Author Topic: Slow it down  (Read 10988 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Slow it down
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 11:54:53 PM »
We are not really talking about catastrophic piston failure but rather service life of the parts and as efficient and complete burning of the fuel as is possible.

As far as the "grenades" (flywheels) are concerned...

Just in rough terms then, I think we are talking about a "safe" speed increase of 300% or 3x our rated speeds - plus an engineering safety factor of 10 for cast iron (in a perfect world). I suspect then the big unknown factor is the quality of the actual casting itself which (if faulty) could possibly blow out all the engineering calculations and make the whole thing moot! Therefore, actual results obtained from nearly 80 years and a half a million production units would be more instructive than all the calculations any engineer could come up with. IMHO

dieselgman

ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Sfene

• View Profile
Re: Slow it down
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 12:35:45 AM »
Your right, just an interesting exercise for my calculator. Only of value in establishing ballpark figures... As far as grenades go, anything can go wrong at any time for any number of reasons, the best anyone can do is mitigate the danger and protect from the potential consequences...

Sfene