Author Topic: Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic Engine  (Read 28204 times)

spencer1885

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 6-1 Startomatic Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
   Matthew,   you`re  just a bitter jealous guy with 2 worn out CS cylinders and a shot FR1, get a life!

I have been a member on this forum and other stationary engine forums for a long time as it's a hobby of mine.
From your sudden appearance on this forum only as part of this project has me thinking you're a dealer and only interested in margins and not the hobby of collecting stationary engines.
In my opinion the engines you have for auction aren't very good examples and I am sure our American friends will be disappointed when they find that their engine may be worn out and needs rebuilding.
As genuine CS parts are nearly all gone they will have to use Indian parts anyway.
I think showing an engine running with a plate stuck over a cracked block does not prove that it's not worn out and the repaired block does not do a potential buyer any favours.
Perhaps these engines should be sold as needing repair or rebuilding, that would be the fairest way of going about it.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 02:31:12 AM »
Spencer I have been on this forum for quite awhile so I feel I have the same rights as you do. I also have the ability to make things happen. I was told that bringing engines would be almost impossible. I decided I was going to make it happen one way or another. The auction was a way for people who had issues with sending money to the UK before the engine was delivered. As for the risk the buyers will take is much less than buying from eBay. What I don't understand is WHY you are such a negative person. You are not part of this auction. I did not look to you for character reference for the sellers. So what is your motivation in acting this way???? As far as collectors we have those in the US so Mark and Pete are providing this service for them. I am personal friends with everyone I am doing business with so I state my reputation on them. I believe my reputation is solid. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge using WMO so why don't you use your energy spreading that knowledge instead of what you are doing?????
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:34:13 AM by DRDEATH »
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:53 AM »
Dear Mr. spencer 1885,

I think you're over the edge.  A friendly warning or caution is one thing and often a good rule to follow.  Rude unsubstantiated accusations are another matter.  DRDEATH has worked with a number of LEF posters and I've not seen one negative post about him.  Please take a moment and separate what you know from what you imagine and post accordingly.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

spencer1885

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Good morning every one,
I have not at any time said this auction was a bad idea or that DRDEATH is doing any thing than an excellent job.
I am sure that DD is a genuine person and is doing this for all the right reasons, but my comments and concerns are genuine ones and buyers should be made aware of the fact that these engines are very old and will probably need a rebuild or repair.
 :)
Spencer

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »
Maybe look at it this way; if you buy an old UK CS engine, irrespective of where you buy it, view it the same as a new Listeroid from India. Work on the idea that it will need a complete rebuild.
Instead of sand in the crankcase you’ll find years worth of thick black oil that has set like tar. This stuff is as black as black gets and transports itself everywhere. Invest in some good ear protectors; you’ll need them when your partner discovers it on the best house carpet!
You won’t find any badly made parts or ill fitting castings (if all are original) but you will find parts that are worn out and castings that have cracked.
CS engines will still start and run with incredible amounts of wear on the bearings and rings but if left too long it ruins more expensive parts. Budget for at least new rings, bearings and a set of gaskets but don’t be too upset if it needs a re-bore, new piston and machine work on the crank.
It’s worth remembering that most of these engines are now over forty years old and, in their later lives, have often been ‘serviced’ by folks who are trying to get the last bit out of them, just like we’ve all done with old cars. I’ve seen all sorts added; piston rings from gods knows where, bottom big end bearings drilled to replace a top, rag oil seals in cracked main bearing casting ends, wooden shims in worn cam bearings and many castings that have been fashioned from parts of old tractors. I could go on, but my glass is empty!
If you buy an original SOM unit then anticipate a re-wire as minimum.
On the bright side, once you’ve rebuilt your engine, it will last a long time. It may even last longer than me, and I’m 94 this birthday.   ;)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
Hey Bottleveg,

You think you know something just because your older than me?  You were only twenty-eight years old when I was born.  Do you think anyone is going to respect this call to reality and civility that your posting represents?  We can hope.

Happy birthday.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:11 AM »
Bottleveg are you sure you didn't get the numbers turned around. 49???????  Casey thanks for the kind words earlier. Are you back to the warm climate???Mike DD
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:46:51 AM by DRDEATH »

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 04:28:58 AM »
If you follow, would that be death warmed over ????    ;D ;D :D
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:49 AM »
Well ok, I’m not good with the arrangement of numbers. I can do figures!
The bottom line is this; if you have an old British built Lister engine it will last a long time so make provision for it in your will.
Only the other day I was showing my daughter what she will inherit. She’s 21 now and, sadly, was not impressed. But one day she will realise the connection between a starting handle and hair strengtheners.  :D

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
Maybe look at it this way; if you buy an old UK CS engine. Work on the idea that it will need a complete rebuild.
Instead of sand in the crankcase you’ll find years worth of thick black oil that has set like tar. This stuff is as black as black gets and transports itself everywhere.
You won’t find any badly made parts or ill fitting castings (if all are original) but you will find parts that are worn out and castings that have cracked.
CS engines will still start and run with incredible amounts of wear on the bearings and rings but if left too long it ruins more expensive parts. Budget for at least new rings, bearings and a set of gaskets but don’t be too upset if it needs a re-bore, new piston and machine work on the crank.
It’s worth remembering that most of these engines are now over forty years old and, in their later lives, have often been ‘serviced’ by folks who are trying to get the last bit out of them, just like we’ve all done with old cars. I’ve seen all sorts added; piston rings from gods knows where, bottom big end bearings drilled to replace a top, rag oil seals in cracked main bearing casting ends, wooden shims in worn cam bearings and many castings that have been fashioned from parts of old tractors. I could go on, but my glass is empty!

Wise words indeed, these engines will take alot of abuse but it takes its toll. As long as you expect the worse and budget accordingly you wont be disappointed. From my own experience there is no substitute for original Lister engine parts if you want a trouble free engine. However there is an ever increasing demand for a diminishing supply, and increasingly Indian clone parts are the only viable option for most people.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
Brett I think some weeks I am warmed over. When the container finally gets full then loaded life will be better. I would like to add. I have been told by some people that the parts from India seem to be better quality than the same parts thrown into engines. I am sure it is still a poor substitute for real Lister parts. DD