Puppeteer

Author Topic: reboring cylinders using a boring stand  (Read 4889 times)

barry100

• View Profile
reboring cylinders using a boring stand
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:41:40 AM »
Hi all
I have a cylinder boring machine and single cylinder boring stand and wish to  bore  HR Lister  cylinders ( 4 1/4" bore) , the hole in the  top of stand is about 70 mm (3 1/2")  so I think I need to bore  the hole to just over 4 1/4 so the boring head can go through to the clamped cylinder below. The clamped cylinder sits on the under side  of the soon to be bored top plate , but my concern when I have bored the hole  most of the machined area where the cylinder will sit will be gone leaving a ring of about 6 mm which should be ok, I think, but will seek advice here before I go ahead.
Regards Barry

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: reboring cylinders using a boring stand
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:00:53 AM »
If your boring stand (head and shaft) is capable (adequately sized) for handling the 4 1/4" jug then I would not worry about the 6mm remaining bearing surface. I have seen a torque plate with similar fit used for these jugs before but I think it had a recess to exactly fit the jug. I know that use of the torque plate is important for this operation... but I am an engine builder - not much of a machinist.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

harryzx-12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:31:15 PM »
 You should no problem as long as you set it up correctly. I have a quik-way fn boring bar with the 054 boring fixture. i also have a van norman 999 boring bar. I've been a machinist since 1975.

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »
Hi All
Thanks for the replys, I havn't got around to boring the stand yet,  what would be the minium ring of metal  i would need left for the cylinder to sit on?
Barry

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:08:43 PM »
Ar you rebooring for a new sleeve, or a new piston ?   Just wondering where you get oversize pistons ?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:23:23 AM »
Barry is boring an HR... oversize pistons are readily available and in stock here.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations