Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Pulling Gib Keys (What a great tool!)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Reno Speedster:
No this is not the wedge system.  Let me see if I can describe it.    It is two 1/2 thick plates (about 4x2) which are bolted together on edge to form a square about 4 inches across that is split down the middle.  A hole the diamiter of the crankshaft has been bored in the square so that there is a half circle cut out of each side.  One side has a notch cut in it so that it goes over the thin portion of the Gib Key.  This means that one side goes over the thin portion of the gib key and arround half the crank shaft, the other side is then bolted on clamping arround the other side of the crank and insureing that the puller is secure.  On the gib key side there are two threaded holes for two allen bolts that go through the plate and press against the flywheel.  A single allen bolt goes through the non key side.  By turning these three bolts tighter the plate is pushed back against the shoulder of the Gib key and very neatly pushes it out.  Sorry, I can't figure out how to post pictures here as it is quite simple and self explanitory once you see the tool.  Hope that helps.  As I said, when George makes some more, I'll buy one from him.

quinnf:
Morgan,

I understand.  That's a nice simple method.  I had thought of doing something similar, boring a 2" hole with a rectangular cutout in a piece of 1/2" steel to allow the thing to pass over the gib key head, then turn it 90 degrees or so and tighten three allen or hex head machine screws which would push on the hub of the flywheel.  The wedges were simpler, so that's what I did.  I've had the flywheels off and on three times now, so mebbe it's time to get one if George is selling them.

Quinn

Copybell:
Quinnf,
   I have taken pictures of a gib key puller that I fabricated.  I tried unsuccesfully to post them using coppermine photo gallery.  If you are interested I am happy to send them to you by way of E-mail.

COPYBELL

quinnf:
COPYBELL,

Why don't you email me the pic which you can access by clicking on the envelope to the left of this post and I'll upload it to coppermine and describe in a followup post exactly how I did it. 

I can't recall all the steps right now, but once I do them, I'll be able to tell you how to.  It's not hard once you've figured it out, but getting there the first time is sort of like finding the bathroom in a strange house in the dark.   ;)

Quinn

Copybell:
There is no envelope to the left of your message.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version