Poll

re lister 6-1 seals

replace old seal
1 (100%)
replace with newer type
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: re 6-1 seals  (Read 3255 times)

Lister Rob

• View Profile
re 6-1 seals
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:51 AM »

Hi guys. I was wondering  if anybody used a different seal on the outer crank instead of the felts ones on my 6-1 lister that are leaking. Any info will be great. Thanks Rob.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: re 6-1 seals
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »
The Lister design calls for felt seal rings on those mains and they work fine until your engine loses its crankcase vacuum due to age or malfunction. I am sure you could replace the old ones with lip-type seals but in the long run you would likely have problems with them wearing a groove on the crankshaft at their contact points.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
The Lister felt seals do not run on the crankshaft.  They run on a thin sleeve that slides over the crankshaft.  This seal arrangement works very well and lasts a long time.  If yours are leaking, as others have advised, replace the felt rings and check the breather reed for proper operation.  It is possible that your main bearings are well worn and even possibly the crankshaft.  Simply replace the worn parts and all done.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:53 AM »
I replaced an old felt seal with a new Indian one which promptly fell apart and redistributed itself in the oil. I was not a happy bunny >:( . So now i have an old seal on one side and nothing on the other.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:57:34 AM »
I guess you got a bad piece... we have been using those felt seals for quite a few years and no known problems.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations