Author Topic: Petter plans  (Read 7480 times)

KellyR

• View Profile
Petter plans
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
The machine shop guys at the college where I work are looking for a machining project for this coming semester.  They want to try something other than the 2-strokers they've normally built.  I've been more and more interested in the old Petter M series 1 1/2 hp engines since I'd like a very small diesel with flywheels. 

Does anyone know of where I can get schematics of those old Petters? 

Kelly

KellyR

• View Profile
Re: Petter plans
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:51:17 AM »
Maybe I should be less specific.  I'm looking for the plans for a very small, perhaps 1 1/2 hp double flywheel, water cooled, diesel engine.  Ok, maybe that was being MORE specific.  Thing is the plans don't have to be Petter.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
The Petter M,although described as an oil engine was a spark ignition paraffin engine.I was also a two stroke.I cannot think of anything in the diesel line that fits your needs except I think Petter did make a watercooled version of the AA/AB/AC/AD series but these are single flywheel and all ally construction.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
I cannot think of anything in the diesel line that fits your needs except I think Petter did make a watercooled version of the AA/AB/AC/AD series but these are single flywheel and all ally construction.

That's almost correct, as Petter made watercooled versions of the AB and AC (series1) range only, and these engines were know as ABW1, ACW1, and even a twin cylinder version was made ACW2. these could be bought as just a watercooled engine (rare), or more likely as a complete marinised engine and gearbox.

The marinised ACW1 was know as the 'mini-6', and the marinised ACW2 was known as the 'mini-twin'

The AA1 when launched was the the smallest capacity 4-stroke diesel engine in the world, the AB1 is a longer stoke version, and the AC1 is both longer stroke and 1/4" increase in bore size over the AA1. All these engines are very similar in external dimensions and appearance.

The water cooled engines are OK, but can suffer badly from cylinder head corrosion (as they are cast Aluminium) due to the cylinder barrel being cast iron and also that the marine engines are usually raw water cooled. Petters made the water cooled heads from Aluminium as a cost saving measure, so they could machine both air cooled and water cooled heads on the same production line.

These engines do appear on Ebay (UK) periodically, but usually are in need of some TLC, due to the cylinder head corrosion problem

KellyR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:49:23 PM »
Thanks for the info about the Petters.  I hadn't realized the M was spark ignition.  It's a nice looking little engine.

I'm in the US and diesel stationary engines are pretty rare.  The Lister types aren't allowed into the US any more thanks to the EPA.  I think I got one of the last Indian made Listeroids.  It's a great engine and something like it on a smaller scale is what my colleagues in the machine shop want to try with their students.  So, we need plans.