Author Topic: Help!  (Read 24917 times)

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:28:55 AM »
I bought an 8/1 from DES, stripped her down and got everything cleaned out, I installed an actual 21st century fuel filter and an oil filter, got her all put together, got the tappets set to their lowest point and set the valve clearance at .015
My next step was to fill with diesel and prime the pump, by gravity I got fuel to the banjo fitting on the pump, crank,crank,crank,crank, no fuel from the pump. I removed the pump and lengthened the pump cam follower longer, put it back together and now I got fuel at the top of the pump, and crank till I got fuel at the injector fitting.
Next step is to try to start it, crank her up release the compression release and get a poof of white smoke, I tried it several more times and get the same results, a pretty big chuff and white smoke.
What am I doing wrong?
BioDiesel Brewer

Lister Rob

• View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:45:29 AM »

Sounds like the timeing is off, worth a look at your timeing gears to see if the marks are in the right place. Lister Rob.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:02:31 AM »
When I was cleaning it I looked for marks on the gears and didn't see anything. One problem I did have was with the exhaust side push rod it was too long, with the tappet at it's lowest point there was no slack, the cup at the top of the push rod was in contact with the rocker arm, so I had to take 1/16 off the end to get room to get the .015 adjustment.
BioDiesel Brewer

fuelfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »
Are you feeding that thing some home brew? Just had to ask. ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:34:34 AM by fuelfarmer »

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:36:41 AM »
Hey FF! Fancy meetin you here, yep I am.  ;)
BioDiesel Brewer

fuelfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »
Small world. I have a big ol' crate showing up Monday. Would like to know what you find out.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
fabricator,

There is good information posted here for setting up your spill timing, I can repeat it if you need it.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
I suspect you might have your injection timing set incorrectly. You do not just adjust the cam follower rod to make fuel come out of the pump. That actually adjusts the timing. Here is the page out of a genuine Lister manual on how to adjust the injection pump timing.

Also is another page which shows the correct tappet settings and an 8/1 should be set at 8 thou inlet and exhaust. However I do not think both set at 15 thou will stop it running especially when you see how large the tappet settings for the 6/1 engine.

Mick

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
You guys were right it was injection timing, I had a hell of a time setting the spill timing because the little thingy in the pump kept floating up and fuel would just pour out, but I got it pretty close, I think it's still a little on the retarded side because it slobbers some, it's also a traveler, it wants to travel pretty much in a straight line in the direction of flywheel rotation, here is a video of it running, it's strapped down to the pallet jack ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/DS111259?ob=5
BioDiesel Brewer

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
What is that squealing noise in the video?
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
I don't know, it is an on and off thing and it comes from the side with all the gears inside.
BioDiesel Brewer

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
I would carefully check that side cover and its internal parts for interference or dry bushing etc.. to eliminate that noise and possible damage. Hard to tell from the computer speakers but sounds like a dry bushing or metal parts contacting one another. Possibly a very destructive thing.

You have not run that engine long enough to determine a "slobbering" condition and its cause. These units must be properly connected to a cooling system, run with significant loading and brought to full operating temps to enable full ring seal and break-in for all working parts. Perhaps can take 25 to 75 hours of run-time.

Fine adjustment of the timing will also be necessary. It is always wise to check performance of the fuel injection parts. you can connect the injector outside of the head and rotate engine at cranking speeds to view nozzle performance and see any anomalies there if you don't have an injector tester at your disposal.

dieselgman

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
I don't know why there would be a dry bushing, the engine is filled with oil, all the lines are going to the right places, but I'll certainly check things out, right now I've got shell rotella 15w40 in it, should I change that to a straight 30 weight oil?
BioDiesel Brewer

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »
Something must be awry to be making that kind of strange noise... find it before it escalates into something worse. The 15-40 is fine to get things rinsed out and lubricated but we generally go with a 30 wt. non-detergent to assist in initial ring-wear for break-in (for the first 100 hours or so).

dieselgman

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 03:01:27 AM »
I don't know why there would be a dry bushing, the engine is filled with oil, all the lines are going to the right places, but I'll certainly check things out, right now I've got shell rotella 15w40 in it, should I change that to a straight 30 weight oil?

Did you drop some oil in the left side cam bushing lubricating port?  Looking at the tappet side of the engine look just to the left of the exhaust tappet and behind the decompressor. Theee is a hex headed plug there andthe purpose of it is to lurbricate the left side cam bushing when the engine has set a while. Some of the plugs are stamped "oil" some are not
Collector and horder of about anything diesel