Author Topic: WVO Cleaner  (Read 10674 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
WVO Cleaner
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »
I use these filters to help separate the good oil from the not so good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-4-5-Gallon-EZ-strainer-Filter-Biodiesel-WVO-4Set-/350360441758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51931c139e

They often get plugged up.  Any suggestions besides dish soap for cleaning them?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

bschwartz

• View Profile
Re: WVO Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
I don't have any really good suggestions on cleaning those.
That is what I started with, and they got to be a real pain for that reason.

I switched to these restaurant disposable fryer oil filters.
They cost about $ .10 each, and I use about 2-3 per 50 gallons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-10-Fryer-Filter-Cones-50-count-FC-10-3-New-/220854355334?pt=BI_Commercial_Fryers&hash=item336bf20586#ht_3772wt_700
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the suggestion.  They're sure a lot cheaper.  I wonder how many microns they go down to.

As you know these units I'm struggling with are very handy when they're clean and come in many filter micron settings.  DuddaDiesel had no real help other than to recommend a looser filter like 400 microns.  I'll contact your seller and see if they have a micron number for these fry oil filters.  What do you use for a holder?

I believe a successful user with no axe is a great source of information - Thanks,

Casey
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:32:57 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »
Casey,

I've never used that seller, it was just an example of what I use.
I pour my oil through that to take out the biggest pieces so as to not clog the centrifuge.
If there is any thicker goo in my oil (which is generally pretty clean to begin with) it will form a layer of slime inside
those cone filters, and really slow down how fast it goes through.
I don't think they have a recognized micron rating, as they are just designed for restaurants to filter their oil so it lasts longer.

I wouldn't run this as my only filter for my fuel, but I've been REALLY happy with them for about 3 years now as a primary filter for the centrifuge.

This is where I got the holder and filters from.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/10-fryer-oil-cone-filter-holder/682FCH101.html
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/10-paper-grease-filter-cone-50-box/121100.html
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 03:23:16 AM »
Have you tried burning them once they're used up as a filter?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
Although I have a fireplace in the house (cheap prefab built in unit), I don't usually like to haul drippy oil soaked stuff from the workshop in the house.  I just throw them in the trash. 
If I had a workshop stove, I'm sure they would be a great heat source.  The problem I have seen from experimenting with oil soaked stuff is that the thicker goo that they capture melts once put into a fire, and then drips all over the floor of your fireplace/stove/burn pot etc. and makes a mess.
-Brett

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
Hi Brett,

That melting is the problem I forecast as well.  I've got an old wood fired hot water heater that I plan to work into the biodiesel processor.  It bothers me that the waste fat and crap have to be hauled to the dump once they've been allowed to be solidified into saw dust.  Looks like a Pres-to-log waiting to happen.  Your suggested filters would work as a temporary or handling container but the change that occurs once they get above 150 degrees is a problem to put my little gray cells to work on.

I've been advised that Purple Magic might help clean the filters more effectively than dish soap.  Next weeks experiment.  What I have been taught is to NOT leave them setting with oil in them.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

cashflo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
For big clean ups I use Purple Power. 5 gallon buckets are $25 at autoparts stores. It is lye based so wear gloves

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
  Thanks. I was looking for something like that.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »
If you want more powerful stuff, try Zep purple cleaner. It is the same Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) but it outperforms the Auto Parts brands. Home Depot carries it in 5 gallon jugs for $36. That is what we use almost exclusively now for engine and parts cleaning.

This is one you really can't safely use without rubber gloves, eye protection, and lots of fresh air.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

cashflo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 02:41:28 AM »
EDIT~ It will tarnish aluminum with short time exposure and it will also eat aluminum over an extended period.

Another option albeit more expensive option is oil eating microbes. Works great on any organic oil, but not as good on pollied wvo. The microbes eat the oil and excrete h2o.

it is what Jay Leno uses exclusively in his massive car collection to clean the engines
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:19:59 AM by cashflo »

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
Well Purple Power was the stuff I was refereed to.  Purple Power - Purple Magic: Hey, that's pretty close.  I'm now really glad I couldn't find it.  I found Super Cleaner ($10 a gallon) instead at WalMart and the "Bio-degradable" notice was all in English as well.  It is in a purple bottle so I jumped on it.  Standards that can be lived up to.

After a couple of 15 minute soakings in the straight stuff the WVO dissolved enough to be pushed off the filter with a small paintbrush.  The skin on my hands felt "funny" after the first rinsing - brushing so I now use gloves with it.  It did a good enough job by my standards.  Remember Camp Aloha is a home for guidelines rather than rules.

Thanks for the heads up about Purple Power and lie.  Reading labels is NOT my strongest suit.

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

cashflo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
I think any of the "purple" cleaners are lye based. Not wearing gloves while using a lye based cleaner is benificial for only one thing. Letting you steal without leaving fingerprints. ;D

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »
Sodium hydroxide seems to have a cumulative effect as well, you might be able to take it ok once in awhile. The first exposure softens the old callous and then the second time it goes to work penetrating live skin. I have also noted differing brands are in different concentrations. Zep is the strongest we have found, and you cannot put your hands in it without a bit of pain.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations