Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister generator project  (Read 14170 times)

spencer1885

• View Profile
Lister generator project
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
I thought I'd post a few pics of my next project.
I have a pto generator which I have tried on the back of my tractor and it worked really well.
The Lister FR1 is going to power it.
I have to make a frame to mount it all on and also fit a large dynamo I have for charging my battery bank.
I think I might use a Petter AA1 to start it as I have a spare engine and this would mean I could always be able to start it at any time without the use of a battery.

Also a few pictures of a spare FR2 and my CS which I am using at the moment and also my Lister FR2 generator which runs large loads.

Spencer

* Have had a problem uploading the pics. I'll try again later - unless someone can tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:30:36 PM by spencer1885 »

billswan

• View Profile
Re: Lister generator project
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
do you have the pix successfully uploaded to a host site?

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Hi, no they are just files on my computer.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »
Hi, no they are just files on my computer.

This site can only link to pix on other site's it cannot host pix that I am aware of anyway.

Try posting your pix on a hosting site Like http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php it is free.

Then once you have your pix there you can link to them and they will appear here.

Billswan

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
Cheers,
I will up load my pictures and then post the link when it's done.
Spencer

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
Live near a stream?

I dang near fell out of my char when I read this... so simple and pretty much made out of spare parts... (not really, just seems that way...)

http://www.pumpfundamentals.com/pumps_as_turbines.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRl0ztxn094

Was reading of all the troubles you were having with WMO...

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »
Ok I finally managed to get them uploaded! Hope it works....fingers crossed....

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4612

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
I wish I did live near a stream as this set up would fantastic.
 ;D

I would like wind and solar power but solar is to expensive and wind is not any good in my area unless I built a massive structure.
I like engines and would always have one to play with ,so combining power generation with a engine is fun.
One day solar panels will be cheap but I may be a old man before that happens. ;D

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »
OK Spencer

Now for more on posting pix.

To get the pix to automatically display here. Follow these directions.

Now this is based on windows if you use another system I cannot help.

You open the pix on the hosting site in the size you want it displayed here, bear in mind not everyone has good access to a fast connection and displaying 10 full size pix here will create a posting that someone on dial up might never be able to afford the download time to view.

You then right click on the pix and then pick from the menu that appears  " copy image location " left click that choice.

Now you leave that site and start you post here when you come to the point where you want the pix you get the cursor over the 2nd from left square square radio button that is called insert image in the pop up window now it is important to left click that button but not move the cursor off it. Some brackets will appear on the screen.You then hold down the control key and then press the V key this will fill in the link to the pix and will set in motion programing script that will bring the pix to your post each time someone opens the post here. That is so long as the hosting site is on line.

Clear as mud? Well practice practice practice. Don't be afraid to ask I know I had to ask and another poster helped me figure out the secret.

Here is your 6/1 in the smaller thumbnail format.

Billswan

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:58:48 PM by wrightkiller »

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
Thanks for the help, I think I should be all right now.
I will try loading a picture of my waste oil fired central heating boiler when I gets some more batteries for the camera.
 :)

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
I have uploaded more pics to the gallery. There are pictures of my rain water harvesting tanks, which we collect the water off the roof for use in our our house and garden. There are also pics of my battery bank and inverter. Workshop air compressor, which I fitted a petter AC1 so it now stops and starts itself depending on the air pressure in the tank. There is also the Omni waste oil central heating boiler and a Thermobile heater which I fitted a back boiler too.

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
I did a bit of work on the Lister FR1 today and I cleaned out the fuel filter which is not a nice job as it's built in to the engine block.
It must have never been cleaned out as it has at least an inch of crud in the bottom which was solid.
I removed a cover and clean the sump out which was not to bad and filled it with fresh oil.
Then I removed the water pump and split it in two to check the bearings and most importantly the seals.
All was in excellent condition apart from one surface where one of the seals sits against.
Tomorrow I'm going to put the pump body in to my lathe and turn the pitted area down so the seal will sit properly and make a good watertight  seal.
Cheers
Spencer

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
I decided to leave turning the water pump body until the week end,so instead I removed the valve gear cover and top box.
It was very clean as far as black oil goes but did have a bit of dust and some grit stuck in the oil.
Just a light spray with WD40 and a blow with the air line soon got it real clean.
Very well engineered are these Lister FR's with oil feeds to any moving parts and every thing is over engineered.
If I could get a free supply of veg oil this engine would be a superb engine for running on it.
The fuel filter is part of the engine block and is really deep ideal for heating the veg oil and the crap could settle to the bottom where their is a drain.
The injector is kept nice and hot along with the pump and fuel lines, all under covers snug next to the engine block.

Spencer

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
Going to reuse the massive cast base that came with the engine as it's weight might help to keep it from jumping about ;D
The base is really long as it originally had an alternator and then behind that a massive dynamo.
Then I need to turn out the engines drive coupling to fit the alternators shaft ,at the moment the alternator is still part of a PTO generating set.
Getting the alternator lined up to the engine is not going to be much fun.