Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6/1 startomatic. governor play  (Read 4138 times)

newlister

• View Profile
6/1 startomatic. governor play
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »
how much play should there be---? i can move the weights about 3/16 th inch ? guessin. well it seems like it. and seems way too much play. i took the heavy startomatic flywheels off and could hardly move them. wow.--- of cause the crank spun round to the bottom. the fuel rod is siezed in the housing, the one that runs on the cam.  had a tight spot when the crank pointed a bout one o clock from fuel pump end. enough to hold the crank there.  will check in the light. tomorrow before removing timing. have added a few pictures.

newlister

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 startomatic. governor play
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
hi newlister i would have thought you might get just a few words. about this. lol.  cheers Newlister.  Derbyshire England.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »
Newlister (Paul),   talking to yourself  about governors is the first sign of madness, answering yourself is no 2 ;D.    What play do you mean? The speed control spring connected to the bellcrank should take up the freeplay when fully assembled.  When you say fuel rod do you mean the tappet that actuates the fuel pump plunger?
A real Chesterfield lad can carry 2 SOM wheels up Barrow Hill.

Mark.

newlister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:46:49 PM »
Hi Mark,  you think i 'am mad. lol just spent two hrs reading some posts.  engines to America. in a container. jeez. did i see an engine with two flywheels on each end, one spoked and one startomatic. will my engine run ok with this .? holding two cables, on in each hand is a good way to test electric. the old jump leads got my heart going again, when i was in the Manchester royal. ! i will look to see if i have put a picture in my albums on here.  I know i have put one on the Lister engines on f.bk.  The weights have two arms that go thru the cam wheel, and these go into one side of a double grooved collar,?  where the arms fit in the Grove there is play as much as an electrical screwdrivers end bit sideways ---!lol the weights move before they touch the end s of the collar. -- Them Gib keys were real hard to get out. for my first attempt. --- have the basic block all stripped out now. but its still in the back of the van. £50.00 to regrind the big end plus shells.---a long way to go.---iam  going  put the starto wheels onto my other engine. but might need to put this on the starto base. more work.  i reckon Ive got the fastest  6/1 in chesterfield. well the only one to get a speeding ticket. Thanks for your help. I think you tinker with Lister engines more than you let on.!---- a measurement if possible would be better, like  in thou's for this play. I've not seen anything in the manuals. ?  many thanks.  mark. --- paul.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
Well  Paul, I ran  a CD with both flywheels on one side, housed in a container, for over 1500 hours so not as nuts as you may think...                                               What other way is there to test voltage?
I don`t think the freeplay causes any real problem  because the speeder spring and the force acting upon the weights will always hold the arms against the thrust side of the collar with the engine running, or am I missing something here ?
Sounds like you need one of those speed awareness courses.

Mark.

newlister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
a governor groove and a spring around my neck. -- It looks like i will be getting one as well Mark. Thanks. I am feeling so remorseful. the amount of big vans that passed me, i wonder if they know ? ---- the bigger the gap the bigger the tap. ? I wonder what the clearance is from new. I was hoping to make it a quite engine so to speak. --- well it will come to me when i get there. cheers.