Author Topic: Help!  (Read 25003 times)

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
OK gurus, I jerked the wheels again and tore off all my weights, last time I used a mandrel with two ball bearings with the seals torn off and all the grease washed out of them, this time I used the same mandrel but used 38ac's method with the angle iron rails between two saw horses, the mandrel has a key way cut in it and a machined flat spot on the opposite side of the key way, the key way is perfectly perpendicular to the flat spot so I can set a level on it, it turns out the balance was quite a bit different from the first method.
I stuck em back on and this is what I got now what do you think?
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/fabricator01/?action=view&current=MOV01365.mp4
BioDiesel Brewer

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 09:33:31 PM »
On a smooth level concrete floor that looks pretty good. I don't see any pounding at all and the movement appears random except for a slight forward motion.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »
Yep, for the most part it is random, I can't really a pattern to try to counteract, but now it might be time to put it on the base and use Ronmars method from here.
BioDiesel Brewer

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
Looks really good to me!  I bet you will be happy when you bolt it down to it's base.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 02:12:22 AM »
I'm hoping so, I'm thinking I might set the base on a couple layers of pink styrofoam board, I think it's rigid enough to not compress but it should help with vibration isolation.
BioDiesel Brewer

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2011, 02:29:55 AM »
Hey man sorry Ive been away from the puter for a couple days. Glad to hear my method worked out for you.

Here is a video of our 6/1 metro. I dont know what ya'll think but I think this is very reasonable balance everything considered? If I was to roll it of the concrete and out on dirt it sits almost motionless.

[youtube]p2YwtlfAVfc[/youtube]
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
Looks pretty motionless right where it is, I intend to run a heavy duty delco 24 volt alternator which will tie into my wind turbine battery bank, this thing is gonna get a work out, I intend to pretty much run it 24/7, it'll also be tied into my hydronic heat system, so we shall see how this version of roid holds up.
BioDiesel Brewer

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
            Two choices when mounting a big single in a permanent setup.
          (1) Build a very rigid base for engine and alt, (Lister original was a slab of cast iron) and float this assembly on resilient mounts of your choice, leaving all accessories
 remote from the engine set and connected flexibly, coolant hoses, fuel lines and filters, power connections and doghouse with instruments, air filtration, any starter leads etc.
 Vibration will rapidly destroy them otherwise. (Governor links will still be susceptible).
          (2) Do it the simple Lister way, bolt and grout your rigid base down to the recommended concrete mass and simply make rigid connections to all accessory units and know they will stay put.  If you are living close enough to it to utilise hydronic heat systems you will need to accustom yourselves to its comforting thud. You only miss it when it stops!  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:53 AM »
Well here it is on it's new home base the base is nearly 700 lbs, it's setting on a couple pieces of rigid pink foam, it still wanted to travel very slightly counter clockwise so I just put a small angle iron vise gripped to the base and that put an end to that, I think I got it under control now.
[/URL]
The movie is in the next post
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:13:25 AM by fabricator »
BioDiesel Brewer

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »
BioDiesel Brewer

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Well it's getting closer, got my wire pulled down to the battery bank, got the alternator mounted on the base and belted to the roid. Here is a video of the roid in it's permanent home, just down the wall from the bio diesel refinery which has a 350 gallon batch going today.
BioDiesel Brewer