Author Topic: 6/1 Listeroid Kit Progress - Test Run  (Read 26242 times)

Zero_G

• View Profile
6/1 Listeroid Kit Progress - Test Run
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
Well, I finally had time to put my Listeroid generator all together, and it seems to work well. Setup includes Winco 4KW gen head, GM alternator, small gel battery, radiator and pump bought off of E-Pay. The radiator has a thermoswitch that cuts the fan on at 190F and off at 150F, and under half load, cooled it more than adequately. I ran it for an hour at 1500W load, and will try 3000W load next time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYH_7lHCcaI[/youtube]

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: 6/1 Listeroid Kit Progress - Test Run
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
Nicely done.  I really like the sensible size and look of the aluminum radiator but I have to ask.

What's the battery for?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
Nicely done.  I really like the sensible size and look of the aluminum radiator but I have to ask.

What's the battery for?

Casey

To power the cooling fan I would think!! Nice set up but if you don't mind me saying I would charge the battery with a charger running off the main genny. Reason being that the car alternator you have fitted will be using more engine energy than the battery will need to keep it topped up.
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Zero_G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »
Y'all tell me if I am off base here. The alternator has 4 connections, output, ground, and 2 wires (coil wires) that, when connected, excite the field coil. When the coil wires are connected, I think that there must be a battery attached to the output & ground to excite the field coil. When the field coil is excited, the alternator puts out over 14 VDC, putting a 1.5 KW load (guess) on the engine. This output could be used for bulk battery charging. Without the field coil excited, the alternator puts out 12.3 VDC, without any engine load to speak of, but providing adequate power to run the pump and radiator fan. Do I understand what is going on here, or am I missing something?

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:02:29 AM »
Well I asked because I thought you had discovered or invented a new started motor but it seems your utilizing the factor supplied one.

I think what we might suggest is that the for the fan load a modest AC battery charger hooked up to your Winco.  It's ghost load would be pretty small and should provide enough juice to make the fan happen as needed.  I'm going on a limb here but if you thermostated the AC to it there would be no ghost load and with the far lower current loads the switch should last longer.  I'm going to ad that the Winco should be a lot more efficient than your auto alternator not to forget one less pesky belt to deal with.  OK gentlemen, hand me the saw.

How are you powering the water pump?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »
Looking good ;)

Air filter eliment part number please.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »

Nice work !

Seems like a well behaved engine.
What brand is the Listeroid ?

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
Hey Zero_G,

I feel cheap about my earlier posts.  Your engine / generator system look great and runs like a clock.  You've accomplished more than I have in this running engine adventure.  Sleeping engine out on the carport as it came from the factory I'm doing real good at.  I haven't even got the new belts from the flywheel to the generator installed.

You've done an excellent job and deserve the credit you're receiving on this thread.

Veggie mentioned something many of us missed.  It's running amazingly smooth.  I'm still impressed with the small aluminum radiator.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Zero_G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Looking good ;) Air filter eliment part number please.

I thought somebody might like that setup. FRAM CA3902

Zero_G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
....How are you powering the water pump?

It is connected to the battery. It works well for Chinese crap, and the price was right.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-Electric-Centrifugal-Water-Pump-103-GPH-P-38I-/260780113389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb7b4bded

Zero_G

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
Nice work ! Seems like a well behaved engine. What brand is the Listeroid ?

Thank you. It is a bit of a "scooter", but the wooden base grips the ground well enough to keep it from moving around. I am not sure of the brand. I bought it as a "kit" from dieselgman.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:40:08 AM by Zero_G »

Zero_G

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
I feel cheap about my earlier posts.  Your engine / generator system look great and runs like a clock. ...You've done an excellent job and deserve the credit you're receiving on this thread. Veggie mentioned something many of us missed.  It's running amazingly smooth.  I'm still impressed with the small aluminum radiator.

Thanks for the credit. I was worried about the radiator capacity, but it seems to be fine. I would like to make a shroud so air gets sucked across the whole thing, though. Stay tuned for further adventures!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small-Engine-Radiator-Fan-Cap-Assembly-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4153ea5dd3QQitemZ280580742611QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
Thanks for the credit. I was worried about the radiator capacity, but it seems to be fine. I would like to make a shroud so air gets sucked across the whole thing, though. Stay tuned for further adventures!

Other than nice job, there are only two comments I can add. 

The first you are already thinking about.  Put a shroud plate around that fan, as currently you only have access to about half of that radiator's cooling capacity.  With forced air, it takes suprisingly little radiator to dissipate the heat from a 6/1 engine...  I would say proceed with the full load runs and get her loaded down and broke in:)

Unless you are really fond of the alternator, I agree with previous posts, and say ditch it for a power supply driven from the main generator to feed the battery.  A supply at say 13.4-13.6V capable of delivering the full current used by the long duration loads(fan) should be sufficient to maintain the battery without overcharging it...  For that fan, this basically comes down to a large wall wart power supply...

Again, nice job...

PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
Nice job, sounds good!

Just a couple comments if it were mine, as others have said get rid of the alternator and battery. I would raise the radiator up slightly above the engine and use thermosyhon instead of water pump and fan. You may find no fan is even required. I always think if that water pump or fan quits for some reason you could cook your engine. Whereas thermosyhon is pretty reliable.

I use the same air filter setup but run mine through the wall outside under the eaves. Way quieter out there, and always sucking cooler air.Winter time I connect it inside.     Again Good Job!

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
I have to agree on raising the radiator....I'll stay away from commenting on the alternator.....I have a 165 amp Leece Nevel on one of mine for the day I need lots of 12v. One of my 6/1's has a small radiator a little bigger than yours. It will cool it just fine with thermo siphon. The fan is needed for calm hot days if outside. I would loose the pump and increase my reservoir size.... and go to complete thermo siphon. That is just me and my experience. If your pump or battery system fails it will get hot fast. With the radiator elevated and set up for vertical flow the thermo siphon will save you until you loose water. A large reservoir tank will help preserve the thermo siphon.

sorta like this....

Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA