Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 6 HP 6-1 Engine Startomatic Diesel Generator - Ebay UK  (Read 13472 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Lister CS 6 HP 6-1 Engine Startomatic Diesel Generator - Ebay UK
« on: February 16, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260738212307&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

It'll be interesting how this one goes.  Looks like what a lot of people dream about.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:17:52 PM by sailawayrb »

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
Re: Lister CS 6 HP 6-1 Engine Startomatic Diesel Generator - Ebay UK
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:25:41 AM »
Picky, Picky, Picky.

Bet it gets pulled before the auctions over.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »
Erm, the linked auction is a different engine to the one I think you're thinking of....
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
Erm, the linked auction is a different engine to the one I think you're thinking of....

You are correct.  This was the one I was thinking of:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260737573083

Thank you for pointing this out!

Bob B.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
Ahhh, the power of suggestion.

So is it looking more like a good place to start?  And it does have the SOM flywheels.  I guess I'll always be a chump for big flywheels.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Well...

The first thoughts that went through my head were: Why would you buy an engine, and then not run it for 5 years, then sell it again?

Now... there are several legitimate reasons that I can think of; but the one that keeps coming back to me is: He tried, but it won't go. Maybe after a bit of tinkering, he gave up & now the mrs is moaning about "that thing".

His added comments about the Start-o-Matic boxes are quite true. Looking at the state of mine, I'd be very reluctant to rely on the 1950s electronics for anything other than show use. As it happens, my SOM alternator is fritzed anyway, hence using an ST head & a flex plate w/ starter motor to start it.

IMHO - if the engine is sound, then it's certainly a good place to start. Depending on what you want to do with it, you could either restore it to its former glory for show purposes (in which case, it's about as good a place as any to get started), or strip the old electrical gubbins & replace with modern equipment; in which case you're really only interested in the engine. However... it might still be worth buying as you can always flog the SOM alternator separately to get a few bob back.

Ironically, if it's a show engine you want, Spencer's (the other one linked on this thread) might be a better start point, as it already has the water & diesel tanks, and the heavy cast iron exhaust, all of which looks to be original equipment. Spencer's also comes with a bunch of batteries you can flog to offset the cost of buying the unit. Just remember that you have to re-sleeve & re-ring it...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
OK!

I confess.

I don't always get off my ass and get things done - like right now.

I sell, if I can, stuff I've never done anything with since I moved it home many many times.  Most of my exercise equipment gave me more exercise just moving them around than actually working the device as per instructions or video.  I get tired of looking at my unfulfilled dream. 

The important thing to remember is fact and fantasy.  I wish the rest of world were as sane and honorable as me so I I've decided they are.  Get screwed, you say.  Yes, I must answer back but it's because some slicker has got me rather than my having spent my entire day wondering how everyone is going to try. 

Sweet Dreams,

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »
LowGear

You need one of these to go along with your Witte.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 04:43:49 AM »
I dont think it will get pulled. I think it will be setting on its ASH when the buyer picks it up. LOL DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »
His added comments about the Start-o-Matic boxes are quite true. Looking at the state of mine, I'd be very reluctant to rely on the 1950s electronics for anything other than show use. As it happens, my SOM alternator is fritzed anyway, hence using an ST head & a flex plate w/ starter motor to start it.

This is quite often seen on all manner of 1950's wiring in the UK, as the only insulation available at the time was VIR (Vulcanised India Rubber) which with age and particularly long term exposure to light, perishes much in the same way as the sidewall on a tire which has been exposed to light (which is why you always keep new tires in the dark until needed). The electrical components should be OK, so with care this could be easily be rewired with LSF (Low Smoke and Fume) wiring, and providing you did it one wire at a time, you wouldn't need a circuit diagram either.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:51:43 PM by listard-jp2 »

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »
Casey you are my HERO!!!!!!!  I intend to model the next 50 years of my life after you. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
Mike, I'm with you and Casey.
I guess that would be shown by the amount of money I've laid out for engines an ocean (+2000 miles) away  :)
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?