Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel Consumpsion - How To Calculate  (Read 42149 times)

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
Fuel Consumpsion - How To Calculate
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
Guys ,
 Whenever there is any tech data for Lister engines the fuel usage is calculated like this

1 : Specific Fuel Consumption At full Load  [ g/kwh ]
2 : Specific Fuel Consumption At full Load  [ g/bhph ]

Could Someone Explain This And How To Covert this to Liter Or Milli Liters used Per Hour . ???
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Consumpsion - How To Calculate
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
Here is a link to download some really good free conversion software.
http://wscope.com/convert.htm

The rating for a 6/1 is about .11 gallons of fuel per KW or .41 liters. So at full load which is 3KW your fuel consumption is .33 or 1/3rd of a gallon per hour.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
Or, you can put something like:

5 UK gal to L

...into Google and you'll get a search result like:

5 Imperial gallons = 22.7304594 l

Then you'd need to adjust by how many kwh you're generating.
Listeroid 8/1

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
Here is a link to download some really good free conversion software.
http://wscope.com/convert.htm

The rating for a 6/1 is about .11 gallons of fuel per KW or .41 liters. So at full load which is 3KW your fuel consumption is .33 or 1/3rd of a gallon per hour.

Sir ,
 I Could Not Make Any Head or Tail Out of This .Have a look at this link -> http://www.topland-india.com/products/engine/htm/engine_1.htm .Now tell me you to convert from this specs they give to liter
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
Or, you can put something like:

5 UK gal to L

...into Google and you'll get a search result like:

5 Imperial gallons = 22.7304594 l

Then you'd need to adjust by how many kwh you're generating.

Sir ,
 i am asking about g/kwh to liter conversion .If i have got it correct this means grams per kilo watt hour .So if i convert 268 in a 8/1 Lister To Liters Its .268 Liters Per Killo Watt .Hence if I Use 5 KVA Load Per Hour Consumption Should Be .268X5 .Is this correct folks or i am still wrong here  ?  ???
Regards

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
Ah for that you will need to know the grams per liter of diesel which is 850. So a 6/1 uses 268 g per kw or .268 liters per kw. Full output on a 6/1 is 4.4 kw so 4.4 x 268 =  1.179 liters per hour.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »
Yep, and don't confuse mechanical and electrical Killowatts.  The 6/1 outputs 4.4KW.  When belt driving an electric generator, that equates to a little under 3.5KW of electric load due to drive and generator efficiencies.  My 6/1 and 5KW generator head pretty consistently consume .125 US Gallons per KW of electric load per hour. 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
I'll pitch in one idea that Amarbir might have missed:

Technical fuel consumption is always measured in the laboratory by mass of fuel.  This is true of wood, coal, diesel, gasoline, methane, etc.  You burn so many grams or KG of fuel and get so much heat (or power) out.  The reason for this is that the fuel's energy density is measured by unit weight - a gram of a particular diesel fuel makes so many calories of heat energy when burned.

But it's difficult to measure the weight of a container with a hose coming out of it, so the first thing the scientist does is take a sample of the fuel and find its density at standard temperature, and then calculate the energy density of a litre of fuel from that.  It is very easy to measure the amount of ml of fuel consumed from a marked container, so this is the way it is usually done.

Fuels vary both in their density (grams/litre, usually about 850 for diesel fuel) and in their energy density (cal/litre, Mj/litre, diesel usually about 34 Mj/litre).  Back when I worked in a lab, we had to measure a sample of fuel from each batch to determine just what it was so that we knew what its characteristics were.  We would also run the fuel in an engine of known properties and verify that it behaved as the laboratory results and manufacturer numbers predicted.

It's important to compare fuel consumption results with known loads and known fuels, or you don't really know just what has changed to cause a different result.
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen