Puppeteer

Author Topic: Any UPS/Inverter Experts Out There??  (Read 24404 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any UPS/Inverter Experts Out There??
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 07:35:12 AM »
one volcano eruption back in the 1800's (the name of which escapes me just now) released more greenhouse gasses than all of mankind since the dawn of the industrial
revolution to date.

while we may not help matters much, the good old earth has a way of laundering itself quite well.

the problem with science is junk science, of which there seems to be zillions of volumes, usually widely distributed and rarely investigated, documented or proven.

then there is the old adage,, "follow the money", junk science makes millions for alot of folks.

GF and FD are spot on,

damn this is no fun at all when we all agree

lets get back to paper mache' subframes and rubber band mounts!
(sorry i couldn't help myself, what am i saying? no i'm not)  :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 11:55:15 AM »
When the Romans civilized Britain, they set up vineyards.... obvious warmer than today.  The great Black Plague was the result of a mold on rye, because of warmer than normal weather...

All of this happened without cars, without trucks, planes, or ships of steel, and without George Bush :)

All we know about weather is that it changes daily, yearly, by the decade and every century... sometimes up sometimes cool.

The record shows that.  we are in a warm cycle, lets all just relax and enjoy the ride
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 02:13:20 PM »
one volcano eruption back in the 1800's (the name of which escapes me just now) released more greenhouse gasses than all of mankind since the dawn of the industrial
revolution to date.
That would be Krakatau, my great grandfather said the year following was the only year he seen snow every month of the year, crops didn't do all that well.
http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/wonders/Natural/krakatoa.html

Note that Anak Krakatau (Son of Krakatau) is currently rebuilding. :)
http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/current_volcs/krakatau/krakatau.html

while we may not help matters much, the good old earth has a way of laundering itself quite well.

bob g

Now and then I tell someone that if every last human on the planet were instantly removed and then after say 10million years a small group returned at the same level of tech we are at currently they would have a time showing that we were ever even here.
They may well have to deal with our replacements.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 02:50:56 PM »
Has the notion struck anyone besides me that the whole global warming brouhaha is actually a pretext for the anti-Capitalist lobby to achieve their ends in a way that they otherwise couldn't?

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »
yup "follow the money"

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »
nah, tony bliar has just been talking to putin about energy....

we live in a world where to everyone below 30 something everything is some sealed magical box with mysterious internals that work on some sort of magic.

short term capitalism and "externalisation" (look it up in the context of corporations) has brought us to a place where 30 years old bleeding things dry instead of making necessary long term investments in infrastructure in the name of profits and dividends for shareholders has put us between a rock and a hard place.

we could in theory catch up, but nobody has the will of courage to take the first step on that road.

Softening us up with tales of man made climate and ecological disaster (note, wherever you live the problem is always the fault of someone else somewhere else) is just a ploy so when the brown and blackouts hit and other parts of the infrastructure collapse world + dog will have an excuse as to why "we are not to blame" tm

I see that the resident chimp in the whitehouse is no better than bliar, not content with making a royal fuck up of iraq he now declares the god given right of the USA to act in the same manner in space.

This is of course much better than taking a look at new orleans, after all, that was down to climate change, and who wants to argue with god....
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »
 As for our cranky friend G.F. I have to pretty much agree. Temperature like everything else wonders more or less in cycles over the short and long term.
  Most of what hear as a crisis is somebody with something to gain (power or money) from this "crisis" or trying to prevent it.
   Hydrogen is nasty stuff. We have problems with it forming hydride blisters if it finds a stress point. E.g. if hot pressure tube makes physical contact with a "cold" calandria tube .
     Tritium which is just a heavier form of hydrogen and chemically behaves pretty much like it. H3 is stored as a hydride. Otherwise the atoms as so small they migrate through any other material & cause embrittle in the process.
  The primary application hydrogen has in the energy industry is reformulating petrochemicals. With an abundance of cheap hydrogen; heavy crude, oil sands, coal etc can be easily converted into cleaner burning alcohol, gasoline, kerosene or light fuel oil.
    As for spacemen etc, well here's a little secret about the UFOs over nuclear power plants. In those plants there on occasion idle hands and clever inventive minds. Along with flashlights, duct tape, massive clear garbage bags in 55+ gallon barrel size and hydrogen or helium, your choice.
  Fill one bag with lighter than air gas. Tape closed securely. Tape on a Duracell energized flashlight. Release outside with a smile on a dark night.
  This went on for a while until senior management became tired of all the "UFOs over the nuclear plant" phone calls from the locals and started asking us questions. 
  Best UPS units have been merged a time or two and are known as FERRUPS. The windows operating program's  dos style "hyper terminal"will communicate bi-directionally  through a 9600 baud serial port 25 pin interface. Alarm and trigger set points can be altered at will and parameters monitored.
  The last bit of ferrups software we tried took over the laptops ability to use hyper terminal and now provides a graphic display which impresses supervisors to no end. The parameters can still be set and levels read during use or testing with some hunting through the menus.   
  We had one unit that would handle resistive and 60hz motor loads just fine. However when switching computer powersupplies were the primary load. The transformer  core would start to buzz and growl. At about 70-80% load the ups would trip off line.
   The ferrups engineer which was sent from the factory to troubleshoot the faulty ups was told personally by yours truly both a year prior and later inperson that the core was faulty. This caused great dishonor as this engineer had personally designed and speced this ups model's core to hospital grade standards. While other identical units worked fine I suggested perhaps a manufacturing defect had occurred. His expression was now one of somebody who had their Mother's virtue questioned.  He swapped  every component except the core. Still didn't work. The ups is still sitting in the corner of the shop.                               

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 05:09:54 PM »
   As to New Orleans,  I would not be real happy to live in an area that is below sea level, in hurricane country, behind levees built and inspected by the US Corps of Engineers.  When we bought here in Houston we started with an elevation map and worked from that.  We are only three feet below the highest point in Harris county.
    On the subject of inverters, I have an old Sola 2.5K true sine wave unit about 30 years old, so old that Sola can no longer provide any info on it, I have changed two fans and am on the fourth set of batteries. Other than that it has given me no trouble whatever, anything I plug in works without protest, it may be less than the best at efficiency, with a ferroresonant xfmr as its base, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  The newer units I've had come and go, but this one just works and works...

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
Compare the 2005 hurricane and New Orleans with the  1900 hurricane that hit Galveston.
http://www.1900storm.com/index.lasso

Tell me that technologically we have any more control now then we did back then.  Politically we defiantly more fucked up.

I am sure there was corruption in the Galveston rebuild, but they did not let it get in the way of getting things done.

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2006, 02:48:00 AM »
The real victims of Katrina are the citizens of Texas and other states that took in significant numbers of the citizens of New Orleans and LA. These people won't go home, sooo much easier to stay here and suck at the gov teat. Not to mention they should be the ones rebuilding their own damn city! Perhaps if they would go home and take care of their own business, there would not be such opportunity for graft and corruption.