Author Topic: AC , Motors And Our Lister Engines  (Read 6839 times)

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
AC , Motors And Our Lister Engines
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
Hi Guys ,
    India is a country that is very very hot .Temp currently is 45 Degree Celsius [ Yup You Heard it Right ]  .In peek summers the temperature can go from 50 to 55 degree celsius  .In the current house setup i have the following

1 : 2 AC Running At 230 Volta and 1.5 Tonn Each  [ I think they take 4 KVA Load ]
2 : Geysers [ 2 Of Them ,No Idea of The Load ]
3 : Motors To Draw Water  [ 1 or 2 of them  ]
4 : Other Heavy Stuf That Can Come on and off is Press [ For ironing clothes ]
5 : Other Household load like fans bulbs etc .

My question is as follows  .Assuming We run Both The AC or the geysers in summer and winter respectively  .Also at the same time The household load as in my "5th" Line is running What KVA Am i Looking At

1 : Is It 4+4 KVA + 3.5 KVA For Other Load ?
2 : Or Its More  ? .

Assuming i Am right Can a 16,18 or 20 Single cylinder take the load ? .I mean if the engine starts and one AC starts can the governer adjust back to the rpm and so on with load  .Assuming the construction of this lister is done by me personally and i take care of all parameters .Is a Dual Cylinder Engine Better in this case .Kindly remember its extremely rare to see dual cylinders at my side in india  .

Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: AC , Motors And Our Lister Engines
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Amarbir,

Since you are on-grid. I'd suggest that you read your household power meter during peak loads to see how much power you are using. This will give you a rough idea of your demand (peak load usage). Then take daily readings to record your total usage. Size your generator to meet demand load +25% to handle A/C motors starting surge. And your total usage will give you a rough estimate of your fuel costs.

Is what you are calling a geyser a fountain? In the US a geyser is water heated by volcanic magma that squirts out of the ground. A fountain is a pump that circulates water in a decorative container or pond and may squirt the water in the air.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
in England,the term geyser was used to describe a gas fired hot water boiler,but I have also heard it applied to things like tea urns,so I would imagine them to be at leat 2.5KW.
Amarbir,A couple of years ago I spent some time at my mates mothers house in Pandoori near Jalundhar, things like fridges and freezers were plugged into a small box that said 'voltage stabiliser'on them and had a voltmeter on the front.Have you any idea what these things do ? or are they just an undervolt relay as we got loads of brownouts while I was there.

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »
Amarbir,

Since you are on-grid. I'd suggest that you read your household power meter during peak loads to see how much power you are using. This will give you a rough idea of your demand (peak load usage). Then take daily readings to record your total usage. Size your generator to meet demand load +25% to handle A/C motors starting surge. And your total usage will give you a rough estimate of your fuel costs.

Is what you are calling a geyser a fountain? In the US a geyser is water heated by volcanic magma that squirts out of the ground. A fountain is a pump that circulates water in a decorative container or pond and may squirt the water in the air.

Well,
     This is a water boiler installed in our bathrooms to heat water by electricity In winters so that we could take a bath  . Thanks For The Sizing Idea  .

Question to All : is Anyone of you running AC's "Air Conditioners "  On Listers  ?
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
in England,the term geyser was used to describe a gas fired hot water boiler,but I have also heard it applied to things like tea urns,so I would imagine them to be at leat 2.5KW.
Amarbir,A couple of years ago I spent some time at my mates mothers house in Pandoori near Jalundhar, things like fridges and freezers were plugged into a small box that said 'voltage stabiliser'on them and had a voltmeter on the front.Have you any idea what these things do ? or are they just an undervolt relay as we got loads of brownouts while I was there.

Sir  ,
    There is Too Much Fluctuation In India Of Electrical Power  .Sometimes its Normal Voltage sometimes undervoltage and sometimes overvoltage  .That device is used to manually or automatically correct the same and is extensively used to protect fridges ,AC's Etc .Its Tough To stay in this Country  .BTW what country are you natively from . 
Regards

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
I'm English, That was a sort of Lister spotting holiday.

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
I'm English, That was a sort of Lister spotting holiday.

Wow ,
 How Was Your Experience In the findings  .I am sure you only got listeroids and not lister CS original in the findings  .Also did you see some of the older listers ? .They were built like a tank  ;D Then the once available now  .I hope i was clear and could explain you the deatils of the so called box you referred to
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
Well,
 I Am Bumping This Thread Cos i Am without My Gadgets This Time  .No RPM Meter Etc etc  .AC in Our Country Typically Take 9 To 10 Amps Running  .They Use 4 KVA Stabilizers  .My House Now Has 3 AC 2 1.5 Tonn And 1 0.75 or 1 Tonn .So I Assume My Typical Requirement Is 4+4+2 KVA For AC And Approx 5 Or 6 KVA For Household Appliances  .What i Am Not Able To Understand Is That If My 6 KVA Alternator Can Give 26 Amps Out Then i Should Be Able To Run Atleast 1 AC ,But i Am Not Able To Do So .Yes its True My 8/1 Is Not running @ 850 RPM Now And Hence My 6 KVA Alternator is Definitely Not Running To The Max Output It Can Provide Me  .Another Question is That My Alternator Is Resistive Load Type .If i Run Capacitive Or Inductive Load On This Will Something Happen .Can i Convert This To All Type Of Load .How Can i Modify This
Regards

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
Resistive vs Inductive loading is more a question of efficiency vs total capacity of your set. An 8/1 running at somehwat less than the proper speed (850 rpm), maybe will pull 3.5 or 4 kW (maybe yours is pulling less than that). So it is not an issue of genhead size but rather the horsepower input being limited. Calculate the running current plus startup surge on your AC unit... if that exceeds your horsepower, then no go. A properly running 8/1 should be able to start and run a 0.75 ton AC unit as far as I know, but that is just off-the-cuff. You will need to do the math, and maybe adjust your engine a bit. Also, assumed you shed (removed) your other loads when trying this?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
to get your rpm right... just adjust speed (engine governor) until you get 50Hz. For 1500 rpm shaft speed at the genhead. [60Hz for 1800 rpm in North America.]

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations