Puppeteer

Author Topic: Casting void in Flywheel noted  (Read 14430 times)

Spark_Chaser

• View Profile
    • Web Page
Casting void in Flywheel noted
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
Pictures on the Lister Engine Gallery.

Noticed a casting void / flaw in one of my flywheels.

GM90 6/1, 750 rpm max, aprox 2 hours running before disassembled for shipping.

How worried or not should I be about this?
Spark_Chaser
6/1 GM90 disassembled and in work

past
5KW ST sold
Northern Lights 7KW sold

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Casting void in Flywheel noted
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
I haven't got any idea but I think if you insert a hyperlink to your jpg on LEG it would be really interesting for the all of us to see the reality of reproduction engines.

I've heard the manufactures' remedy is to use fiberglass body filler.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Spark_Chaser

• View Profile
    • Web Page
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:40:35 AM »
OK Link to actual picture here:

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=5435

Mostly concerned about the flywheel coming apart during use.

I'd put an image in my post but I cannot figure out how to do it.  Must not be using the insert image button in the correct manner.
Spark_Chaser
6/1 GM90 disassembled and in work

past
5KW ST sold
Northern Lights 7KW sold

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 04:40:08 AM »
     "I've heard the manufactures' remedy is to use fiberglass body filler."

HA!!!  I wish they used fiberglass!!!  My flywheels, block, etc.  were filled in with some material slightly softer and lighter than drywall joint compound.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
I would run it...........I worry about what we can't see.....I see they compinsated for it with the drilled hole 180 deg...
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »
What ever you don't strip it down to bare metal. 

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
Pictures on the Lister Engine Gallery.

Noticed a casting void / flaw in one of my flywheels.

GM90 6/1, 750 rpm max, aprox 2 hours running before disassembled for shipping.

How worried or not should I be about this?

Well,
 will leave it to experts but this is a nasty one boss
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
To run or not, would I run it??????? Hell no!! :o :o If that broke loose god help anyone within a few hundred feet of it.
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »
To run or not, would I run it??????? Hell no!! :o :o If that broke loose god help anyone within a few hundred feet of it.

Well ,
    Though i am newbie but i am sure if he can remove that filling he could get a better idea .Guys if you come across this type of issue how would you solve it  ?
Regards

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
Buy only the original.  Restore as necessary.  Rejoice in owning a world renown machine.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
Buy only the original.  Restore as necessary.  Rejoice in owning a world renown machine.

Casey

Respected Casey ,
 With Due Regards Some People Just Cannot Find One  .Also i would like to state that even lister perfected it slowly .In india The Issue is that people in rajkot ,Ahmedabad , Agra And Delhi Never Sat Down To Make a Standard To Which they Will Make a Lister .This is the root cause of the same  .Belive me I am on my third lister project here in india which i name after my dog brownie Called " brownieman "  .I will actually hop into one small town in my home state called punjab and meet some very old dealers of lister and its spares .Actually i am very friendly with one person there and we will actually sit and make one listeroid to the best of the parts that are available in india 
Regards

cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:16 PM »
Can you afford to not run it?      If you have the money, and can find replacements, maybe you should replace the wheels.      I would consider taking it down to bare metal to see what other hidden problems there may be, before deep sixing the wheels, especially if your almost sure you're going to replace them anyway.      I have seen bigger engines, with WAY more horsepower, at WAAAAYYYY higher rpm frag without killing anyone or thing.   Not suggesting you should try it,   but I might.       I have also seen some really strong flywheel/belt guards that might increase your safety if you do decide to use those wheels.   It's a call to be made on a case by case basis.

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »

Well ,
    Though i am newbie but i am sure if he can remove that filling he could get a better idea .Guys if you come across this type of issue how would you solve it  ?

Good question Amarbir, the only way I can think of making that flywheel 'reasonably' safe to use is to have a mild steel tyre sweated onto it. I would go for at least a 1/4" tyre and I would have both wheels done. Having said that, looking at the photos of the offending flywheel, the casting of the spokes looks doubtful too and begs the further question, what is the state of the rest of the engine.
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »

Well ,
    Though i am newbie but i am sure if he can remove that filling he could get a better idea .Guys if you come across this type of issue how would you solve it  ?

Good question Amarbir, the only way I can think of making that flywheel 'reasonably' safe to use is to have a mild steel tyre sweated onto it. I would go for at least a 1/4" tyre and I would have both wheels done. Having said that, looking at the photos of the offending flywheel, the casting of the spokes looks doubtful too and begs the further question, what is the state of the rest of the engine.

Well,
 These Days i am at my farm and i have one question after the other  .I went to a place to look for wheels ,Have a look What i Saw There  .

Question : They Know That This is Not a Good Wheel ,But They Bargain on pricing and hence end up buying !#!#! and Selling @#!@#! .So Does it Mean 100% Perfect Wywheels Are Not Made In India think again  "They Have Been And They Are Still  "
Regards

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 03:40:30 AM »
With Due Regards Some People Just Cannot Find One

Please sir,

Give me a break.  This Lister - Listeroid thing is not economically driven.  It is collector driven.  I cannot see any situation that would not be better served by these "hypnotic" engines than by more modern designs.  No sir.  It is driven by a quest, desire, trance like need to have this style, look, and sound of engine.

A week ago there were three scenarios on this site for acquiring a genuine Lister engine.  The CS sold for $3,000 in California (I presume as it is not available any longer.)  Admittedly the other two were not the CS units but they were close genuine Lister cousins. 

For $5,000 one could go to the United Kingdom, purchase such a unit, have it shipped to most ports in the Northern hemisphere and get a two plus week vacation to the Lister capital of the world included. 

As for these flywheels:  Why not purchase a new set of electric styled wheels?

Just for historical curiosity:  How many Listeroid flywheels have come apart in the United States ever.  I know a couple of dealers read these posts as well as many serious users.  No hear say but ones you have actually seen the pieces?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator