Puppeteer

Author Topic: Back After 6 Months - The Indian Listeroid Project  (Read 40681 times)

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
Back After 6 Months - The Indian Listeroid Project
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »
Hi Guys ,
      I Am Back After About 6 Months  ,This Time i Have Spend a Lot of Time Around in My Home state Punjab in india  .I travelled From Maintown chandigarh to around punjab , haryana and himachal pradesh .These are all my countries states .I stay in chandigarh .The following are my finding good enough to write a small book .

The lister Engines ...
    Well there were thousands of lister engines sold all across these three north indian states .They were primarily used in household for chaff cutting machines .At the farms they were mostly used for drawing water .Some people also had this for generating electricity but they were limited ..The Mechanics working on them are rather crude and they do not understand the minor details of putting these engines together with perfection .The people selling spares for lister engine themself never work on the engines and do not possess the knowledge as to what quality stuff they are selling  .  It Does Not Mean That No One Can "ASSEMBLE" a Perfect Lister Engine Here ,People Who Can Go Around In The Market Hunting For Good Spare Can Definitely Assemble a Great Listeroid .i would love to lay my hands on a working lister original engine so that i could tell you if there are still differences .But perfection is something that is not missing in my country ,The issue is that people do not pay for perfection here and this makes the listeroid quality worse .Anyways I Wanted Space So that i could work on these beasts and take your guidance and support to perfect the art of making excellent listeroid engines and tweak them for several usages that indian people do not bother about .So Here It Goes

The Space :
  Well After The partition of land and property with my younger brother i had a large chuck of land with me .The first process was to fortify the same and install two gates to the same  ,Then i wanted to built a small house in this village land so that i my wife and kids could be comfortable to stay here .Well that too is done and the third step was to built a small place for my workers with a attached shed for a lister engine so that i could do my experiments and start the small business of lister Engines , Alternators And Spares .I would Like To Tell You That My Main Business Is Running a Company in chandigarh and chandigarh is around 225 kilometers away from my village badal where i plan to start my lister engine business .Anyways The Next step is To Make a Foundation For The Lister Engine In That Small Shed I Have and Then install The Same There ,Once This Is Done I Plan To Start The business in Full Gear .We Would Be Able To Export Engines And Alternators For Other Countries With The Support Of My Principals .Alternatively we would start selling the spares for the same  .this will be a process in itself as we have many great people on the forums who are 100% more knowledgeable and experienced then us in this .I would Eventually Learn More From You Guys And Slowly Sell superb Quality Material To You Guys Till The Time i Can Source The Same  .

The Shed And The Foundation :

Well i would like to support and guidance to Have a Good Foundation For My Project ,This Shed/Room And Foundation Would Be The Primary Area Where i Would Do My experiments on lister engines .Could you guys share some ideas with me on this .Sometimes i cannot understand the terms you people use due to lauguage barrier but i will try and get your attention to that if i really cannot get it right the first time  ,   

They have no clue :
    People in india have no clue what they should be doing with lister engines they have taken out from thier farms .All of These Engines are rotting out in some of thier rooms in thier houses .There is no one to explain them what they should be doing with the same .Some People Sell Complete Engines For Mere USD 175/- By Weight Of Iron ,This is very sad  .People now have submersible tubewells in thier farms that run by electricity .Only during the elections people here get electricity properly otherwise we have electrical cuts off and on .They do not even have a idea that they can still use that lister engine in the same place to power up the submersible pumps .The alternator made here generally are garbage quality but there are poeple who make excellent alternators also .No mechanic has knowledge about inductive and capacitive load  ,they buy wrong things for the wrong work blaming a poor lister for all the bad things happening  . So the story ends that someone needs to educate them ,explain them so that they understand more about this engine and its potential usage like alternative fuels etc etc .I have thousands of pictures now in my laptop that i am going to upload in my website for the benefit of people here and abroad so that you understand whats going on here in india .In My next posts i would also explain you about the state of the industry of lister engines here in india stay tuned
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:22:46 PM by Amarbir[India] »
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ www.indianlisteroid.com ]
Indian Listers - Research ,Repair And Spares

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Back After 6 Months - The Indian Listeroid Project
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
Amarbir

all i can say is wow!

very informative and very honest look into the issues with the engine business in
your country.

quite interesting,

my very best wishes to you, i suspect there are many here that would be thrilled to have contact with you, offer idea's and feedback on the lister engines.

thanks for taking the time to post

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
Amarbir

all i can say is wow!

very informative and very honest look into the issues with the engine business in
your country.

quite interesting,

my very best wishes to you, i suspect there are many here that would be thrilled to have contact with you, offer idea's and feedback on the lister engines.

thanks for taking the time to post

bob g

Bob ,
 Thanks i am currently at my village and collecting and sorting out the collection of pictures and research material i have collected the last 6 months  .Once this is done i will Start Updating the Website  ,This Time i will putup rates for engines , alternators and also spare parts  .But there is a lot of other info to be shared in the same website with you elite folks .Have a look at some of the Material i Have Collected  .

The Initial Yellarator Pictures - >  Not Published
 The Dismantling Stage Uploaded To My Website Here -> http://www.indianlisteroid.com/30,0,engine-dismantling.html
 The Material Purchase stage -> Not Published
 The Assembling stage  - >  Not Published
 The Cleaning stage -> Not Published

this Project Has Approx 270 Pictures ,Which i will Upload .Then i Have a Very Detailed imaging and Videos Of the 2nd Engine Restoration .this Also will Span More then 750 To 1000 Odd Pictures .Then I Have Pictures Of Some Research Work i did Like You Can See an Example Here

Listeroid Cutting Stones + Generating Power + Water Pumping [ Poor Listeroid Haa Haa ]

Regards

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
Amarbir

Sir I have been thinking of you and what happened to you .

You posted quite a little and then nothing.

I agree with bob WOW.

Hope you can help your people and yourself gain the knowledge that will make your lives better.

You can count on this forum and it's members to be behind you 100%

You need to take note of the upcoming outage as this forum is moving to a more reliable server it was off line for a while good thing you did not come looking to post a week ago as it was offline.

It might be possible to do business with you as this country needs quality parts. If you could supply them and the shipping and banking banking problems can be overcome in one form or another.

All my best to you and your hopes for a better way of life Using the lister-oid.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

BigGreen

• View Profile
    • Mach1Pony
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:37:13 PM »
Amarbir
Love your web site, photo's  and frustrating story. Let me know when it finished so I can read up.
Can I hire Pal to overhaul mine?  :D

Dave
Dave
More Power Ashwamegh 25/2 15kw

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »
Good to hear from you again Amarbir. If I may offer a suggestion to start your business. Setup a store on Ebay and start selling quality spares in US and other nations. Given the weight of Listeroid parts a method of low cost shipping is the key to competitive pricing. Due to the EPA new engines can not be sold here, however it is ok to buy all the parts to build one. Also since many dealers are now gone a reliable source of spares is key to keeping our engines going.

After you acquire your genuine Dursley Lister, you could build a web site to show how the Indian parts can be used on the original machines. That will greatly expand the spares market for you.

Due to all the rotating mass of the Listeroid engine, when coupled with the correct alternator, it is ideal for starting submersible pump motors in deep wells.

Good luck with your projects, you sound like a man who can get things done.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:23 AM »

Amarbir

Very comprehensive website showing your progress.
Please keep us posted as things progress.

well done,
veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »
Amarbir

Sir I have been thinking of you and what happened to you .

You posted quite a little and then nothing.

I agree with bob WOW.

Hope you can help your people and yourself gain the knowledge that will make your lives better.

You can count on this forum and it's members to be behind you 100%

You need to take note of the upcoming outage as this forum is moving to a more reliable server it was off line for a while good thing you did not come looking to post a week ago as it was offline.

It might be possible to do business with you as this country needs quality parts. If you could supply them and the shipping and banking banking problems can be overcome in one form or another.

All my best to you and your hopes for a better way of life Using the lister-oid.

Billswan

Well,
 Thanks i have been on this project lately and i do not go to any other forums ,the only place you will find me is my www.indianlisteroid.com website and this forum  .Well i call that my forums lolz  .BTW if there is a issue of space i have my own VPS servers now i can host this forum for free if the admin wants  .No problem man  .Well see i have a running business of computers also in my hometown chandigarh .Have a look at the business website www.lynx-india.com .I have a main company official blog website called www.lynxchandigarh.com And Also have a retail website www.lynx-india.com and a dealer website thats under construction called www.lynxdealerstore.com  . Then i have many small small websites www.indianlisteroid.com is one of them BTW .The Plan is That We Have a Small Website Called www.indianlisteroid.com and then redirect dealers to dealer website and retail user to retail website  .Well thats for the business i do but currently i am in reasearch mode for lister products  And Gaining Knowledge Yet ,Thats The Reason You will find Nothing of any lister engine on my retail website www.lynx-india.com yet  .Anyways i am glad you people have not forgotton me  ;D .Good To know you have friends who still are active ,I will be pretty active in the forums lately .I Would Like To Know How You Guys Can Help Me In Maksing a Reliable Foundation for my project in my village ,what all details are required by you people for this  .
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:56 AM »
Amarbir
Love your web site, photo's  and frustrating story. Let me know when it finished so I can read up.
Can I hire Pal to overhaul mine?  :D

Dave

Dave ,
 You Know Whats The Most Funny Part  ,The Mechanic I Hired in Chandigarh Was Called Pal and To My Horror I Have another mechanic in my village called pal again haa haa haa  ,What a coincidence right  .I have more then a thousand photos that i am going to upload in the website soon  .i am just sorting out some of them ,Like have a look at this rusted engine that runs like a charm now

Papas Old Lister Engine

Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 07:04:46 AM »
Good to hear from you again Amarbir. If I may offer a suggestion to start your business. Setup a store on Ebay and start selling quality spares in US and other nations. Given the weight of Listeroid parts a method of low cost shipping is the key to competitive pricing. Due to the EPA new engines can not be sold here, however it is ok to buy all the parts to build one. Also since many dealers are now gone a reliable source of spares is key to keeping our engines going.

After you acquire your genuine Dursley Lister, you could build a web site to show how the Indian parts can be used on the original machines. That will greatly expand the spares market for you.

Due to all the rotating mass of the Listeroid engine, when coupled with the correct alternator, it is ideal for starting submersible pump motors in deep wells.

Good luck with your projects, you sound like a man who can get things done.

Respected Tom ,
    Ebay in indian is frustration ,But i have a website called www.lynx-india.com And i am going to upload all the lister spares on it soon ,BTW if any of you people need anything do let me know i can source it and ship it right away also  .I Am having lister stuff more of a hobby then making money and hence be rest assured the rates would be great ,What do you think should be used for shipping  .Indian postal dept is a good idea btw they are cheaper .But ship would be cheapest provided someone wants cart loads of spares  .People in India Just Do Not Know What To Do with these engines  .Education is the key here ,Once my indianlisteroid website is complete they will have quite a idea whats they should be doing with these though  .BTW what are the most common parts you people require for overhauling a lister @ your place in USA etc etc
Regards

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 07:06:09 AM »

Amarbir

Very comprehensive website showing your progress.
Please keep us posted as things progress.

well done,
veggie

Well,
 Great ,I Am Currently Sorting Out The Pictures And Reasearch Material So That i Could start The addition to the website  .
Regards

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »
let me start a list for you

1. induction hardened cylinder liners would be nice

2. pistons

3. piston rings

4. rod big end brgs, without the upper shell grooves or holes would be really nice
as well as the standard type with the holes and grooves

5. injectors and injection pumps, high pressure injector lines

6. bronze cam idler gears

7. valves, springs and keepers, and those little valve caps

8. gaskets and rubber seal kits

those are a few of what would be my favorite things, if i had a lister!

how are you at sourcing metro petteroid parts?  or transformer controlled alternators
and their repair parts?

i am sure many others will give you a better idea as to what the needs might be.

bob g

Amarbir[India]

• Indianlisteroid
    • View Profile
    • The indian Listeroid
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
let me start a list for you

1. induction hardened cylinder liners would be nice

2. pistons

3. piston rings

4. rod big end brgs, without the upper shell grooves or holes would be really nice

5. injectors and injection pumps, high pressure injector lines

6. bronze cam idler gears

7. valves, springs and keepers, and those little valve caps

8. gaskets and rubber seal kits

those are a few of what would be my favorite things, if i had a lister!

how are you at sourcing metro petteroid parts?  or transformer controlled alternators
and their repair parts?

i am sure many others will give you a better idea as to what the needs might be.

bob g

Hello Bob ,
    Here You Go  .

Q : 1. induction hardened cylinder liners would be nice
A : Well Many People Make Liners For Listers ,the Following is The info i have some of the terms i yet do not understand  ,Take a Example of a Lister 5/1 [ 114.30mm) 4+1 Also Available Is 3+2 For Rs :25/- Extra .

1 :  Antifile Super Hard Chrome Comp Set For Lister 5/1 @ Rs :1132/-
2 : Centrifugal Super Hard Cast Comp Set For Lister 5/1 @ Rs :1034/-
3 : Centrifugal Hard Cast Plus Comp Set for Lister 5/1 @ Rs :1114/- [ * ]
4 : Centrifugal High Power Comp Set For Lister 5/1 @ Rs :1064/- [ ** ]

• :Plus Set Includes Centricast Cly Liner , Graded Quality Allu/Ci Piston ,Top Chrome Spring Loaded Ring Set [ Goetze/USHA/PC ]
[**] :High Power Set Includes Centricast Cly Liner , Premium Quality High LM/CI Metal Piston ,Top Chrome Spring Loaded Ring Set [ Goetze/USHA/PC ]

Well i am still alien to some terms here like LM ,Hopefully CI means cast iron IMHO .In 8/1 We Have Normal ,Then CI ,Then Allu ,So There Are Many Terms  ,And This Makes The Quality of a Lister Good Or Bad ,If a Vendor is selecting useless garbage output will be like that only right .

Q :2 : Pistons  
A :  Here They Have For Lister 5/1 Same Example .

1 : Basic Piston/Gudgeon Pins/Circlip @ Rs :447
2 : Piston ,Gudgeon Pins/Circlip [ * ]
                     I=Plain Ring @ Rs :511/-
                     II=T/C Ring @ Rs :531/-
3 : Piston ,Gudgean Pins/Circlip [ ** ]
                      I=Plain Ring @ Rs :511/-
                     II=T/C Ring @ Rs :531/-
  • : Individual Cast Special Ring I = Plain ring , II = Top Chrome Ring
[**] : Geoze/PC/USHA Rings I = Plain ring , II = Top Chrome Ring

Q : 4 : Piston rings :
A: You see that many times its already bundled ,But i feel Some Brands Make Great Rings Like Geoze/PC/USHA .We Can Find Out The Best of The Best for you people  .

Q : 4. rod big end brgs, without the upper shell grooves or holes would be really nice
A : Well Do You Mean CR Bearings ? . I Never Knew The Top Shell Could Have Groves or holes in that ,Does that help in better lubrication man  .Or Are You Taking About The Main Crankshaft Bearings Here  .Sorry went above my head .

Q :5. injectors and injection pumps, high pressure injector lines
A : Well injectors Can Also Be Sourced ,Injector Pumps  You Means Fuel Pump Right  .Injector Lines Good Once Can Also Be Sourced Absolutely No Issue  .

Q :6. bronze cam idler gears
A : Well Could You Explain Me What you Are Talking About Here ,Can you Show Me a Picture Of this Please  .We Can Something Something Else In Native Language .How About making a Guide of the material with pricing in one sticky thread With Pictures .  ;D

Q : 7. valves, springs and keepers, and those little valve caps
A : Yup No Issues in This Too  .

Q :gaskets and rubber seal kits
A : Well They Come is Variety some are thin and some are thick ,Specially The Gasket On The Cylinder Head for Value Clearance    
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:17:09 PM by Amarbir[India] »
Regards

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 06:16:22 AM »
from what you have reported the 4-1 refers probably to 4 compression and 1 oil control ring, and 3-2 refers to 3 compression and 2 oil control rings

also the different spec's for cylinder liners, apparently india produces common liners
as well as hardened liners

my bet is every engine ever built for export to this country gets the cheapest cylinder liners available, and most engine's would surely benefit from the hardened ones.

it does not appear that the extra cost for a hardened liner is significant, at maybe a 10% extra cost?

if i had a listeroid, i would be ordering the higher quality and more expensive parts from you!

a hard liner, higher quality piston with 4 compression and 1 oil control ring, plain bottom end brgs, a dipper to feed oil into the big end, a bronze camshaft idler gear,
one of xyz'ers offset idler bolts, a head gskt from gaskets to go, and a careful, clean and to spec assembly might well result in an indian lister that would be far superior to
anything we have got here in the past.

i think you might well be able to do some business with folks here and over at
www.microcogen.info , you might want to post over there as well

i know i am going to post a cross link over their to your post here!

thanks
bob g

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
Hello Amarbir,
You would also find a good market for Lister parts in the UK but we would need parts to fit the UK built Lister engine.
I would be interested in buying good quality castings from you, as the original Dursley castings are no longer available.
One of the problems you will find is that there is a difference between some of the Indian and British parts. One example is the 8/1 rings you have listed (3x1). These will fit the Indian made 8/1 but the British engine has a larger top ring.
This company makes many of the bearings sold in the UK, and they appear good quality.
http://www.vasantbrass.com/main.htm
They would also supply the ‘Bronze cam gear’ that Bob mentioned.