Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 5290 times)

mace

• View Profile
What is it?
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
Hi Guys
After buying various Chinese generators and having to always get them repaired, I decided to buy myself a machine that should be more reliable and well known if it goes wrong.
The trouble is I’m not sure if this machine is Lister or Petter or the model, its rated at 10kva at 1500rpm.
I’m sure someone will know.
Cheers

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Looks like a Lister ST. There should be a serial plate on the air-cowling to identify further. Otherwise, closer and more detailed pictures will help identify.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
Thanks dieselgman, the only serial plate is on the alternator, there was no other markings on the engine. The only pictures I have at the moment are on the photogallery. I'm in the UK at the moment and the genset is in Spain, so further details I will have to get later.
Thanks

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
Looks like a Lister ST. There should be a serial plate on the air-cowling to identify further. Otherwise, closer and more detailed pictures will help identify.

dieselgman

I believe the data plate is more likely to be found on the cover plate for the injector pumps, failing that the serial number which also contains the engine type will be found on the periphery of the flywheel.

At 10KVA it will either be a ST or SR, an easy way to determine which it is, will be to look at the cylinder head rocker cover, on the SR none of the four holding down studs are visible, on the ST two of the four studs are visible.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:43:18 AM »
Valve cover style appears to be ST, and you are absolutely right about the original data-plate location being on the fuel pump cover. I should be more careful about dashing off these responses.

In my experience, more often than not, the serial is NOT stamped in the flywheels. There may have been some date ranges where this was done consistently, and certainly many that were not.

That IS very good and concise instruction about identifying which S series - just from the valve cover design and exposed or hidden studs.

Thanks for your input!!!

dieselgman

mace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »
Thanks guy's, some great advice, i'll check that as soon as I can.
Cheers

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »
That S series Lister should be a far cry better than most Chinese knock-offs. Lister built a worldwide reputation for reliability with hundreds of thousands of these air-cooled engines. We have serviced hundreds of them in the Alaska bush and elsewhere. Parts availability is very good, and thanks to the modular design, they will remain serviceable well beyond our lifetimes.

dieselgman

dannyr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
Valve cover style appears to be ST, and you are absolutely right about the original data-plate location being on the fuel pump cover. I should be more careful about dashing off these responses.

In my experience, more often than not, the serial is NOT stamped in the flywheels. There may have been some date ranges where this was done consistently, and certainly many that were not.

That IS very good and concise instruction about identifying which S series - just from the valve cover design and exposed or hidden studs.

Thanks for your input!!!

dieselgman

i am shure you are right, but pic is too small to see it better. ST for shure or some good unknown copy