Author Topic: Lister TL3 engine has a loose valve guide  (Read 3976 times)

barry100

• View Profile
Lister TL3 engine has a loose valve guide
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »
Hi all
I have a loose valve guide in a TL3 cylinder head and I would like to fix it if possible, the new goes in with a light tap with a small hammer,, my first idea  was to knurl the guide with maybe a straight spline type patern or I could use  square hatch and the loctite it in, the guides are of a plain type with no flange to locate them, any ideas would be welcome
Regards Barry

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister TL3 engine has a loose valve guide
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:11:56 AM »
Is it the inlet? or exhaust guide? Inlet guide could easily be swapped with an oversize to match actual bore dimension... exhaust could also be done this way but it also has a counterbore - a little harder to match up.
loctite is not a great idea unless you don't mind the risk of losing the head the next time the guide is worn out. knurling is a common enough machine shop practice but you are dealing with both aluminum and iron in that bore and the results could be unpredictable. A guide is a couple bucks, a head casting is several hundred $. We can easily get you used replacement iron top plates, the aluminum lower plate is where the bigger bucks get involved.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
If the problem lies with the Aluminium section of the head, it is possible that the valve guide boss casting is cracked, as this is known to happen (if this is the case it should be visible). In this case the effective solution is replacement of this section of the cylinder head.

If it is not cracked the most effective solution is to source an oversize valve guide (or have one machined from a valve guide with similar dimensions, or even have one custom made), and then ream the corresponding valve guide bore to a suitable interferance fit.

FYI the same head is used on TS and TR engines.

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Hi All
 i put the engine back together using another head, I put the manifolds on using two gaskets per head one one the head side of the air shroud and one on the manifold side. (The older Listers just had one on the manifold side) but now the air shroud is sitting away from the heads about 1 mm just about  the same thickness as the manifold gasket, so I'm not sure about the two gaskets, I have two other TL3 engines, and on them there is no gap on them, anybody got a parts book handy
Regards Barry