Author Topic: Help in Id on this Lister  (Read 11601 times)

dieseldawg

• View Profile
Help in Id on this Lister
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
Newcomer here!  I have been poking around here for a bit and made the jump..I am looking for a Lister and am learning as I go regrading various models, hp, ect.  I found this one and cannot identify which model this one is.  The owner stated that it is an 18hp and thats all I have along with these pics:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/pagelutes/public/3n33oa3l95Y65T05U1b1qd819b2e9f4af16af.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/pagelutes/public/3n83m53ob5Y35O25X5b1q547095debb2e1d1a.jpg

spencer1885

• View Profile
Re: Help in Id on this Lister
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:40:46 PM »
Welcome :)
Not my best subject but I would say it is air cooled and looks more like 6 hp.
At a guess it's an LD if that's even the correct lettering.
What do you want to do with it ?

Spencer

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »
I am looking to drive a genset.  The power needed is at least 4k but more is ok as well.  The key to the decision is the fuel consumption; if I can get an average of .5 gal per hour, it inks out for me.  I originally have been looking at the the simpler CS models, but they are hard to come it seems for my budget

btw- current owner used this as an engine for irrigation.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Which part of the world are located?
As this will make a very big difference to what's available.
When I know where you are I can make some suggestions.

Spencer

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
I am in Montana.

I did try to contact Mike with the 12/1 but so far, no response

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »
I've got to power down the generator now, Ill speak to you another time. cheers

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:07 AM »
There will be whole bunch of Lister engines that will be auctioned off from the UK. The purchase price will include shipping to the US to Dodge City KS. Then the buyer will be responsible from there. There is another option. I have a container with a group of people and the shipping for each person should come in around 5 to 700 dollars from the UK to Dodge. Many of these people will be grouping together to pick up the engines to save on shipping. Spencer had a couple of engines that he was wanting to sell. If you could work out a deal with him you could join our group and put you engine on. If you are interested I can let you know more. Mike DD
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
I found this one and cannot identify which model this one is.  The owner stated that it is an 18hp and thats all I have along with these pics:

Thats going to be one of the following models LD, LR, SL, or SR.

Its most likely to either be a SL1 or SR1, as you will notice the flywheel fan shroud is round the wrong way compared to what you would normally see, indicating that this engine runs counter-clockwise. The SL has rounded cylinder barrel fins, and the SR has almost square fins of a very fine pitch.

BHP is going to be in the region of 4 - 7 depending on model and speed settings.

You can confirm what model it is yourself by looking at the engine data plate (located on the injector pump inspection door), if this is missing, these details are also replicated on the flywheel.

The engine type will be contained in the serial number.

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
thanks so much for the info on this engine.  The more I learn, the more I need to learn! :laugh:

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
Hi,
Is your possible generator project just for fun , or is it to save money on electric ?
What do you want to run of it ?, your house.
Have you got a supply of veg oil ?

Spencer

dieseldawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:42 AM »
I am currently building so I have options at this point.  I would like to have a bank of batteries that would be charged by passive solar and primarily by a generator.  I do .  have plenty of WMO to use and the facitlities to process it (filter and centrifuge) to make it worth my while; I have a diesel truck that can run on WMO (cummins 12v) and if it can handle that fuel, I am confident that a Lister(oid) can handle the same.  I have a line on a 6/1 for about 2300 dollars from India, but I think I want a bit more power generation.  And for that price, I think I can be a bit more patient.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
Did the USA not produce old diesel engines that are cheap to buy?
As a Listeroid or Petteroid don't seem any better at burning crap fuel than any other old diesel, and you said your cummins runs fine on crap, then why go to the hassle of buying Indian, Chinese or British built engines?
Just my opinion but may be just buy a cheap engine run it until it dies, then just buy another cheap engine.
How about a petrol engine and run it on gas from any thing you can produce gas with?

Cheers
Spencer

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
Spencer the USA produced numerous engines in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Most of these engines which would be slow speed have either gone to scrap or into someones collection. The only slow speed engine I know of now being produced which is slow speed is the Arrow engine. That first of all is a gas engine, (natural gas or propane) which unless you are a lucky farmer getting free natural gas from a well it will not offset the investement. This is why so many people are excited about getting engines from the UK. The listeriod clone has been a substute for this and the Changfa has also helped. As for people wanting to do this to help offset and electric bill that is up to the indvidual themselves. In some cases it is possible and in others it might not be. I will say the power companies over here feel that are the only solution. Well when there become enough people tired of the attitude they have there will be other options. This can be seen in the telephone companies. Thirty years ago there was only one phone company. Then we had several companies born from there. Well nedless to say most of the companies are suffering because cell phones came into being offering a better deal. This is what will happen with the electric companies someday. Where you live 50 years ago having electricty to your house was unheard of. It was not unsual for most people to have generators. It might happen again over there sometime when you electric companies pants get to big. Mike PS sorry for the long post and for any mis spells. I want the spell check back LOL

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Hi DD,
You don't have to use slow speed engines, as a gas powered modern generator has still got some plus points, and if it's only used for top ups and dull days it should  last a long time
 May be petrol engines run on gas made at home need considering.
Just an idea
Spencer

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
Actually Spencer petrol engines is probably the next step. As wood gas and methane continue to become more popular like solar and wind energy has then petrol engines will follow. There are probably a 1000 lister engines in Colorado pulled form oil fields ran in Canada of natural gas. These are mostly air colled so thery will not be the first choice for CHP systems. That is something that is really catching on big with the population. When you look at harvesting energy from the entire system the cost is more efective. Creating electricty to power the lights, heat to warm the house and hot water to keep the hot tub warm. The total package. So if you find the need to sale some of you items take advantage of the people looking in the US for what you have to offer. With the containers coming over it make it possible for people over here to get one. No matter where the furture steers us there will still be the love of the slow speed engines for the collector.