. As these are unique to the 3-1. Although Indian sourced piston rings are now available through Stationary engine parts.

FYI: The 3-1 is identical to to the large 6-1 in terms of size, the only noticeable external difference being a number 3 cast into the cylinder block.

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:42:21 AM »
What about a chinese horizontal diesel run at 900 rpm?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOhg1Q1rd6E[/youtube]

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:48:09 AM »
A Changfa engine would work nice too. What's the smallest they make em?
GTC 8-1

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »
A Changfa engine would work nice too. What's the smallest they make em?
lots of info in this section of the forum about Changfa, one of the one's I found after reading for about 5 minutes.

JD175 China diesel running at 500 - 1000 RPM

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
One of the Petter AV1 or PHW1 engines would probably run OK down to 800rpm, maybe slower, and they have gear oil pumps so no lubrication issues.

I've just been looking for information on the Petter AVB engine, but it seems that these were a very small production run for Laboratory work and not sold as a commercial engine.

Peter

tank9008

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
chana diesel engine not good quality

its my deler n distributers opinion

its good engine of  " Ashwamegh "  3hp 1000 rpm  slow speed engine

contect me at my mail address   mtank9008@yahoo.com

.............................................................    m.v.tank

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:37:49 AM »
I have one of those 3HP "Changfa" style diesels. It's junk. Don't bother with them.

I suspect you could easily reduce the RPM of your 6/1 to 500RPM without any risk. 400RPM may require some research into oiling issues. However, I'm sure they can be solved with some thought. Maybe a different style dipper?

That certainly would be easier than a complete new setup.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »
375 rpm should be possible.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sgXeDEZyXE

Oiler
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
I have one of those 3HP "Changfa" style diesels. It's junk. Don't bother with them.

I suspect you could easily reduce the RPM of your 6/1 to 500RPM without any risk. 400RPM may require some research into oiling issues. However, I'm sure they can be solved with some thought. Maybe a different style dipper?

That certainly would be easier than a complete new setup.

I had thought about making a temporary crankcase door from plexiglass just to play around with that. I suppose it makes a differance as to rollor or plain main bearings  but my guess would be that gtting some oil up on the cylinder walls and to the governor workiings is a bigger issue than the rod or main bearings, again just a guess.

I also agree with your statement about the mini Chinese diesels. I have an R165 and although a fun little toy I would want my livelyhood or comfort staked upon its daily operation.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel