Author Topic: HRW3 Water cooled engine converting to Air cooled  (Read 8114 times)

barry100

• View Profile
HRW3 Water cooled engine converting to Air cooled
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:22:55 AM »
Hi All
I have just bought a Lister HRW3 water cooled engine and would like to convert to air cooled HR3  I have the parts ( but will probably wait till I get a stuffed air cooled one to repair) so I was thinking to use the crankcase and crankshaft con-rods and pistons, anyone had any experience of this sort of project?
Regards Barry

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: HRW3 Water cooled engine converting to Air cooled
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
Why?
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
Why?

Possibly because the watercooled parts are badly corroded [particuarly if this is a marinised version as these engines were sometimes raw water cooled, and fitted with sacrifical Anodes that depended upon regular replacement]. Which is the usual problem with the later Lister engines that were an aircooled design modified to watercooled, and they also have some very quirky design flaws in terms of the cylinder block holding down stud arrangements, which can make cylinder block removal very difficult if the water side of the cylinder head gasket has being leaking.

Also the aircooled engine is cheaper for OEM parts, if you think OEM parts for Lister diesel engines are expensive, then the equivalent watercooled parts are usually 2 -3 times more so.

Quite easy to convert back to aircooled, as all the parts are just bolt on, also the fuel injection equipment is compatible.  However as you have obviously realised you would be much better off obtaining a complete HR3 just for the parts.

The only downside to your proposed modification will be increased engine noise, as the water jacket significantly reduces the noise from the diesel knock of the engine.

Where are you located, as I know of someone who might be interested in the watercooled parts, if they are serviceable. PM me if this sounds interesting.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
I concur, just buy yourself an HR3 air-cooled core to build, or get a good runner. Very expensive to convert otherwise. We too have people looking for the water-cooled parts!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 12:30:22 AM »
Hi All
The reason is I'm into Lister gensets ( they are normally air cooled) and when I get one with a stuffed bottom end I will use the bottom end of the HRW3 engine, also I meant to put this topic  in the engine  section, I haven't stripped the engine yet so I don't know what it's like, my location is in Western Australia, if anyone nearby is interested in some parts  you may email me
regards Barry