Puppeteer

Author Topic: Injection pump question ???  (Read 5296 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Injection pump question ???
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:50:04 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
Re: Injection pump question ???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:48 AM »
Sir ,
 For Sure This is a 1000 RPM .But the Rest of The Question I Did Not Understand  .When you tech guys speak in english it goes above my head ,Can you click a photo so that we poor mortals can also understand that what the issue is or was .
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
Now for the question(s) Pump timing on the 24 HP engine is advanced due to higher engine speeds and as youall know that is done by running the bolt up on the cam follower. Has to be hard on the pump and cam and drive to be jamming the pumps against the internal stops right?? Timing is set correctly now so what do I do? back the timing off so the plunger isn't being pushed tight? What will retarding the timing do to performance at rated RPM. I think it is 1000 RPM for the 24/2.

Thanks

As you have correctly identified, if you continue to advance the pump. You will eventually get a situation arise where the the pump plunger element inside the fuel pump is making contact with the underside of the delivery valve holder. This is not a good situation to have as you will quickly damage the element and delivery valve (d/valve) as these items are most delicate, when compared to the cam follower and lobe.

I cant comment on Listeriod engines (because I don't have any, so don't have to endure these type of problems  ;D), but on a genuine Lister engine, you should never need to run with an amount of advance sufficient for the the above situation to occur. However if as you say the spill timing is now correctly set, you may be suffering from a manufacturing defect within the pump itself, which is preventing you from obtaining the correct spill cut off point before you run out of adjustment and the plunger makes contact with the underside of the d/valve.

Firstly I would try another element in the pump, as the helix position on the plunger may be where the manufacturing error lays, if it still persists then try another pump. Finally if the problem still persists put a spacer between the top of the element and the delivery valve (I know this is a bodge up solution, but it would save further damaging your pump internals and could cure the problem).

Unless you drastically retard off the the timing your not going to notice a significant drop off in power, what you will notice is starting will become harder, and exhaust smoke visibility will increase.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »
If your idler gear is off a tooth would it cause this? I have no idea how to check this on a 24/2 if the gears aren't already marked and marked properly. On a 6/1 it's easy.

Amarbir: His injector pump timing (spill timing or injection timing) is so far advanced (ahead) the plunger or piston on the injector pump is hitting the valve in the pump. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Geno

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »
If your idler gear is off a tooth would it cause this? I have no idea how to check this on a 24/2 if the gears aren't already marked and marked properly.

That could be a more plausible explanation, but if this is the case then the engine will run like a sack of S**T, because the valve timing will also be be retarded by a similar amount. If it is the case then it would be easy to check, like so:

If the engine timing is correct, then the rocker arms can be seen 'rocking over' on TDC, ie as the exhaust valve closes, the inlet valve commences opening. So you just need to check this event with reference to the TDC marks that should be present on the flywheel rim, assuming of course that they have being correctly marked in the first place  ::)

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
If your idler gear is off a tooth would it cause this? I have no idea how to check this on a 24/2 if the gears aren't already marked and marked properly. On a 6/1 it's easy.

Amarbir: His injector pump timing (spill timing or injection timing) is so far advanced (ahead) the plunger or piston on the injector pump is hitting the valve in the pump. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Geno

Good Try  ;D ,
   first thanks a tonn  .he means to say that the timing of the injector is not ok .Is that so .Well then you also said that plunger is hitting the value .If i have understood correctly the height of the tappet can be adjusted and i think geno sir you are right it has to do something with the internal gear adjustment .BTW i think this too will have markings .
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares