Author Topic: Fine Tuning a Listeroid - To Pefection  (Read 7888 times)

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
Fine Tuning a Listeroid - To Pefection
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Hi Mates ,
 I am it again lol .Would Like To Know How To Fine Tune a Listeroid to Perfection .Some Things i Need To Learn .

1 : Balancing
2 : Tuning Piston For Clearance
3 : Perfectly Setting Up The Valves Etc .

Other Parameters You Can Help And Guide Me Better To  .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:16:04 PM by Amarbir[India] »
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
Re: Fine Tuning a Listeroid - To Pefection
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
Hi Mates ,
 I am it again lol .Would Like To Know How To Fine Tune a Listeroid to Perfection .Some Things i Need To Learn .

3 : Perfectly Setting Up The Values Etc .

Other Parameters You Can Help And Guide Me Better To  .
There are high tech ways to balance an engine, but this works about as well as anything for something like a 6/1
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=35.msg4858#msg4858.  If you want to see more about the theory and practice of balancing, read the whole message thread.

Piston clearance is pretty easy - you measure it with a piece of soft lead or clay.  Be sure to measure on both sides of the bore as the crankshaft may not be square to the bore - this is fixed by moving the crank bearing mounts or by shimming the cylinder unevenly.  Here are some threads about piston clearance: http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5303.0, http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=438.0, http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=186.msg2078#msg2078.

Values or valves?  The first thread on piston clearance covers most of the values to  use.  Valves are pretty simple to set for clearance.  The problem is that many of the Indian rocker arms are very poorly finished and do not work the valves in the correct manner.  You can search here for several discussions of this.  Hotater's build of his FuKing is the worst one I've seen.

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »
Hi Mates ,

3 : Perfectly Setting Up The Values Etc .

Other Parameters You Can Help And Guide Me Better To  .
There are high tech ways to balance an engine, but this works about as well as anything for something like a 6/1
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=35.msg4858#msg4858.  If you want to see more about the theory and practice of balancing, read the whole message thread.

Piston clearance is pretty easy - you measure it with a piece of soft lead or clay.  Be sure to measure on both sides of the bore as the crankshaft may not be square to the bore - this is fixed by moving the crank bearing mounts or by shimming the cylinder unevenly.  Here are some threads about piston clearance: http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5303.0, http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=438.0, http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=186.msg2078#msg2078.

Values or valves?  The first thread on piston clearance covers most of the values to  use.  Valves are pretty simple to set for clearance.  The problem is that many of the Indian rocker arms are very poorly finished and do not work the valves in the correct manner.  You can search here for several discussions of this.  Hotater's build of his FuKing is the worst one I've seen.

Sir ,
 Thanks For Taking Time To Explain This To Me  .Can Other People Also Share Small Small Details As How They Tuned Thier Lister To perfection .This will make this thread quite informative for everyone  .
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
Guys ,
 Would Like to add this also in this page -> http://www.utterpower.com/gov_mod.htm
Regards

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
Good etiquette would be to link to Georges site from yours or ask him for permission to copy the page.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
Good etiquette would be to link to Georges site from yours or ask him for permission to copy the page.

Tom ,
 I Understand That And Hence i just linked and did not copy contents off his website  .

Others  :Wake Up guys tell us more about that bdc and tdc and the markings on the wall and that piston clearance and the values adjustments and push rod adjustments etc etc  .Spill the beans
Regards

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
Etiquette may mean something different in the West... for instance, I will always respond to a sincere need voiced by any Lister owner or mechanic. Your posting comes across as a bit rude and also much too general. If you have already attempted your adjustments then you should describe what you are having trouble with - in specifics - and we can respond as we feel the inspiration to help.

Just an honest opinion...

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:25:02 AM »
Etiquette may mean something different in the West... for instance, I will always respond to a sincere need voiced by any Lister owner or mechanic. Your posting comes across as a bit rude and also much too general. If you have already attempted your adjustments then you should describe what you are having trouble with - in specifics - and we can respond as we feel the inspiration to help.

Just an honest opinion...

dieselgman

Poor Me  ,
 I Only Wanted That All Seniors Could Share Some Of Thier Experiences So That Newbiews Like Me Could Learn And If Many Of You Could Post It Could Be a WOK .But Once i Am Doing The Same Myself I Will Surely Post In This Thread  .
Regards

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 05:24:42 AM »
Well, certainly sharing knowledge is a considerable aspect and purpose of this forum. Discussing ideas and solutions is what it is all about for me... about 98% of the time I observe and wait. If I post something it generally will not be just off-the-cuff ramblings but I try to be specific and helpful and only talk what I know to be true. There are already many years worth of discussions stored here including some very thorough treatments of the items you seem to be asking about. I suggest using the search function and then get specific with your additional questions that either have not been addressed or clarified before.

I am quite interested in your perspective as an Indian native on this stuff, but again, a little courtesy and finesse goes a long way. A little factual and specific information is welcome where appropriate, but bad-mouthing and complaining about other businesses or individuals is just not what I come here to read. You are certainly not the only Indian Lister business that frequents this forum and not the only voice for the state of affairs in India.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:29:41 AM by dieselgman »

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
Well, certainly sharing knowledge is a considerable aspect and purpose of this forum. Discussing ideas and solutions is what it is all about for me... about 98% of the time I observe and wait. If I post something it generally will not be just off-the-cuff ramblings but I try to be specific and helpful and only talk what I know to be true. There are already many years worth of discussions stored here including some very thorough treatments of the items you seem to be asking about. I suggest using the search function and then get specific with your additional questions that either have not been addressed or clarified before.

I am quite interested in your perspective as an Indian native on this stuff, but again, a little courtesy and finesse goes a long way. A little factual and specific information is welcome where appropriate, but bad-mouthing and complaining about other businesses or individuals is just not what I come here to read. You are certainly not the only Indian Lister business that frequents this forum and not the only voice for the state of affairs in India.

dieselgman

Gentlemen ,
 Not Only Are you totally misinformed about the purpose of this thread but you have dragged it and taken it too far .I have been extremely polite and humble when i post here .Where is the courtesy And Finesse Missing ? .Care to explain where i bad month and complained about another persons business ? .If you are taking about Mr Patel Well Sure i do not like him as my experience with him is not good .Is it necessary that i have to share the viewpoints that you have of a individual  .Where do you find me doing business on the forums Its you who come here for business not me .I am a individual And a Member of This forum ,I come Here to share my experiences and share work related to lister engines from my fellow friends  .Have You Seen anyone or Even Heard that i have even sold a nut to anyone here ? .Well My Sole Purpose if ever i sell would be to make available Good lister material from india at Same Cost As We Get To Our Members Eliminating People Who Jack Up The Rates And Sell To Others  .You will Only find me active on the forums when i am at my farm and not always .So Please take and chill pill and concentrate on your work instead of teaching me and raking up a controversy for nothing  .If you have nothing to contribute to this thread stay away from it  .I Am not surprised but extremely shocked how a businessmen like you comments on something without even understanding the sole purpose of this thread .If you reply to this post i will feel that you are just trying to create a controversy and i will not reply to your post even if its very insulting and humiliating to me as i feel "My sole purpose of the thread was to put all the findings and if the mods thinks later it can be a stickey " .This would have helped all newbies like me to search for all info in one place instead of searching and trying to find bits and pieces here and there  .Understood mate ? If not then god bless you  As We Are not expert engineers like you but newbies to this field and still in learning mode So Gathering Some Knowledge is what we do here not fight with people  .
Regards

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
No intent to stir up controversy and certainly not to humiliate or otherwise diminish you or your viewpoints. If my comments involve more than this particular thread, it was not intended to confuse but rather to simplify and just leave the rest alone. Hopefully we are all learners here, that is my own intent and attitude. It is only my point to let you know one of the ways your own communication style and content is affecting others - In particular myself. If further explanation is desired, you may email or PM me and I will respond accordingly. Enough said, move on and enjoy!

I am certain that many of us are eager to know what you witness and experience in that part of the world! So keep up, and keep us informed!

dieselgman

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
  As in a full re-machining and blue printing? Then dyno tune for peak torque and HP ?
  I would find British engine or at least a roid built in India while the Brits still ran the factory.