Author Topic: Tractor oils  (Read 7334 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Tractor oils
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »
 Those living in rural areas with a need for a fairly light oil without too much contamination, could do worse than to ask their local farmers about their used tractor oils, some of the newer big and fancy tractors hold as much as 30 gallons of thin oil in the back end which needs changing at 1500 hour intervals, on large farms this adds up to a lot of oil.    One of the problems I have found but thankfully quite rare, is getting a 45 gallon drum home only to find its half full or more of water.    Some of the oil has hardly needed thinning before use and in my view is is a superior alternative to WMO as a diesel substitute.  Not tried it in a Lister yet but both my Perkins 4-270 D genset and IH 3434 tractair love it with only a little more smoke than when diesel fuelled.

Mark.

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
Re: Tractor oils
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:18:57 PM »
Good idea.
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »
And because of those qualities, a lot of farm operators just turn around and dump that oil into their fuel tanks and burn it there.:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »
Not too sure on that one, if you had spent £60k + on a tractor would you want to put used oil in its fuel tank and risk invalidating the warranty ?