Author Topic: Container shipping out of England  (Read 136567 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Container shipping out of England
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
11 years? Does he still want his stuff?

We are also going to use the steel stillages if we can find them. We have no intention of allowing this to go on much longer... I will take a trip over and collect things myself if I have to.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
We found a couple of places with them, the best places are those that handle plastic extrusions such as PVC window builders etc etc., they cut down to 3 or four small units.

We bought some and collected from Eastbourne, but you should be able to find them nearer to where the engines are.

Peter

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
My wife has always wanted to attend Wimbledon.  And I'm interested in the canal boats.  How about planning a group visit for late next June.  15 or 20 half drunk pissed off Yanks might just do the trick.  OK, I'm almost 70 but I can still fart really bad use words like "shazamm".

It's when I'm joking you know I'm at my most serious.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

slowspeed

• Spend less save more
  • 12/2 3phase 25kw gen head
    • View Profile
    • Deserthydrogen
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
June  Humm
LISTER 12/2
WITTIE 16/1
IHC 1.5 hp
Gasifier and HHO
Stirling engine
1983 Dodge Running WVO
1983 Benz Running WVO
Home made solar

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
My wife has always wanted to attend Wimbledon.  And I'm interested in the canal boats.  How about planning a group visit for late next June.  15 or 20 half drunk pissed off Yanks might just do the trick.  OK, I'm almost 70 but I can still fart really bad use words like "shazamm".

It's when I'm joking you know I'm at my most serious.

Casey
      Hi you 15 or 20 pissed off Yank`s , we`re shakin in our boots over here, even with our world class farting team......  I have obtained some steel stillages which will hold 1 CS single or 1 FR1,  these require a little modification to enable the engines to be bolted down.   The SOM sets and FR2 set will require something larger or even bolt some angle iron to the undersides to enable FLT handling, I will email Gary and enclose some photos of the stillages with a couple of my engines bolted on, for some reason I can`t seem to put them onto my gallery or attach photos to this post.     

Just to make it clear, your shipment is not being held up in any way by yours truly and my hospitality is stretching as far as storing some of your engines inside whilst some of my gear is under  tarpaulin.

Mark.

slowspeed

• Spend less save more
    • View Profile
    • Deserthydrogen
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
Mark
 Thank you for keeping the engines under cover.I too have a shop and find that having other peoples stuff in my way is not,  Ahhh well you know!!! the best use of my space.
So again Thanks.
As far as the farting goes .Its best if you put it in a bottle and feed it in to the Lister it will burn.Between the US team and the UK team we should be able to make some good shit.
This yank has no anger. Just a ton of  patients .And a ton of iron in your yard.
Could we put 2 stillages together to mount the fr2 and the SOM
Looks like the hold  up is getting our last 3 or 4 engines out of the Blackpool spot and dropped off at your place

Just added a link so you can see the 2 engines I have with  Keith B.  by Blackpool  
http://s196.beta.photobucket.com/user/abs-1/media/lister61MarkLarichie550.jpg.html?sort=6&o=20
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:38:55 PM by slowspeed »
LISTER 12/2
WITTIE 16/1
IHC 1.5 hp
Gasifier and HHO
Stirling engine
1983 Dodge Running WVO
1983 Benz Running WVO
Home made solar

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
Slowspeed,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  not sure on widths etc but if they fit you would need 2 of these stillages per SOM or FR genset,  I think your FR and SOM would be fine with 2 pieces of 3" X  3" angle bolted shortways through the holding down boltholes,  this would enable forks to get underneath,    I have enough wit (only just) to enable me to position things in a container in a way that would avoid transit damage so don`t worry about them not being enclosed by a stillage.      One thing to be considered is that some of the engines/SOMs have wooden (possibly not EPA compliant)  trolleys/skids, are these to be removed prior to shipment ?

Mark.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
Thanks Mark,

We seem to be getting a little closer to resolution on some of this stuff... I will post those images later on when I get some time.

I will ask customs about the wooden trolley frames and whether those pose an import problem for us or not. That is a good point and we appreciate your eyes on the ball, so to speak!

dieselgman

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:01 PM »
you might ask customs if they are ok with using old tires as spacers in the shipment
old tires are easy and cheap to find, and they fill in spaces that would otherwise allow stuff to shift
around in transit.

i threw a bunch of old tires between crates and machines in a container i shipped from washington to kansas, they did a great job of padding and kept things from getting beated up while bouncing around.

just a thought?

i don't think there are any bug issues with tires, like there would be with wood?

fwiw
bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2012, 01:48:18 AM »
i don't think there are any bug issues with tires, like there would be with wood?

fwiw
bob g

I presume these will be in a container and not open on deck? Asian tiger mosquitoes (which are thoroughly evil little buggers) came over here stowing away in used tires. Not sure anything quite so nasty would come from the UK, but one never knows... ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2012, 07:16:34 AM »
Here are the stillages that we bought, we had the bottom cross-bars removed and re-welded in place to match the engine mounting hole spacings:

The 16/2 is in a stillage, I don't have a picture of that one.

You'll get an idea of what space is available by the different engines in them.

Peter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
Stillages at Mark Wilkinson's

dieselgman

slowspeed

• Spend less save more
    • View Profile
    • Deserthydrogen
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
Some one please take me away from my putter
cant stop looking at all the engines that Mark, and Peter have sitting about
LISTER 12/2
WITTIE 16/1
IHC 1.5 hp
Gasifier and HHO
Stirling engine
1983 Dodge Running WVO
1983 Benz Running WVO
Home made solar

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »
 Just some old Dursley junk laying about,   the pallet on which the two CS engines are on is what we call a euro pallet and it meaures 48" X 32,"  a complete SOM set fits on one easily. The stillages are ex Kubota engine cradles with some parts removed then a couple of lenghths of flat iron drilled and welded on,  they make a very stable platform  and give some measure of protection for the flywheels and other bits whilst allowing close packing at floor level.

Mark.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
^ Thats quite ironic using ex-Kubota engine stillages for a lister CS engine. With minimal modification those stillages look almost as if they were intended for that use.