Author Topic: Am I really done ????  (Read 8376 times)

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
Am I really done ????
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
Last week I finally got around to installing my transfer panel and finishing a few things on the genset.  I started the roid, let it come up to temp and turned on everything inside that is bussed to my transfer panel.  The engine had no problem carrying the load and to be honest I was supprized.  I had 20 CFL lights, 2 6 foot flourescent tubes, 4 incandescent bulbs, two ceiling fans, a 52" flat screen with cable box, a 32" flat screen with cable box and a side by side fridge going all at the same time.  The wife was impressed and she has since stopped giving me a hard time about buying the listeroid....life is good!

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
Re: Am I really done ????
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »
Tried to add a picture from the gallery with no success.  Have'nt done it in a couple of years, must be doing something wrong....

Here is the link  http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=5663

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »
Congrats on your completion. It is a quite a personal triumph to achieve the admiration of our wife's for our eccentric purchases. When your lights are on and the rest of the neighborhood is dark, you'll be a hero! My wife is still amazed that visitors want to see the Listeroid and hear it run.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:10:50 AM »
Nice clean easy-to-work-on installation.

Life can be good. 

You know I just live on the next block and it does have wheels.  Ahhh, would you loan it to me a a day or two?  As I'm admiring your wheels; how much does that cart base weigh?

Casey

My wife has been know to remark: "It's finished, when's the buyer stopping by?"
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:35 AM »
Thanks Casey, i purposely made the base large so I could have some room to service the engine and alternator, and to spread out the footprint of the load for stability and smoothness.  So far she runs great.  The wheels came from McMaster Carr, and I welded the base using 1/2" plate top and some large I beams with heavy gauge square tubing for cross members.  The base weighs somewhere around 300 Lbs, and does a good job of keeping the beast tamed.  I used one layer of rubber under the wheels that I salvaged from a tractor trailer mud flap that was found on the side of the road.  One layer works great, it discouples about half of the vibration felt in the garage floor.  I tried two layers, and even two layers of different compound rubber, but the result was excessive vibration/movement.

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »
Had a couple of coworkers stop by and look at the beast running in the garage, they were ready to buy some engines when they left!  Got to thinking that the ignition noise (diesel knock) of my engine always seemed a little loud, so I got out some tools to play with the spill timing.  When I had my engine apart I did make timing marks for TDC, but I never got around to making any other marks.  So being lazy and not having timing marks I started to retard the spill timing until the ignition noise quited down, I continued until there was a noticeable power loss, then started advancing until the knock came back, then retarded the timing again until it quited down again.  I know this is a bonehead, nonscientific way of setting spill timing, however with my engine bump clearance being set close to 8/1 specs and having the changeover valve always screwed in during running, I really did not have good data to go from.  So today I got her warmed up and turned on two of my 1500 watt space heaters, the engine carried the load with ease so I turned on another 1500 watt heater, and the engine carried the load well with clear exhaust and only dropped 1 Hz.  Temperature in the garage was 101 F at approximately 1500 Ft. density altitude.  Looks like the timing must be close as I got similar load results with the original timing setting on an approximately 60 F day, plus she shure is alot quieter!!!  Just wish CMD was still importing this engine, I would buy two more today!

toydiesel01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »
looks really nice

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »
Wow, what a nice installation! The quality of your work will result in a better overall system and more reliability.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
Piper what did you use/build to hush your intake?
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
I used a K&N filter left over from a cold air intake kit left over from my old Jeep.  The intake is made up of a short piece of threaded pipe and threaded pipe reducers that are threaded into the intake flange to increase the outside diameter.  This allowed me to use a silicone coupler to fit over the pipe reducers on the engine side, and to slide a short piece of aluminum tubing inside of the coupler and the K&N filter. The intake silencer is made from a windshield washer fluid bottle that uses two aluminum plates and screws to sandwich the filter end plate for a mount.   Hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I will take some pictures

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
A picture worth a thousand words!   :o

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
A picture would be great!
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Listeroid 8/1

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:49:01 PM »
I will take it apart and shoot some pics in a few days.  The wife made plans for me untill the middle part of next week.

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 06:46:49 AM »
Ok I will let it slide this time :)  I have to install a new timing belt tensioner pulley on my Jetta TDI this weekend & slay the honey-do-list 
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3