Author Topic: Lister HB2?  (Read 17404 times)

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Lister HB2?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
So the banjo bolts should be available new?

They are, but your most likely and convienient source in the US is the other poster on this thread, however if you were to able to locate anyone breaking any air cooled lister engine of the same age this component is found on all these engines. From memory these banjo bolts have a metric M14 thread on them, so a diesel fuel injection reconditioning company might be another option to try.

Is it unwise to fit some sort of pulley or sprocket to the crank handle shaft for electric starting? I would like to retain the ability to hand start, but also be able to electric start so I can set it up as a backup generator in future.

I personally wouldn't do it!  As it is very likely you will sooner or later shear off the woodruff key holding the timing gear onto the camshaft, or worse. As these components are not designed to take the shock loading that this would impose on these parts.

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Ah OK, I had assumed it was just part of the crankshaft.

Lister parts aren't overly common hear in Australia, I doubt I'd be able to find an electric start flywheel, and obviously it's going to be far to heavy to ship from somewhere else. I'm wondering if perhaps I could fit a ring gear from an automatic transmission flex plate or somehow fit the entire flex plate and still be able to run a generator from the flywheel side...

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »
You should be able to fit a ring gear from any of the H series flywheels. That piece will not be too heavy to ship. The iron housing is another matter... bulky and heavy to boot. Delco starters will fit with a spacer plate available for the purpose. The Delco is most common and I believe a 28MT is the model... also can use a more modern gear-reduction version that bolts up exactly as the 28MT.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:21 AM »
Also apparently I missed it but did you post a picture somewhere? If you already have the iron housing then no problem getting the rest of your starting gear shipped... I have not seen the sheetmetal housing used on the HB before, only on some of the little S and L series diesels.

dieselgman

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 04:59:40 AM »
Interesting, thanks. Are you able to supply me with those parts?

I did post a photo on the first page, it was from the eBay auction. I will take some better photos tonight if I can.

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »

Pics as promised:

Back of the flywheel:

The rest of the photos are in this gallery:
http://zyrex.org/gallery/Cars/DauntsVolvo/random/lister/

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »
Thinking about it, maybe I'm better off belt driving the generator from a pulley. That would allow me to have a belt drive 12v motor/generator for starting, or mount an automotive flex plate and starter behind the pulleys and just belt drive an automotive 12v alternator.

It would also mean I could size the pulleys so that the engine is doing 1800rpm and making 22hp, rather than around 17hp @ 1500, while still turning the generator head at 1500 rpm. Though if the engine makes enough power at 1500 rpm to run a 10kw generator head then it probably doesn't matter, and I would like to have direct drive if I could... just thinking aloud here really.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:48:26 AM by Dauntless »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »
If you desire parts for this conversion, it is best to email me directly... we have plenty of these models around and can do something for you.

dieselgman

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:42 AM »
No worries, have sent you an email.

Is it OK to run a 15w40 diesel oil in this engine, like Mobil Delvac MX?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:25:18 AM by Dauntless »

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »
No worries, have sent you an email.

Is it OK to run a 15w40 diesel oil in this engine, like Mobil Delvac MX?

Still looking for an answer on this, I'd like to change the oil soon. Also it looks like I'll need a new oil drain plug, are they easy to get?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
Yes, 15-40 diesel grade oil is fine for your HB. oil drain plug was originally BSP. That is very close to standard pipe threads and can be altered to fit just any pipe plug or fitting you want to use or have available handy.

dieselgman