Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister HB2?  (Read 17305 times)

Dauntless

• View Profile
Lister HB2?
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't find anywhere else to post it.

I'm looking into buying a Lister HB2, from what I gather it's 24hp, 1855cc, 2000rpm.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find much more information than that, except that it's made between 1958 and 1969.

Are they a good engine, suitable for running a decently sized 230v 50hz AC generator? I understand that I will need to get the generator running at 3000 or 1500 rpm depending on the generator, to get 50hz. When finished I would intend to run it for backup when the power goes out, and if I have excess fuel, run it to put power onto the grid to lower my electricity bill.

How is parts availability for this model? Anything in particular I should know about? Are they direct or indirect injection?

All help and advice here is greatly appreciated, thanks.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister HB2?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:01:10 AM »
The Lister (snip) HA/HB had different weight flywheels for different speed ranges. basically the same design but was discontinued in favor of the HR.
HA/HB has direct injection, parts availability is good but not from all sources. We can help you with the parts. gsj@gci.net

dieselgman
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:46:03 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:51:57 AM »
The Lister HB is a 3 cylinder, the HA is a 2 cylinder. basically the same design but was discontinued in favor of the HR.
HA/HB has direct injection, parts availability is good but not from all sources. We can help you with the parts. gsj@gci.net

dieselgman

Righto, thanks.

The seller says the engine ID is 65HB214, and states 2000 rpm 24hp. Looking at the following pages, it looks like HAs do 1800rpm and HBs do 2000 rpm, both being available in 2 and 3 cylinder versions. Also seems that it was made in 1964.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74718
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusers.skynet.be%2Fsky34301%2Fengdata.html&rct=j&q=lister%20hb2%20ha2%202000%20rpm%2024&ei=QfWTTZS0AsLMcMrg1aUH&usg=AFQjCNH9RCWh7KUUcOr1UytfiABakw9c1g&cad=rja

Here is a photo of the engine, definitely a 2 cylinder:

Do you think this engine will suit my needs listed above?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:59:39 AM by Dauntless »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »
Affirmative, my memory is a bit creaky these days. It is the rpm that differentiates those model designations. Should be good for 10 to 12 kW. The main and rod bearings are a bit small in this model compared to the long-running HR model but they did not have any major or particular failings that I am aware of. Nice solid iron cylinder heads, heavy flywheels and available SAE adapters for direct coupling your generator head.

dieselgman

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:05:37 AM »
Thanks for that. I have heard that some direct injection Listers are not suitable for running on blends WMO or WVO with diesel or biodiesel, does that apply to this model too?

Also the seller has told me one of the hard metal injector lines is missing, are these easy to find spares for?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:15:45 AM by Dauntless »

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
The main and rod bearings are a bit small in this model compared to the long-running HR model

Thats because the HA/HB engine is 4" bore verses the HR 4.25" bore.

I myself have a HA4 and a HB6, both in running condition.

The only difference is between HA and HB engines is slightly higher running speed for the HB version.

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »
So I can get around 50L of used veggie oil every 2 weeks, but I still end up with around 5L of WMO per month, would this fairly small amount be OK to filter and blend in?

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
So how hard to find an injector line to fit it?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:06:36 AM »
HR injector lines will fit properly - so readily available and in stock.

dieselgman

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
HR injector lines will fit properly - so readily available and in stock.

dieselgman

They will fit as this item is identical across the 2 and 3 cylinder HA, HB, and HR range.

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:49:40 AM »
Ah great, thanks. Do you have a website or online shop listing parts, etc?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:51:30 AM by Dauntless »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:29:39 AM »
Our website will give you an idea, but ordering is still via email and phone contact. The next generation of this site is long overdue but please bear with us. Most of the data there is accurate, not 100% though.

Thanks! dieselgman

http://diesel-electric.us

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
Thanks for the info. I picked up the engine on Saturday. It looks like the injector lines are there, but the banjo bolts for attaching the low pressure flexible lines to what seems to be a low pressure pick up pump are missing, so I'll need to buy those.

Also, not sure about the condition of the injectors, or actually how they work.

I'd also like to get an electric starter motor for the engine if possible, are they available?

It has a variable speed throttle on it, I assume this will need to be changed to set it up as a generator to run a constant 1500 rpm?

Am I right in thinking that at 1500 rpm this engine will make around 17hp, making an 8-10kva generator head ideal? Or should I post this question in the generator section?

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
It looks like the injector lines are there, but the banjo bolts for attaching the low pressure flexible lines to what seems to be a low pressure pick up pump are missing, so I'll need to buy those.

I'd also like to get an electric starter motor for the engine if possible, are they available?

The missing banjo bolts will be identical to the the same items found on any aircooled lister engine of the same period.

Electric starting on your engine is not possible, in its present configuration, as the flywheel fanshroud looks to be sheet metal. Which means the flywheel has no ring gear. So in addition to a starter ring, you will also need a cast iron fanshroud to bolt the starter motor on to. Hand starting these engine is not difficult providing they are in reasonably good mechanical condition.

Dauntless

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
Interesting, thanks. So the banjo bolts should be available new?

Is it unwise to fit some sort of pulley or sprocket to the crank handle shaft for electric starting? I would like to retain the ability to hand start, but also be able to electric start so I can set it up as a backup generator in future.