Puppeteer

Author Topic: It's big and green and pulled 30 amps  (Read 6713 times)

dkwflight

• View Profile
It's big and green and pulled 30 amps
« on: May 20, 2006, 02:31:26 AM »
Hi group
I got the belt today.

I installed it and got the gen running stable at no load today. around 240 volts. Had a hard time getting it stable, 1st cue to governor issues?

I then added a load of around 3 amps for a blower motor. Tweeked it some more.

I added about 13 amps load from a heater element. As I connected another 13 amps I dropped the load. The engine seemed to be in a runaway mode as I had added some spring tension to hold the load.

I added another heater element. which brought the load up to  30 amps. I carried the 30 amp load for about 1/2 hour to get the temps up. The volts and load where stable. As soon as I dropped part of the load the engine speeded up and ofcourse the volts climbed.

At 30 amps the engine sounded very nice, and the temps were even between the cylinders.

The governor has a problem! It will handle a steady load but should be able to accept a changeing load. A lighter spring doesn't seem to be the solution at this time. I had to screw the knob over about 1/8" to pick up the load

Some dis-assembly required, I think. Possibly the governor has some machining issues.

Any suggestions gladly accepted.

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:48:10 AM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

rsnapper

• View Profile
Re: It's big and green and pulled 30 amps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 05:11:17 AM »
I wound up putting a weaker spring on my 28/2. It would only control to about 5 cycles with the stock spring. I had to run the adjustment nut way down to finally get it to control to within 1 cycle with the weaker spring. I messed with different lengths and found that with the adjustment nut at the original location on the screw (about 3/4" to 1" from the end) it still wouldn't control very well even with the weaker spring. Might have something to do with the guts of the governor. With the weaker spring the adjustment nut is screwed down much further ( the outboard end of the screw is almost flush with the inboard edge of the flywheel) and it controls great. Again it may have something to do with the guts of the governor. The stock spring may keep it at just the wrong point where the governor has a hard time breaking over "hump". With the weaker spring and the adjustment screwed way in, it seems not to encounter the hump. It may have some machineing issues but changing the adjustment has helped mine tremendously.  I can load more than 42 amps then unload and it controls just right for me. I can email a pic if you want and can send you a spring if you want, no cost. The engine doesn't strain with the load I have put on it so far.

Glad you have your engine running and producing already. This is my first Listeroid and so far I have been well pleased with it. I'm almost finished with the shed for it then I can concentrate on the final connections such as hooking to my manual transfer switch, larger and remote fuel tank, closed loop cooling. I picked up a heat exchanger for an air handler that uses hot water to heat a home. It has a Grundfos circulation pump on it already. I don't really care for the twin water outlets' location on the engine but not much can be done there. I intend, read hope there is enough room, to put a thermostat in each head before I finish the cooling loop.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:27:19 AM »
Hi I got a lighter spring and longer but it isnt quite right. At what weight does your spring start to open the coils?
I ran a length of small chain to a nut on the cover on the otherside of the engine and the spring I bought which is quite a bit longer. The chain allows small adjustments in length. I ended up only screwing the knob in only a few turns to come up to speed.

When I pulled the original spring mount screw oil comes out from the cam area. So I had to put the screw back in!
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/dkwflight/?action=view&current=100_0150.jpg

It drops from 63hz to 57 at 42 amps load. I ran at 42 for about an hour. I need to work on the cooling system more, probably a car rad and t-stats. When I hit the boiling point it just blows the water out of the top hoses. very little flow. I'm useing clear hoses they get soft but can stand boiling temps so I can see what is happening there.

I have some smoke from one cyl under load. May be some deck height adjustment is in order.
Dennis
I'll PM with my address
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:05:10 AM by dkwflight »

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30:32 AM »

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/dkwflight/?action=view&current=100_0150.jpg

I'll PM with my address

your air filter looks like it's been crushed with excess vacuum, too weedy a filter

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 04:07:48 AM »
Hi No the filter is crushed by the threaded rod. Purely my fault. It also got damp when some unexpected rain fell. The filter is for a V8 ford van and is not supported properly. When the engine is running the paper doesn't move with the air flow pulses.
I will be replaceing the paper with an oil bath type when I can find one of the proper size. I've been looking for a used tracter parts yard. I found one yard but havent michigan called yet.
Thanks for the thought and thanks for posting the pic. I have'nt got the feel for coppermine, yet.
I'm shopping the U-Pullit this weekend for a rad.
Dennis

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »
It drops from 63hz to 57 at 42 amps load. I ran at 42 for about an hour. I need to work on the cooling system more, probably a car rad and t-stats. When I hit the boiling point it just blows the water out of the top hoses. very little flow. I'm useing clear hoses they get soft but can stand boiling temps so I can see what is happening there.

Dennis
I'll PM with my address

Have you removed the coolant manifolds from the cylinders?

On my 6/1 the lower cored coolant passage into the cylinder very restricted by flashing.  A die grinder and a carbide burr, did a little porting and greatly improved
the circulation.

And those T's you are using for elbows are a lot more restrictive then an actual elbow would be, the larger the radius the better.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:10:30 PM by Andre Blanchard »

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 11:30:45 PM »
Hi I haven't pulled the engine down yet, but it is in my plan.
So little play time so kuch to do ;D
Dennis